• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Someone died at a festival I'm at.

A google link doesn't prove that it's the "leading cause of MDMA related death", which is an extremely specific thing to say that I'm not so sure is true. It's obvious a problem people have perished from before, but I would say there are probably a few other ways people have died from more often than drinking too much water
Start clicking some links bro I use a mobile phone to post here.. getting multiple links is a pain in the ass lol. According to the erowid link Hyponatremia is frequently caused by clubgoers who get dehydrated and consume many bottles at once. Combine that with ADH it causes Hyponatremia. I've seen friends almost die drinking many bottles at once

When I go to outdoor festivals I alway bring packets of gatorade or electrolyte tabs to throw in my camel pack every other refill.
Security lightened up a little after the first day but the cops still made you open your waters to smell if there was booze. I get trying to make money for vendors bu freet water is an absolute essential. I spent nearly 70 dollars on water bottles for my group and I.
This event was so poorly planned, it is no wonder the government denied them a liquor license. I would be extremely surprised if boonstock happens again.

Outdoor festivals can be a lot of fun but you have to plan ahead.

On a lighter note, I, again, learned that a handful of mushrooms after drinking on the lake all afternoon is not the wisest decision to make.

Wait, wait, hang on. You took X amount of drugs, and it's suddenly someone else's responsibility to make sure to take care of your health? Since when did popping a pill free you of all personal responsibility? Secondly, I can't remember a time I've attended a festival, camping trip, road trip or ANY time I leave my home to attend an event, drugs or no drugs, and I didn't bring more than enough food and water for myself and usually others too....it just seems like common, natural sense, no? I've also personally attended plenty of events with a pocket full of drugs that I've been planning for months, and then end up not even touching them because my responsible self knew that it was not ideal, safe, or a good idea at that time for whatever reasons...again, just seems like common sense. I'm very confused by this thread.

Sure, the venue should provide water, but there's a whole lot of other things that should and shouldn't be, but are. Why don't we just complain that the venue didn't come around to our camp sites and test our pills for us? Maybe give all the males handjobs before the show as well, as to reduce the chances of sexual assaults? Should they tiesyour shoes and spoon feed you baby food too? I mean seriously, what the fuck is this? You are taking DRUGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you lost 100% of your natural, animal-instinctive to survive and stay alive? What other animal in nature acts recklessly and expects other nearby animals to just deal with them and keep them safe?

I won't go as far as saying people deserve these kind of severe consequences, but for fuck sake people need to realize that CONSEQUENCES EXIST. My heart goes out to their poor families, their mothers and fathers that most likely did their absolute best trying to raise a good human being. My heart breaks for those folks, who have undoubtedly pulled the shortest straw in this equation. As for the users who OD'ed, I'm sorry this happened to you, but there is really no one else to blame. You knew exactly what you were doing, no one came up behind you and injected drugs into the back of your neck unknowingly.

con·se·quence [kon-si-kwens, -kwuhns] Show IPA
noun
the effect, result, or outcome of something occurring earlier: The accident was the consequence of reckless driving.
an act or instance of following something as an effect, result, or outcome.
the conclusion reached by a line of reasoning; inference.
importance or significance: a matter of no consequence.
importance in rank or position; distinction: a man of great consequence in art.

Now here's the part where I get called "heartless", which couldn't be further from the truth. You don't know me or anything about me, just remember that as you cock your flamethrowers.

^ I agree. At the end of the day, you are responsible for your life. Drugs can provide a good time but you must be responsible if you want to do them safely. My main complaint re the organizers was that they advertised that there would be free water stations both inside and outside of the venue yet there was only one water tank that was located outside the gates.

I am very happy my group had plenty of water and that I had cash to reload on water when our initial supply ran out. The fact that they made people dump their camel packs at the gate and provided no opportunity to refill them for free once inside is reckless. On top of that they would not let you take your car into town to buy more water.

Did poor planning and orginization by the festival cause the death? No.
Was the lack of free accessible water a contributing factor to the large number of ambulance calls and the fatality? It is quite possible.

As a community that emphasizes HR, I believe we have a duty to call out dangerous situations and practices - both by the individuals and the people making money off the scene.

