• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Something fellow addicts can relate to

Indefined

Greenlighter
So first of all, with this being my first post I'd like to say that I have been coming to blue light for a few years now and think this community is amazing. I've learned so much here and have seen how helpful people are on this site. I am extremely appreciative of what I've learned here.

So what I would like to do now is talk about my recently kicked heroin habit and what helped me get through it. I was IVing about .7 grams a day and had my last shot about a week ago. This is the third time getting off an opiate, first time was heroin, second was suboxone after heroin and this time just heroin cold turkey. This time I was taking the most before getting off but it was a less painful experience because of a couple things. Everyone has their own remedies for withdrawal and I've read a ton of them on here. But here is what helped me get through it:

-showers (I think this goes for everyone)
-chlonodine. The first 2 times getting off I didn't want to take anything after stopping the dope because I didn't want to get hooked on anything else but what I didn't understand was HOW IMPORTANT SLEEP IS FOR GETTING OVER WITHDRAWAL. That is when those neurotransmitters that are low get to replenish. Chlonodine lowered my blood pressure and allowed my legs to stop moving and let me sleep
-Xanax. Again, I didn't want to have to but for the sleep, I took 1.5mg the first 3 days so I COULD SLEEP. Waking up the third day I honestly felt normal for a couple hours and then later in the day the withdrawal symptoms came back.
-exercise. We all know how exercise makes you pump out the endorphins and norepinephrine. It's hard when you're going through withdrawal but hey it speeds up the process and kills some energy to help you sleep.
-mother fucking music. And singing with it. I locked myself into a room and played a strange mix of tool, death grips and muse and just got into the music and it made me feel SO much better.
-other forms of art. I painted a picture with the dark energy I had during withdrawal and I also wrote a song and these things helped tremendously.

Now I am on day 7 and have very minor symptoms (chills, slight fatigue and minor muscle soreness)

I thank blue light for making me aware of chlonodine and other general withdrawal remedies. You guys are fucking awesome. I hope this thread could help some people in the future.

When I get home I am going to post a dark but at least very relatable poem I wrote on day 3 of withdrawal.

Hi, welcome to Bluelight! I was not into this site when I was going through my worst. All these are great tools to help with the symptoms. Cool video, you even have your hair done. :) Sure beats being miserable and curled up in bed. Keep up the good work!

All really good points. I totally agree with what you said about listening to music - it's a pretty amazing way to lift your spirits and energy levels.
Really happy to hear you've found such a positive use for the information on the site, it's really encouraging to know.
Keep going strong, you've done really well to be clean for a week.
And yeah - welcome to bluelight :)

All really good points. I totally agree with what you said about listening to music - it's a pretty amazing way to lift your spirits and energy levels.
Really happy to hear you've found such a positive use for the information on the site, it's really encouraging to know.
Keep going strong, you've done really well to be clean for a week.
And yeah - welcome to bluelight :)

yea music is huge. i dont think enough people understand how helpful it can be. that or not as many people benefit from it. thanks for the welcome spacejunk and calderone!

Absolutely. Clonidine is amazing for rls which fucking kills me every time. It's like, withdrawal is bad enough, fuck you legs. Sometimes I wished I was a paraplegic but then I would probably have phantom leg RLS. FFS.

After the acute withdrawal phase, exercise is an absolute must as well as utilizing protein supplements with a good amino acid profile. Amino acids are the building blocks of endogenous neurotransmitter production and intaking extra protein while utilizing cardio exercise will help coax your receptors to start functioning normally, sooner. At least this is what I have experienced subjectively, it makes sense to me and has made the transition so much easier. It's so easy to get apathetic and feel sorry for yourself and just remain stationary and miserable which is the bane of all opioid users. It turns people into fucking babies! Lol. Speaking from personal experience here.

This time around I decided to utilize Suboxone and do a lot of intensive work around recovery before I come off. It's due to the depression and self pity and needing to work on coping skills for mental health issues that kept me from being successful the other times. I am very hopeful for the future this time around and I think I will get it right. If you have made the decision to quit for good and understand everything that has allowed you to fail in the past then you will be successful as well. I hope we both make it, sober and able to find fulfillment and enjoyment in life.

Absolutely. Clonidine is amazing for rls which fucking kills me every time. It's like, withdrawal is bad enough, fuck you legs. Sometimes I wished I was a paraplegic but then I would probably have phantom leg RLS. FFS.

After the acute withdrawal phase, exercise is an absolute must as well as utilizing protein supplements with a good amino acid profile. Amino acids are the building blocks of endogenous neurotransmitter production and intaking extra protein while utilizing cardio exercise will help coax your receptors to start functioning normally, sooner. At least this is what I have experienced subjectively, it makes sense to me and has made the transition so much easier. It's so easy to get apathetic and feel sorry for yourself and just remain stationary and miserable which is the bane of all opioid users. It turns people into fucking babies! Lol. Speaking from personal experience here.

This time around I decided to utilize Suboxone and do a lot of intensive work around recovery before I come off. It's due to the depression and self pity and needing to work on coping skills for mental health issues that kept me from being successful the other times. I am very hopeful for the future this time around and I think I will get it right. If you have made the decision to quit for good and understand everything that has allowed you to fail in the past then you will be successful as well. I hope we both make it, sober and able to find fulfillment and enjoyment in life.

Yea i used the chlonidine by itself the 4th and 5th day if im not mistaken just for RLS so i could sleep. And you're completely right about needing protein. For ME personally its so hard to eat anything. So if i can eat something im going to even if its not something healthy like i would typically eat just because its better than literally nothing. And the working out makes you hungry afterwards so thats another plus. And you're also so right about just needing to do things. Laying around feeling and thinking about the pain just makes it worse. doing anything keeps your mind off of it and even though it may be hard...thats sorta what you need to get your body to say hey start making endorphins ASAP.

and good work getting ogg and staying off since thats your goal. personally i believe ill continue using opiates and other drugs in the future, but not as frequently as i have so i dont end up getting physically dependant and then waiting until i can get some time off work to get off and go through withdrawal...for the last year and a half ive been using all sorts of drugs recreationaly and didnt had any problems until one week when i foolishly used oxy all day for a few days straight and then woke up sick which turned into banging h 3 times a day. as with everything...moderation is key. i know this sounds dangerous but to me...its all about self control and using what youve learned to prevent problems.

edit: also what is your reason for using subs as opposed to going cold turkey? to me subs only made the process take longer and withdrawal lasted longer even though it wasnt as bad. to me i'd rather just go through more pain and have it last a shorter amount of time. i know everyone takes things differently so what is your reason? i think drugs like sub have a long way to go if theyre going to be as functional as we would like them to be. there are a lot of good things about subs but a lot more bad things imo

Hi, hope you are still doing well! This forum has also helped me immensely, so I've finally decided to "give back" and begin posting myself! I must say I am liking it so far!
I too am recently clean from Heroin. I have 5 days today.

Hooray for us!!! Weee cannn doooo itttttt!

I was able to quit with the aid of suboxone.. but am now down to my last 8mg strip! I plan to strategically cut it up to take for the next week or so max, fingers crossed that all goes well. If anyone has advice on a good lil taper plan, that'd also be gr8!!! <3

- I locked myself into a room and played a strange mix of tool, death grips and muse and just got into the music and it made me feel SO much better.
-other forms of art. I painted a picture with the dark energy I had during withdrawal and I also wrote a song and these things helped tremendously.

Oh man, that's gotta be some art collection with that music going. Viewer discretion is advised...