The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

solamente america central y del sur

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
lo siento por le "Spanglish" mi espanol es no bueno...

Que importancia tiene ..visiting.. para aprender el idioma?

aprenderia mucho mas rapido?

I can retype that in English if that was really bad lol...I'm trying my best! And I don't wanna use shit like "google translate" as I think it would encourage laziness :/ and the grammar is usually appalling (not that mine is great lol)

I can retype that in English if that was really bad lol...I'm trying my best! And I don't wanna use shit like "google translate" as I think it would encourage laziness :/ and the grammar is usually appalling (not that mine is great lol)
Creo que si, es mucho mas mejor de aprender el idioma al dentro del pais.

Fui a Mexico.... hace vente anos... para aprender y hablar en espanol como parte de una programa en mi universidad. Fue una programa de Study Abroad.

Los partes mas dificil estan aprendiendo de conjugar los verbos y tambien las espresiones idiomaticas. El espanol que ensenan en los Estados Unidos es poco diferente que el espanol en Mexico e en Espana tambien. Pero creo que es mejor aprender el idioma de Mexico porque somos vecinos.

Cuando estas hablando Espanol en tus suenos, tu sabes el idioma. Buena suerte!

Creo que si, es mucho mas mejor de aprender el idioma al dentro del pais.

Fui a Mexico.... hace vente anos... para aprender y hablar en espanol como parte de una programa en mi universidad. Fue una programa de Study Abroad.

Los partes mas dificil estan aprendiendo de conjugar los verbos y tambien las espresiones idiomaticas. El espanol que ensenan en los Estados Unidos es poco diferente que el espanol en Mexico e en Espana tambien. Pero creo que es mejor aprender el idioma de Mexico porque somos vecinos.

Cuando estas hablando Espanol en tus suenos, tu sabes el idioma. Buena suerte!

lo siento por responder en inglés pero son las 5 de la mañana y estoy cansado y perezoso jaja

You make some great points! I'm trying to go back to Uni when my health will allow (for Film Studies and Spanish). I've never considered going abroad for it, though. Might be an idea!

Yeah, there's that with the differences between Euro Spanish and Latin American Spanish. When I first started, it was actually by watching "Como Se Dice?" on YouTube which is basically a (an American) drag queen I find hilarious trying to learn Spanish and like teaching us a few words of phrases each episode....I then started trying to learn it more seriously and realized that some of what I knew was "wrong" based on it being Latin American Spanish and not Spanish Spanish.
Mostly just not realizing in Spain the tend to pronounce "s" as "th"

Would there be a real difference or enough to cause a problem if I went to say Mexico verses if I went to Spain?

I live in UK so maybe learning the Spanish Spanish would be better. I really don't know how much difference there is, though.

"Cuando estas hablando Espanol en tus suenos, tu sabes el idioma. Buena suerte!" - thanks! and what a beautiful way to put it!

lo siento por responder en inglés pero son las 5 de la mañana y estoy cansado y perezoso jaja

You make some great points! I'm trying to go back to Uni when my health will allow (for Film Studies and Spanish). I've never considered going abroad for it, though. Might be an idea!

Yeah, there's that with the differences between Euro Spanish and Latin American Spanish. When I first started, it was actually by watching "Como Se Dice?" on YouTube which is basically a (an American) drag queen I find hilarious trying to learn Spanish and like teaching us a few words of phrases each episode....I then started trying to learn it more seriously and realized that some of what I knew was "wrong" based on it being Latin American Spanish and not Spanish Spanish.
Mostly just not realizing in Spain the tend to pronounce "s" as "th"

Would there be a real difference or enough to cause a problem if I went to say Mexico verses if I went to Spain?

I live in UK so maybe learning the Spanish Spanish would be better. I really don't know how much difference there is, though.

"Cuando estas hablando Espanol en tus suenos, tu sabes el idioma. Buena suerte!" - thanks! and what a beautiful way to put it!
If you live in the UK, it would prolly be better to learn Spanish from Spain. Their pronunciations and verb conjugations (for instance, Mexican Spanish does not use the vosotros tense) are different and since you are closer to Spain than Mex, I would think Spain Spanish would be the standard over there.

And yes, study abroad helped me immensely. I already knew most of the conjugations by that time, so most of the practice was in full immersion. We were encouraged not to speak any English even when we were in our hosts' homes after school hours. It took discipline to pull it off, but like I said, once you start dreaming in another language, that's when you know you are there.

If you live in the UK, it would prolly be better to learn Spanish from Spain. Their pronunciations and verb conjugations (for instance, Mexican Spanish does not use the vosotros tense) are different and since you are closer to Spain than Mex, I would think Spain Spanish would be the standard over there.

And yes, study abroad helped me immensely. I already knew most of the conjugations by that time, so most of the practice was in full immersion. We were encouraged not to speak any English even when we were in our hosts' homes after school hours. It took discipline to pull it off, but like I said, once you start dreaming in another language, that's when you know you are there.

Things like verb conjugations are what I most need to learn now probably. I feel like I know enough of the language to converse easily on most topics, but I probably have the equivalent of like a first grade grammar understanding. But I've only been learning for 7 months (entirely online and self-taught, too) so I think that's natural. Like the way young children all talk in their native language when they can speak in full sentences and hold a conversation, but the syntax is super-wonky and the grammar is all over.
Like, I know that masculine tends to end in "o" and feminine in "a" (like lantino/latina) but sometimes don't know if it's the person of the (for lack of a better word) object/item that you go off. Like, I speak some French and while "la" is masculine and "le" is feminine, if you're talking about a "feminine" thing belong to the man, it's "le" and not "la". Does Spanish work the same way?

