• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Some questions about Tramadol and vicodin

Trash.flv

Greenlighter
Hi, I have just started recently taking pain killers recreationally and I have a couple questions. The pills I have are expired by 8 years. I'm not exactly sure how they were stored but, they were still in their original prescription bottles. What is the likelyhood that the pills have be downgraded in potency and by how much? In general How fast does it take to build up a tolerance to opioids? I started off with 100mg of tramadol and then quickly moved up to +200mg. I don't get even a buzz off 100mg anymore. I took 30mg of vicodin last night and felt absolutely nothing. How Much would be a safe amount to take next time? The APAP 325mg. An Hour after taking the vicodin I took 100mg of Tramadol and still felt nothing. Does Anyone know if the negate eachother? Is it common to wired on tramadol? I know it's a sedative but, I haven't been able to sleep much ever since i've been taking it. Are There any long term psychological or neurological effects of taking opioids? Lastly, how often could I take opioids without getting addicted or is addiction inevitable? I've been doing it every other day. Is this safe? Would it be safe to every once in awhile take it a couple days in a row and how many days could I take it in a row.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
Physical addiction to opioids is enivitable. Usually it takes a few weeks or physical dependency to develop given your history with opiates. For someone like me, who has a history of opiate and heroin addiction, I feel dependency after doing it more than one time even if I have years clean
When I first started ever doing opiates, it literally took 7 months to get dependent. Everyone is different. But yes it's inevitable

Tramadol isn't a sedative. It's a stimulant. Insomnia is a very common side effect. Tramadol make many people feel speedy/anxious/etc.

Also, how long where you taking Tramadol before taking 30mg of Vicodin??

There is no conversion for tramadol to Vicodin in "equal" since Vicodin is WAY more potent then tramadol, not even calcuable. One online opioid conversion chart said 50mg to 100mg of tramadol = 5mg of Vicodin. I believe they removed tramadol from their conversions as it's too weak to compare to any other. But even that seems wrong. As again Vicodin is so much stronger it cannot be compared to Tramadol really.

So surprising 30mg would do nothing for a person who is new to opioids. But if you take tramadol, it builds up a tolerance as it occupies the same receptors basically, it just doesn't cause a massive release like Vicodin/oxycodne cause.
So if someone takes Tramadol for a while, then stronger ones like Vicodin/oxycodone, you will have built a tolerance to. Even though Tramadol does very little, it still builds a tolerance just like the stronger opioids.
Same goes for reverse, if someone took Vicodin or Oxycodone for years, and went down to only tramadol their tolerance would remain the same as "tramadol occupies basically the same receptors, just doesn't cause the release like the others do". I put it in quotes as it was the best way to say it.

Tramadol is a weak opioid and a SNRI, so yes feeling wired isn't unnormal. And don't get over 300mg of tramadol as it lowers the seizure threshold

OD -> BDD

I'm not sure I want to believe tramadol is a stimulant, sure it has stimulant qualities due to its slight SNRI properties, but it definitely is not a CNS Stimulant. Hmm...makes me wonder what the FDA has it classified as? Depressant because it's known as an opioid? Antidepressant because it has SNRI properties? Tricky one I suppose

I'm not sure I want to believe tramadol is a stimulant, sure it has stimulant qualities due to its slight SNRI properties, but it definitely is not a CNS Stimulant. Hmm...makes me wonder what the FDA has it classified as? Depressant because it's known as an opioid? Antidepressant because it has SNRI properties? Tricky one I suppose

I'm pretty sure it's classified as an opioid. Definitely a very unique and interesting drug. I have doubt in it being a stimulant as well. It does keep me up for most of the night but, I don't feel overflushed with energy. Very calming but doesn't make me sleepy.

I agree probably an opioid. For example,oxycodone and buprenorphine have me wired and speedy as fuck, but at the end of the day they are opioids

Tramadol was prescribed to me as an opioid and for back pain. And for a lot of people the withdrawal from Tramadol is hellish.
I know you didn't ask but i'd stay away from Tram. Vics...whatever. With tram you get to withdraw physically AND psychologically because its SNRI properties.
As far as stimulation goes, it varies for people. I ended up abusing it because it gave me huge energy boosts.

Tramadol was prescribed to me as an opioid and for back pain. And for a lot of people the withdrawal from Tramadol is hellish.
I know you didn't ask but i'd stay away from Tram. Vics...whatever. With tram you get to withdraw physically AND psychologically because its SNRI properties.
As far as stimulation goes, it varies for people. I ended up abusing it because it gave me huge energy boosts.

I also wanna add that after quitting a 2 year habit with opiates and then coming back to test my tolerance, a single 10mg percocet had me almost nodding out. Where as before, i would be hyped up for at least an hr.

Tramadol isn't a sedative. It's a stimulant. Insomnia is a very common side effect. Tramadol make many people feel speedy/anxious/etc.

Also, how long where you taking Tramadol before taking 30mg of Vicodin??

