somethings up with collarbone?

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
So I started lifting pretty hard in december. I have been moving along really well and begining to lift some heavier weights. So as part of my routine I do a heavy weight low rep day. generally doing three sets of four-six reps. I was doing this particular day for a chest and tri day. I went through the workout and felt strong all the way through with no indication I had injured myself at all. So I felt good during and after the workout. I went to bed and woke up in the morning with the end of my left collarbone, right where it meets the shoulder, having some decent pain. That was three days ago and it still hurts. Im just wondering if anybody knows what happened and I guess why there was no indication I had injured it until the next day?

in case its relevant I did level bench, incline, decline, close grip level, wide grip level, level flies, decline flies, double rope tri pulldowns, individual cable tri push downs, and some barbell work on tries.

So if any has a guess at what i did I would apreciate any advice as well. Im not lifting anything but legs at this point to rest it.. sucks though as I have been plugging allong nicely and making allot of progress.

So I started lifting pretty hard in december. I have been moving along really well and begining to lift some heavier weights. So as part of my routine I do a heavy weight low rep day. generally doing three sets of four-six reps. I was doing this particular day for a chest and tri day. I went through the workout and felt strong all the way through with no indication I had injured myself at all. So I felt good during and after the workout. I went to bed and woke up in the morning with the end of my left collarbone, right where it meets the shoulder, having some decent pain. That was three days ago and it still hurts. Im just wondering if anybody knows what happened and I guess why there was no indication I had injured it until the next day?

in case its relevant I did level bench, incline, decline, close grip level, wide grip level, level flies, decline flies, double rope tri pulldowns, individual cable tri push downs, and some barbell work on tries.

So if any has a guess at what i did I would apreciate any advice as well. Im not lifting anything but legs at this point to rest it.. sucks though as I have been plugging allong nicely and making allot of progress.

As you will appreciate not having you here and being able to prod and poke its difficult giving a diagnosis.... Personally I'd go and see a decent sports physio..!! My training partner back in the UK was an excellent physio, having him there the moment an issue arose and being able to give an accurate diagnosis and therapy regime was invaluable...

Thanks GF:).. my father is a er doc and i talked with him about this... was jut sorta seeing if this was something lifters had happen.. whats wierd is that it hurts when i lift things like a tool box but has no negative when i do anything like what I was working out.. and its getting better so Im kinda starting to look at this as a separation right there even though there was no initial pain. so in other words the medical community as well as me haven't a clue.

Thanks GF:).. my father is a er doc and i talked with him about this... was jut sorta seeing if this was something lifters had happen.. whats wierd is that it hurts when i lift things like a tool box but has no negative when i do anything like what I was working out.. and its getting better so Im kinda starting to look at this as a separation right there even though there was no initial pain. so in other words the medical community as well as me haven't a clue.

Thats why I suggested a decent sports physio, someone working with sports injuries all day should be better versed than a family doctor...

I decided to give it a little over a week of rest. Seems to have did the trick so it was likely an inflamed ac joint or some sorta strained muscle. really happy at that as i was able to lift chest at full weight today. Still a little leary about lifting shoulders and back but Im just going to take it slow tomorow and see how it goes. I read up on a few possibilities in Sports Health the complete book of athletic injuries and I hope it doesnt end up being soem of these.. but a pretty great book for checking things like this out without shelling out allot of money. Its a little old but somehow I dont think sports injuries have changed that much. I will go see a professional if it returns.

Definitely take your time warming up and ensuring your stabilizing muscles are good to go. If something feels "off" Then take that as a sign to lay off it for a bit.