• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Soldiers, police inject drugs openly in rural Myanmar; stark sign of nation losing

Things tip the scales of death all the time but that doesn't mean that they are the cause it it can be justified. Also 37 deaths in 30 years.. this just makes me smile as really it may be the least likely thing of anything on this planet to kill you. If you have time pmose please list something, anything that has just caused 37 (claimed and not proven) in 30 years.

It can be claimed that heroin only kills because of lack of narcan.

I'm not sure if you've ever been on a maintenance program slim, and I'm not trying to be argumentative at all, but personally I have experienced opiod maintenance and there is a big difference between me shooting (x) amount of heroin to get better and (x) amount of heroin (which is ridiculously expensive) for me to "nod". Not all addicts nod all day, that is, I'm pretty sure, the definition of a functioning addict.

You are very right, opi8, from what I know, though I have never been on a maintenance program, so I don't really know...
I was just imagining myself shooting up - which i also have never done - while carrying a gun, surrounded by lawlessness and hundreds of people who might hate police/soldiers/ authority.
Thank you for pointing out the important difference between maintenance and nodding.

37 deaths attributed to marijuana over a 30 year span.

Yeah? Sounds pretty wrong. Even if it may be right, that's so low compared to how many people use it worldwide.

^ I think it must be wrong. Maybe the people smoked weed and drove?
Then again, maybe they were allergic to weed, which would explain things somewhat better.
Or maybe they had weak hearts, and the combination was bad.
Still, as you said poledriver, considering the huge number of people who use it, it must have one of the lowest death per user ratios of any drug.

The psychological effects of acute marijuana intoxication contributed to their death.

From the CDC - which will never change these records - also listed 50-80 thousand deaths had been attributed to alcohol (all types of alcohol), to which not a lash was bashed.

Yet bricks are shat when you hear the CDC say, 1-2 deaths had been attributed to marijuana.

But why now, in 2014, do you find out about decades of public record?

The slogan advocates for marijuana legalization (http://norml.org/marijuana) declare 0 deaths are attributed to overdosing marijuana with 50,000 deaths to alcohol poisoning.

Don't you think they realize they are not comparing overdose to overdose or one substance to one substance? They meticulously created this slogan and did not even bother separating ethanol from denatured alcohol or address the deaths marijuana is contributed to. They use "poisoning" to describe every alcohol death, I presume they feel comfortable because alcohol is a poison, and so any death is due to alcohol poisoning. Clever boys! This is supposed to be confused with the actual term, alcohol poisoning.

A fair comparison would be 0 deaths from marijuana and 7 deaths from alcoholic beverages (drinks that contain ethanol) each year.

I suppose then you are forced to stretch that over all the years of alcohol and marijuana.

That is why it doesn't sit right with you.

No, these are not car accidents. That is probably more like 1,300 each year.

"The researchers also found that marijuana was the main drug involved in the increase. It contributed to 12 percent of fatal crashes, compared to only 4 percent in 1999."
Study: Fatal Car Crashes Involving

That 12% involvement is from 2010 and that same year 5.5% of the US population were past month users. Studies have also found marijuana doubles the risk of fatal crash when combined with alcohol, versus alcohol alone. They have also found a similar increase of risk for an accident with marijuana alone.

So no, these are not just people trying to demonize Scooby snacks, they are just trying to prevent errors in judgement.

Last edited:
Isn't having a cheap, pure source of easy to access heroin supposed to make people functioning addicts?

As I understand it the cost goes up until one overdoses or simply can't afford it.

Yeah? Sounds pretty wrong. Even if it may be right, that's so low compared to how many people use it worldwide.

I was under the impression that it was fewer than that, too.

Isn't having a cheap, pure source of easy to access heroin supposed to make people functioning addicts?

I somehow don't think Burma has a lot of recovery centres and safe sites to balance that out. Plus it's such an impoverished country thanks to the junta that I bet a lot of those addicts are just sitting around all day.

pmoseman, I don't know what you are trying to say, but what ever it is we are going way off track, this isn't a thread about alcohol or cannabis related deaths, it's about people who inject drugs in the open in rural Myanmar.

pmoseman, I don't know what you are trying to say, but what ever it is we are going way off track, this isn't a thread about alcohol or cannabis related deaths, it's about people who inject drugs in the open in rural Myanmar.
It's not that difficult to figure out.

By the way the CDC covers the United States, not the whole world.

By the way the CDC covers the United States, not the whole world.

You're a part of the cow? Did you help with back orifice? I have much more respect for you now, but I think they're also not limited to the US and your views are still radical, right wing, religeous bullshit.

The Center for Disease Control (CDC) is a U.S. governmental agency and deaths and mortality data are for the U.S.

Pmose we have a pool going on what you do for a living.. many interesting things have come up... but do you work for this agency.. Im of course kidding about the pole but it may make a good thread somewhere.. what does the pmose do for a living. share if you are so inclined.

I can almost guarantee that your not a switchman for the railroads.. cause once again we have derailed thread.

Honestly, I think pmoseman is that Peter Hitchens guy, for real...

Think about all the people who's relative was the one in the story that has come on here to argue about it...We've ripped into Hitchens numerous times on here, and pmoseman just seems to fit the bill.

She does not have a degree.

Seriously pmoseman, why would you take these meaningless pot-shots at the only reasonable point of view? Weed cannot directly kill you, alcohol kills millions and we rape the lives of countless people with these sadistic, wasteful policies you love so much. I don't understand what motivates you.

http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh27-1/110-120.htm
This study regarding the United States {1996-1998} shows there were hundreds of deaths each year due to accidental alcohol poisoning; those from alcoholic beverages amounted to 7 per year.

I imagine this takes into account only deaths caused exclusively by alcohol poisoning, which doesn't say much since almost all drug poisoning deaths are caused by drug combinations.

Of all the drug poisoning deaths in Scotland in 2011, for example, 97% involved drug combinations, and alcohol was present in 37.1% of these deaths (in both 2009 and 2010, it was present in over half of the deaths).

I imagine this takes into account only deaths caused exclusively by alcohol poisoning, which doesn't say much since almost all drug poisoning deaths are caused by drug combinations.
"However, the number of deaths increases fourfold when calculated by the multiple-cause method."