View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Some people just shouldn't take psychedelics

One Thousand Words

Bluelighter
It seems to me that this forum gets it fair share of people reporting bad trips and long recoveries from drug experimentation. Obviously different people react differently to certain drugs, but it still amazes me that so many of you continue to trip when it obviously doesn't agree with you.

The simple rule of set and setting is pretty easy to understand. Tripping is so much easier under the right conditions, especially if dose is carefully considered. If you choose to trip in a large chaotic public space such as a concert or shopping centre, expect to face a more challenging experience that a quiet backyard or camp site. The same if you live at home and try and hide in your bedroom. Heroic doses do not do the public image of these drugs any favours.

Mind set is just as important. Going into any trip without first grounding yourself is akin to running a marathon with a hamstring twinge. Being sad or trying to work through emotional problems with the use of psychedelics is a risky proposition for anyone, particularly those of you with little experience. Don't drop three tabs after a fight with your girlfriend and not expect to face the consequences.

The same goes for those of you who suffer mental illness or depression. If you require antidepressants in you every day life then I suggest you find another class of drug to experiment with. I know this might ruffle some of you the wrong way, but if you need to be medicated to stabilise your emotions, you shouldn't be surprised that recovering from a trip can be tricky. I am aware that this is a broad statement, and that some of you with severe conditions such as bipolar do successfully take psychedelics, but I really believe that as a good rule you should reconsider.

It seems that too many of you report bad trips and like to blame bad quality drugs before considering some of the golden principals of drug use. Some drugs are really predictable, you know what to expect each time. Others require a level of experience and respect that unfortunately many of you choose to ignore.

I agree, good post. And I dont think you should take psychedelics too often. They're very powerful experiences and I dont see myself taking them even every month. One or two trip a year seems reasonable. I know many people trip more often without problems but this really keeps the magic in it.

When it comes to mental health stuff I think that people should either decide if they want to use medication or recreational drugs, not both. Just because you are on medication for depression or anxiety whatever doesn't mean you can't ever take psychs again. Plenty of people deal with anxiety and depression at some point in their lives. I tend to focus more on root causes then buy into the whole 'chemical imbalance that you can never fix' thing. For some tho, you are certainly playing with fire.

...and you can't compare a concert to a shopping center. Tripping at phish>tripping at wal-mart. =D

Quality post though!

otw said:
Going into any trip without first grounding yourself is akin to running a marathon with a hamstring twinge. Being sad or trying to work through emotional problems with the use of psychedelics is a risky proposition for anyone, particularly those of you with little experience. Don't drop three tabs after a fight with your girlfriend and not expect to face the consequences.

I think this is an important point. I know that a lot of people seem to think that a psychedelic trip will fix all their problems. Psychedelics certainly can help someone gain a different perspective, but the real healing experiences are usually traumatic and overwhelming during them and very difficult to truly work with. I tend to think psychedelic shock-therapy is probably not that useful given the risks of causing ongoing trauma. Its a sledgehammer solution.

I am personally able to use psychedelics with some regularity and retain my sense of well-being (such as it is :\). I think low doses are the way to go for recreational and pleasant experiences. That's what I aim for.

If you're depressed it's not necessarily advisable that you not get high on psychedelics...I've been depressed & have experienced really good experiences which actually bled into my sober life (in a good way). At the same time being depressed may pose a potential challenge to you having a good time...it's just difficult to say, really.

I think some problems can arise when one treats experiences with strong hallucinogens as "just another high". Luckily said drugs tend to moderate themselves...people either have a bad experience or "lose the magic" for a while

I think most people should try it at least once tho.
Imean if you're like severely autistic or schizophrenic then no. And definitely don't try it if you're really scared to- at least be 75% sure you want to do it (i think that's enough)
But barring mental disability or fear i think everyone should give it a try.
under safe settings, with a sitter.

I think most people should try it at least once tho.
Imean if you're like severely autistic or schizophrenic then no. And definitely don't try it if you're really scared to- at least be 75% sure you want to do it (i think that's enough)
But barring mental disability or fear i think everyone should give it a try.
under safe settings, with a sitter.

I have a severe psychotic disorder (schizoaffective) and I love tripping, but I've seen people flip the fuck out with similar conditions.

I have a severe psychotic disorder (schizoaffective) and I love tripping, but I've seen people flip the fuck out with similar conditions.

