• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Somniferine alkaloid (questions) from unique plant with cocaine and nightshade family

Nagelfar

Bluelight Crew
I've read somniferine is an exclusive alkaloid to the Ashwagandha plant (poison gooseberry, winter cherry: taxonomic name = Withania somnifera) in the Solanaceae family, along with ashwagandhine & ashwaganidhine. Anyone have any structure information on those (three bolded) alkaloid drug-chemical structures in question and any information on activity? It also contains various steroidal lactones; withanolides (specifically withaferin A); tropine & cuscohygrine that are active. But I am interested in the ones unprecedented to any other known plant (yet to be isolated, found, extracted or identified anywhere else)

Somniferine

imgsrv.fcgi

It is not actually a tropanes (coca or nightshade related alkaloid.. but Opium Papaverum Somniferum alkaloid aka opiates.. Structurally a dimethyl morphine (aka Codeine) substituted with Oxymorphone (Oxymorphone is 3-desmethyl Oxycodone) so technically a Codeinyl-Oxymorphone. Very interesting since those are purely synthetic (I mean the 6-keto morphinans ). I wonder if it can be easily transformed into Oxycodone by couple of synthetic steps (would make cheap source of oxy). Not talking synthesis just the thought!!
(the other 2 structures have not been published afaik but should be related to Somniferine since they both coming from same alkaloids.. Asawagandine is probably 3 methyl Somniferine ie Dimethyl morphine substituted Oxycodone instead of Oxymorphone (Codeinyl-Oxycodone).. but who knows??

imgsrv.fcgi

EDIT: I mean converting it into codeine and oxycodone or codeine and oxymorphone

Last edited:
Just gonna mention that Withania somnifera effects arent in any way similar to opioids. Its really good for inducing sleep tho. Ive been using it regularly for years