• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Soooo tired

femaletrouble

Bluelighter
Im taking some meds at the moment that realy make me tired even after 9hrs sleep! Im currently taking 15mg mirtazepine at night for deppresion...20mg olanzapine for psyhois. Now most days im strugglimg to keep my eyes open i feel exhasted good thing im off sick i could hold dow a job . So i drink couple of cups of coffee for the caffeine but im still sleepy! Now on to my question would 2 ×200mg caffeine pills help if i take them responably i carnt get any anphets?

How long have you been taking the meds for? In my experience anti-depressants cause me to be really sleepy but after a week or two it starts going away and by a month it's mostly gone. But at first it can be bad and as a person that enjoys being active that almost added to any depressed feelings.

The olanzapine sounds basically like a sedative which will make you really tired. Not sure if it will get better the longer you are on it but I imagine so but that is just a guess. It also sounds like you are on a higher dose. How many times a day do you take it? If just once, do you take it in the evening so it will make you the most tired when you are supposed to be sleeping?

If you don't mind me asking, was it a drug induced psychosis? Or from a mental disorder or something else?

Are you taking any other drugs, prescription or recreational?

You can try taking caffeine but it may just make you jittery and anxious instead of making you less tired. Caffeine never has given me energy and just keeps me from falling asleep even when sleepy but I know everyone isn't like that. Can try and see if it helps and if not I would stop taking it. You may just need to give them some time so your body can adjust.

Do you know how long your Dr plans on keeping you on the 20 mg med? Maybe call him and leave a msg saying they are making you extremely sleepy and you don't like it and really want to talk to someone about it. Someone will have to call back most likely and see what they say. Ask if you could maybe possibly reduce the amount of the 20 mg med and still be helpful. Or if you could split it in half and take twice a day and see if that will reduce the sleepy effect. But for meds that are prescribed for a medical condition you probably should take as directed and ask if something can be adjusted before doing it yourself. Calling is a great way to get that answer more quickly without having to wait for an appointment. Since it's the weekend you may have to wait until Monday. But depending on the Dr they may have an answering service where someone on call can call back. Just let them know you really want to talk to someone and that you are being treated for psychosis.

Give it some time and talk to your doctor and I'm sure something can help even if you just have to wait a while to get used to them.

Sometimes a little light exercise can help wake you up and increase your metabolism. Maybe try going for an easy walk a couple times a day.

Good luck and hope you feel better soon!

Both drugs can cause tiredness, therefore it is not strange that you feel tired.

One solution would be to change mirtazepine to a SSRI or SNRI to treat your depression instead. Most SSRIs and SNRIs will not make your tired as mirtazepine does. Mirtazepine is an atypical antidepressant, which makes it different from SSRIs and SNRIs and one of the reasons that it makes users tired when most SSRIs and SNRIs don't. If you suffer from psychosis you probably need your anti-psychotic medication, so we cannot make any changes there.

Have long have you been taking both? With time you should build a tolerance and thus become less tired from the medication.

But caffeine pills if definitely as possibility. I use them when I need an extra boost before training or I have am really tired at work and my stomach starts to get in troubles due to too much coffee :p However, even though caffeine is not that powerful a stimulant, stimulants might make your psychosis worse, so you have to be careful with your use. If you are new to the medication, I would advice that you wait and see if you will get less tired when you get used to the medications. If you have taken the medications for several months, caffeine pills might be a help.

Okay, if you suffer from insomnia as a symptom of your depression mirtazepine is the correct choice. Have your sleep improved after starting on mirtazepine?

Concerning Olanzapine, 20 mg is a normal dosage if you have been on it for a couple on months. Normally when a new person starts on Olanzapine he will receive 5 mg a day slowly increasing to dosage to 20 mg. 40 mg is the highest amount advised to take. So it seems like your dosage of Olanzapine is fine. It would suggest that you take the Olanzapine before you have to sleep as well and not during the day.
You should have followed the same method with mirtazepine slowly increasing to dosage. The normal dosage here is 15-45 mg each day divided in two dosages (especially if you are in the high end of the spectrum I listed). However, 20 mg of mirtazepine taken in one dosages before you go to sleep seems like a relatively conservative dosage.

Thus, your dosages seems to be okay. Thus, you should, with time adjust the the dosage and this should help with your tiredness. If you have suffered from insomnia for a long time, it make take month before you start feeling normal again btw. This might also be a cause, however less unlikely unless your insomnia was severe over a long period of time. But if you have been slowly increasing your doses to the doses that you are taking now, you might not yet be used to your dose, despite the fact that you have been taking the medications for two months. I think with time, your tiredness will be more manageable as you get used to the medication and achieve a normal sleeping pattern again. After my problems with insomnia I think it took a month of good sleep (6-8 hours uninterrupted sleep) before I started to feel normal again.

Until then caffeine pills are a possibility, but as I wrote before, due to your problems with psychosis, high amounts of stimulants might not be a good idea (even mild stimulants).