What i meant by severely schizophrenic, is people who are so mentally ill they can't care for themselves. Like severely.
I've met (in psyche wards) schizophrenics who have to live in group homes and have legal guardians (as adults) because they are so ill that they can't fend for themselves, and so psychotic they have to be under 24 hour supervision for their own safety.
But even less severely ill schizophrenics shouldn't be tripping because they should be on their medication, and schizophrenia medication blocks most psychedelics to begin with.

^I'm on schizophrenia medication and they still work. I think being on them long term your brain gets used to them or something.

^^
What meds specifically? I'm intrigued. when i was on them the only Psychedelic that worked was mushrooms, LSD did nothing whatsoever and made my friends trip sack.

made me feel pretty pissed off at my friends haha even tho it wasn't their fault

The people who shouldn't take psychedelics are the ones who don't educate themselves about them first, follow guidelines and take precautions against major potential issues (set and setting, contraindications, specific health conditions, extreme sensitivity to everything (WAH!!) and/or mentally unstable, etc).

Seems like the kids are swamping PD boards with silly help threads just like MED. Some are understandable, but most are calling for the WAHmbulance.

-_-

I want to add that kids shouldn't take psychedelics. I couldn't put an age on it but i'd say something like 21 is about right. that's just a random guess though.

I want to add that kids shouldn't take psychedelics. I couldn't put an age on it but i'd say something like 21 is about right. that's just a random guess though.

I started at 16 and had no problems. Most people i know started at 16.
test your shit, follow proper HR, and make sure you feel ready, there isn't really any set age.

Nice post... I disagree with your statement about people who take anti-depressants. Psychedelic's are one of the best cures from depression I have found over the years.. Yes of course you must know what your taking and plan a nice and relaxed enviroment.. I tripped at the start of this year after being in a hell of a relationship, I was scared because I knew I would have to beat all my inner demons I had created to handle and cope with this relationship.. I don't take anti depressants and I would advise against tripping while on medication for it as it's heavy brain changing medicine your consuming everyday

I think tripping while on medication is a bad idea or even before you've let it leave your system. A friend on a powerful tricyclic with a long half life (only for a nerve pain issue, nothing psychological) had extremely strange and disturbing trips on mushrooms and 2c-b even a week after stopping the medication, however after a two week break the trips were normal. They felt as if they could see somehow through the experience all the fucked up shit the medication was doing in their serotonin system. While this may or may not be true, it certainly made them quit taking that medication and look for an alternative

I love my drugs but cannabis and anything trippy are no gos for me... I know I can't handle them and it would just be mental torture . But ye I can't understand why people keep going back to a certain drug if its not enjoyable and they don't have an addiction to it.

If you take psychedelics out of curiosity or just for fun, and use some good common sense while doing it, then party on.

If you take them for spiritual enlightenment, or inner healing, or other more serious reasons, then use caution and do not be surprised that you get real results.
This is the path of the shaman and the warrior, not an easy road.

Definitely psychedelics aren't for everyone, but the great thing is not everyone needs to take psychedelics to get the message as such or perceive things in similar ways. I do believe they are something everyone should try at least once in their life should they be willing however. It is beneficial to alter your consciousness to gain an alternative perspective on things.

If you're on antidepressants/SSRIs/etc, then you most definitely shouldn't take them like many other chemicals. That is down to research, which unfortunately society doesn't fully encourage yet for drugs (instead just rejects). But if you are curious to try psychedelics then it is definitely worth reviewing why you are on the above drugs, whether they are actually suited or just handed out without real consideration (which happens all too much) to the person and to also consider weaning off them and instead possibly opening up the possibility of trying psilocybin or other psychedelics attributed as being very beneficial for depression and certain mental issues such as anxiety.

Set and setting is key! That's all there is to it apart from some pre background reading. Bad trips are learning experiences also and generally you can also attribute the cause of the bad trip/experiences to mindset and setting. But unfortunately it's something that's very hard to put across to inexperienced users who are going to be ignorant to some degree. It's all about spreading good information, keeping it simple and the above. I find a medium dose at minimum too helps me personally as being caught between sober/tripping state ends up being more confusing than just being in the deep end.

I think anyone who starts using psychedelics regularly, in higher doses, whether partying or not will eventually go down some path of self-review and spirituality.

yeah, it really helps to see what prevents oneselve to be in the good path but to enter the right path is to break open what prevents you to be in the path and thats the scary part
If you take psychedelics out of curiosity or just for fun, and use some good common sense while doing it, then party on.

If you take them for spiritual enlightenment, or inner healing, or other more serious reasons, then use caution and do not be surprised that you get real results.
This is the path of the shaman and the warrior, not an easy road.