• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Sonic hedgehog protein

The Holy Quadruplty

Bluelighter
I just discovered that there's a receptor called the Sonic hedgehog protein. Does anybody know anything about it? The only thing I know is that meprobamate may bind to it.

You might be referring to this nonsense post by a member a while back:

P0Fm7hP.png

It's nonsense, there is no such receptor.

At least I assume it's nonsense, as that would be a stupid name for a receptor/protein.

You might be referring to this nonsense post by a member a while back:

P0Fm7hP.png

It's nonsense, there is no such receptor.

At least I assume it's nonsense, as that would be a stupid name for a receptor/protein.
Problem solved. Closed.

BDD —> NPD and thread reopened

Wikipedia entry for the protein here for those who are interested

I’ve never heard meprobamate binding to it do you have the paper that says that? Admittedly I don’t know much about it

I learned about sonic hedgehog as being important in guiding the early stages of CNS development in vertebrates. I’m not sure how much of a role it plays in life after that though

BDD —> NPD and thread reopened

Wikipedia entry for the protein here for those who are interested

I’ve never heard meprobamate binding to it do you have the paper that says that? Admittedly I don’t know much about it

I learned about sonic hedgehog as being important in guiding the early stages of CNS development in vertebrates. I’m not sure how much of a role it plays in life after that though
It said it had a probability that it binds to it on the swiss target predictor.

It said it had a probability that it binds to it on the swiss target predictor.
That doesn’t mean meprobamate actually binds to SHH. Just that drugs similar to it might. It’s an AI making guesses not lab work actually demonstrating binding

Even the US gov acknowledges this "Sonic hedgehog signalling pathway". And we all now how much people believe in the what the US says here,, so it must be true.

Hopefully this helps some OP, unless you've already seen it. I knew nothing of it!
Although im not sure it sounds like a receptor but more like some kind of mechanism that they have chosen to give a very odd name to. Also something expressed in tissues I guess?
It's hilarious reading some of these abstracts tho when they refer to it. lol

Like this one - https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7891723/

Dunno if this is referring to humans or animals tho. Says mouse and chicken embryo's in the second link.

Last edited:
In what context did you see this?
On the swiss target predictor website

Even the US gov acknowledges this "Sonic hedgehog signalling pathway". And we all now how much people believe in the what the US says here,, so it must be true.

Hopefully this helps some OP, unless you've already seen it. I knew nothing of it!
Although im not sure it sounds like a receptor but more like some kind of mechanism that they have chosen to give a very odd name to. Also something expressed in tissues I guess?
It's hilarious reading some of these abstracts tho when they refer to it. lol

Like this one - https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7891723/

Dunno if this is referring to humans or animals tho. Says mouse and chicken embryo's in the second link.
Idk but it says that meprobamate a metabolite of Soma binds to it, and when I had to walk somewhere the other day when I was on it it felt like was just dodging threw the space to where I had to walk, and like it took no effort. Like a stimulating downer effect that felt like it could of been from something called that lol

On the swiss target predictor website

Idk but it says that meprobamate a metabolite of Soma binds to it, and when I had to walk somewhere the other day when I was on it it felt like was just dodging threw the space to where I had to walk, and like it took no effort. Like a stimulating downer effect that felt like it could of been from something called that lol
I think I know what effect you're talking about. I some times get it from things like gabapentin, low dose benzos, or things like phenibut.
It's almost like you're awake and have energy, but you're mind & body are just so calm that it glides right through everything. lol And you also feel like you could go to bed if you really had to. lol
Very interesting feeling. I get it from opioids too but it's much cleaner, intense and more euphoric. So they're different experiences.

I don't get it often, especially if my tolerance to said drugs are high. And if we're referring to the same subjective feeling, it's possible it could be involved in muscle relaxation some how, which benzos would share with Soma. But gabapentin & phenibut I'm not sure have any muscle relaxing effects.

I've unfortunately never had the pleasure to try Soma myself though.

It very well could be a receptor of some sort. Sounds like it plays some role in the nervous system too.
I tried reading more about it but it began to get way out of my knowledge range limit. haha But very interesting.

I think I know what effect you're talking about. I some times get it from things like gabapentin, low dose benzos, or things like phenibut.
It's almost like you're awake and have energy, but you're mind & body are just so calm that it glides right through everything. lol And you also feel like you could go to bed if you really had to. lol
Very interesting feeling. I get it from opioids too but it's much cleaner, intense and more euphoric. So they're different experiences.

I don't get it often, especially if my tolerance to said drugs are high. And if we're referring to the same subjective feeling, it's possible it could be involved in muscle relaxation some how, which benzos would share with Soma. But gabapentin & phenibut I'm not sure have any muscle relaxing effects.

I've unfortunately never had the pleasure to try Soma myself though.

It very well could be a receptor of some sort. Sounds like it plays some role in the nervous system too.
I tried reading more about it but it began to get way out of my knowledge range limit. haha But very interesting.
Yea I think we're talking about the same feeling, and yea I was on Xanax and gabapentin too atleast when it comes to GABA like drugs. Lol

from wikipedia:

The hh loss of function mutant phenotype causes the embryos to be covered with denticles, i.e. small pointy projections resembling the spikes of a hedgehog...

...The gene was named by Robert Riddle, a postdoctoral fellow at the Tabin Lab, after his wife Betsy Wilder came home with a magazine containing an advert for the game Sonic the Hedgehog.

a professor i had told me that it used to be customary to give identified genes silly names. not sure why it fell out of practice.

my personal favorite is Mothers against decapentaplegic

Drosophila scientists named both of these! They are the trombone players of the biology world.

To be fair both hERG and hedgehog (the OG gene named such) have names that describe phenotypes that occur when the gene is knocked out.

Hedgehog is named as such as the embryos look all spikey lacking that gene.

Herg is named as such because flies lacking that gene kick their legs when anesthetized by ether.

Now i hope nobody here discovers the hippo pathway.