There is no conversion for tramadol to Vicodin in "equal" since Vicodin is WAY more potent then tramadol, not even calcuable. One online opioid conversion chart said 50mg to 100mg of tramadol = 5mg of Vicodin. I believe they removed tramadol from their conversions as it's too weak to compare to any other. But even that seems wrong. As again Vicodin is so much stronger it cannot be compared to Tramadol really.

So surprising 30mg would do nothing for a person who is new to opioids. But if you take tramadol, it builds up a tolerance as it occupies the same receptors basically, it just doesn't cause a massive release like Vicodin/oxycodne cause.
So if someone takes Tramadol for a while, then stronger ones like Vicodin/oxycodone, you will have built a tolerance to. Even though Tramadol does very little, it still builds a tolerance just like the stronger opioids.
Same goes for reverse, if someone took Vicodin or Oxycodone for years, and went down to only tramadol their tolerance would remain the same as "tramadol occupies basically the same receptors, just doesn't cause the release like the others do". I put it in quotes as it was the best way to say it.

Meh... Tramadol isn't a stimulant. It's an Opioid, which makes it by default, a depressant. The SNRI activity of Tramadol can give it a different character than a lot of other commonly used Opioids, but this definitely doesn't make it a stimulant. Opioids can be psychologically stimulating in their own right though, if nothing else, just due to the motivation and ambition that they can give you.

As far as the medication degrading, it's really going to depend on how it was stored over the course of the 8 years. Light, moisture and temperature can all play a role in how quickly the medication will degrade, but I would be surprised if 8 years is enough time for the medication to completely degrade to a level of uselessness. I base this almost solely off the fact that I've taken 6 year old Oxycodone and didn't really no any diminished effect.

I think the fact that you like Opiates enough to begin to start planning your life around using them as frequently as possible without acquiring an addiction is a bad sign. My point is, the fact that you're asking the question of yourself is an indication that you're susceptible to addiction. Most of us have probably experienced the "planning" phase of addiction at one point or another. Planning as in, planning how you can always use the drug, but without consequences like "all those other people".

Meh... Tramadol isn't a stimulant. It's an Opioid, which makes it by default, a depressant. The SNRI activity of Tramadol can give it a different character than a lot of other commonly used Opioids, but this definitely doesn't make it a stimulant. Opioids can be psychologically stimulating in their own right though, if nothing else, just due to the motivation and ambition that they can give you.

As far as the medication degrading, it's really going to depend on how it was stored over the course of the 8 years. Light, moisture and temperature can all play a role in how quickly the medication will degrade, but I would be surprised if 8 years is enough time for the medication to completely degrade to a level of uselessness. I base this almost solely off the fact that I've taken 6 year old Oxycodone and didn't really no any diminished effect.

I think the fact that you like Opiates enough to begin to start planning your life around using them as frequently as possible without acquiring an addiction is a bad sign. My point is, the fact that you're asking the question of yourself is an indication that you're susceptible to addiction. Most of us have probably experienced the "planning" phase of addiction at one point or another. Planning as in, planning how you can always use the drug, but without consequences like "all those other people".

I couldn't agree more. As soon as I start "planning" with my drug use...I take a break. A couple days or a week...but none the less a break.
I had a 2 year addiction with opiates and swore them off as far as long term goes...after dealing with withdrawals.
Now I have moved on to meth, not a step up I know. However it's much easier for me to take those necessary breaks.

You're right, Tramadol isn't technically a Stimulant but I personally consider it one (or stimulating is a better word) as it gives me anxious energy. It also is know to cause insomnia and make people feel speedy, one of the most common google search terms for Tramadol. But yeah, it is a WEIRD drug. I believe it's similar to Effexor, which is know to be more stimulating of the antidepressants.

Some it relaxes. Some it makes them feel like they popped an Adderall. Some feel nothing. I suppose it all depends on the conversion over via CYPD26 over to O-Tramadol (for short) which is way more potent. Some people just don't have proper function at CYPD26 and those are normally the ones who don't feel anything from Tramadol.

Hi my first time here!
I’m one of those people that have legitimate pain! But decided to take myself off to see what would happen!
My Pharmacist said don’t! I guess he knew what was coming with the government taking over!
Long story short , I’ve been in a lot of pain. Found some Vicodin that has expired!
That wasn’t what I was taking. Methadone, Norco, Oxy! My Doctor gave me all that, now after a year a half I need something! And I’m getting the door shut in my face at every turn! My Doctor moved so he’s out of the question!
I can’t believe they gave me all that now I can’t get a damn Norco!
Back to Expired Vicodin?
What is this water thing I read on here so I don’t get the Tylenol with it!
I won’t use a needle. I was addicted from the age 13. Clean for 20 years!
I can babble! Thanks for the help!

Why did you bump this thread? Anyway, check out the thread on cold water extraction to learn how to separate the nasty Tylenol out of your Vicodin. Maybe drop the exclamation points too.