At the very least it's false advertising I think, they advertised free drinking water. And in my opinion even worse than that. Dawglaw mentioned it to be a desert festival in the summer, so I assume with high temperatures. If you then don't provide free water when advertised and make people pay high prices for drinking water, you are in my opinion neglectful. Not everyone that is there will have enough money to buy enough drinking water to last the festival, regardless of drug use. Some will have counted on this free water, again regardless of drug use. I'm not pointing blame solely or even mostly at the festival though, a drug user should be aware of consequences like Seattle_Stranger and Dawglaw said

I want to point out that over here, if temperatures reach high levels at a festival (+30 degrees C or 30 degrees F) the festival is obliged to allow water bottles to be carried inside, even on the festival grounds. Furthermore if the high temperatures keep on, civil protection (don't know how it's called in other countries, a government agency that handles domestic humanitarian issues) starts to hand out water baggies. Laws are being passed that force outdoor events to provide drinking water on tap in case of high temperatures, which is easily done by adding a filter to the taps where you wash your hands. I find myself to look at this issue as more of a right to water, a basic human right. Free drinking water at festivals should be mandatory I think. If needed, add a little to the entry fee to cover the cost. It would save lives, doesn't matter if they are drug users or not, a life is a life

Wait, wait, hang on. You took X amount of drugs, and it's suddenly someone else's responsibility to make sure to take care of your health? Since when did popping a pill free you of all personal responsibility? Secondly, I can't remember a time I've attended a festival, camping trip, road trip or ANY time I leave my home to attend an event, drugs or no drugs, and I didn't bring more than enough food and water for myself and usually others too....it just seems like common, natural sense, no? I've also personally attended plenty of events with a pocket full of drugs that I've been planning for months, and then end up not even touching them because my responsible self knew that it was not ideal, safe, or a good idea at that time for whatever reasons...again, just seems like common sense. I'm very confused by this thread.

Sure, the venue should provide water, but there's a whole lot of other things that should and shouldn't be, but are. Why don't we just complain that the venue didn't come around to our camp sites and test our pills for us? Maybe give all the males handjobs before the show as well, as to reduce the chances of sexual assaults? Should they tiesyour shoes and spoon feed you baby food too? I mean seriously, what the fuck is this? You are taking DRUGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you lost 100% of your natural, animal-instinctive to survive and stay alive? What other animal in nature acts recklessly and expects other nearby animals to just deal with them and keep them safe?

I won't go as far as saying people deserve these kind of severe consequences, but for fuck sake people need to realize that CONSEQUENCES EXIST. My heart goes out to their poor families, their mothers and fathers that most likely did their absolute best trying to raise a good human being. My heart breaks for those folks, who have undoubtedly pulled the shortest straw in this equation. As for the users who OD'ed, I'm sorry this happened to you, but there is really no one else to blame. You knew exactly what you were doing, no one came up behind you and injected drugs into the back of your neck unknowingly.

con·se·quence [kon-si-kwens, -kwuhns] Show IPA
noun
the effect, result, or outcome of something occurring earlier: The accident was the consequence of reckless driving.
an act or instance of following something as an effect, result, or outcome.
the conclusion reached by a line of reasoning; inference.
importance or significance: a matter of no consequence.
importance in rank or position; distinction: a man of great consequence in art.

Now here's the part where I get called "heartless", which couldn't be further from the truth. You don't know me or anything about me, just remember that as you cock your flamethrowers.

This is very true and I couldn't agree more.

but there are A LOT of really young festivalers out there that just don't think that way at all. They just don't even think that taking drugs is dangerous, will eat handfuls of unweighed and unknown powders without thinking about it. Then it twice as much more when they don't feel anything after thirty minutes.

A lot of kids are just stupid, and just don't realize how dangerous it all is. It takes learning the hard way for most of us before we become more cautious with age. When I think back ten years at how stupid I acted and how close to death I came, hindsight is 50/50.

If drug education and harm reduction was actually a legit subject to teach in school rather than "just say no"...perhaps young kids would have a very different approach.

websites like this are a good way to change the culture and educate people, but there are a lot of people that are not reached. I wish there was more "outreach" (for lackof a better word) to the naive.