I didn't have any real problem understanding things when I visited Spain. I actually prefer the lispy accent in Spain, I think it sounds cooler, less "blunt" than Mexican spanish.

But some words sound different in their accent when they are speaking quickly that I couldn't pick up on right away.

me encantan las tapas y siesta!!

Last edited:
I didn't have any real problem understanding things when I visited Spain. I actually prefer the lispy accent in Spain, I think it sounds cooler, less "blunt" than Mexican spanish.

But some words sound different in their accent when they are speaking quickly that I couldn't pick up on right away.

me encantan las tapas y siesta!!

Ah, I know that word! "Siesta" means "lazy cunt", right? ;)

me encanta tapas tambien! I almost never eat actual meals, I tend to eat little bits throughout the day, and when I do eat I'd much rather have a small amount of several different things then large portions of a few. So tapas suit me well

As for the lisping thing...I do agree, BUT, as a (mostly) homosexual male...the LAST thing I want is to sound more lispy :ROFLMAO:

Ofc man,
Actually more than visiting. Living there, still takes quite a while to be better at spanish sosnt different conjugaciones, also the masculino and feminine words AND THERES ALSO FEW WORDS THAT ARE EZCEPTIONS TO CERTAIN RULES lol. Takes a few years to máster spanish unlike english.

Ofc man,
Actually more than visiting. Living there, still takes quite a while to be better at spanish sosnt different conjugaciones, also the masculino and feminine words AND THERES ALSO FEW WORDS THAT ARE EZCEPTIONS TO CERTAIN RULES lol. Takes a few years to máster spanish unlike english.

Spanish is actually easier to learn than English (based on how many hours it takes on average for a person to master the language fluently), people just see English as much easier than it is because non-native English speakers tend to learn it from a very young age.

I do wonder how the recent introduction of the third gendering (or, rather, non-gendered) "latinx" will effect the verbiage since so much is already either masculine or feminine? :/
I'm aware the term was actually brought into parlance by native English speaking Americans....I totally get it (it's intention is for it to be used to non-binary individuals, people who identify as neither male/masculine or female/feminine...or just to refer to persons who's gender the speaker doesn't know), and it's fine as a sort of "they/their" singular type usage, but the problems would be endless if words ending in "a" or "o" to indicate whether it is masculine or feminine would now need a third option 😵
I don't understand why words need to be unnecessarily gendered in the first place TBH

Spanish is actually easier to learn than English (based on how many hours it takes on average for a person to master the language fluently), people just see English as much easier than it is because non-native English speakers tend to learn it from a very young age.

I do wonder how the recent introduction of the third gendering (or, rather, non-gendered) "latinx" will effect the verbiage since so much is already either masculine or feminine? :/
I'm aware the term was actually brought into parlance by native English speaking Americans....I totally get it (it's intention is for it to be used to non-binary individuals, people who identify as neither male/masculine or female/feminine...or just to refer to persons who's gender the speaker doesn't know), and it's fine as a sort of "they/their" singular type usage, but the problems would be endless if words ending in "a" or "o" to indicate whether it is masculine or feminine would now need a third option 😵‍💫
I don't understand why words need to be unnecessarily gendered in the first place TBH
Hahaha get out of here,
Learning spanish(like REALLY ADVANCE level of it) is so much harder than English. What seems impossible to me and wouldn't bother learning ever are arcaic language like arabic, japonese and the one that seems the hardest to moi, mandarín Chinese.

I'm aware the term was actually brought into parlance by native English speaking Americans....I totally get it (it's intention is for it to be used to non-binary individuals, people who identify as neither male/masculine or female/feminine...or just to refer to persons who's gender the speaker doesn't know), and it's fine as a sort of "they/their" singular type usage, but the problems would be endless if words ending in "a" or "o" to indicate whether it is masculine or feminine would now need a third option 😵
Oh btw,
That 3rd gendering......ppl aren't accepting it well for now. Nobody gives a shit tbh, it sounds dumb talking like that. There's been alot of debate about it and mhmm..... at least the next generación idk or even care but I will talk like they taught me when I was a child the old school castellano***.
It sounds too corny, talking with the 3rd gender to me, if you could hear what seniors opinión is about is xddddd ud laugh, they aren't very happy.

Hahaha get out of here,
Learning spanish(like REALLY ADVANCE level of it) is so much harder than English. What seems impossible to me and wouldn't bother learning ever are arcaic language like arabic, japonese and the one that seems the hardest to moi, mandarín Chinese.

Oh, yes. I definitely agree. I'm not saying English is difficult by any means.

Dutch, Spanish, Portuguese, French, English and Italian are generally considered among the easiest to learn and the hardest are Mandarin, Vietnamese, Arabic, Japanese and Navajo. So I totally agree with you there.

Oh btw,
That 3rd gendering......ppl aren't accepting it well for now. Nobody gives a shit tbh, it sounds dumb talking like that. There's been alot of debate about it and mhmm..... at least the next generación idk or even care but I will talk like they taught me when I was a child the old school castellano***.
It sounds too corny, talking with the 3rd gender to me, if you could hear what seniors opinión is about is xddddd ud laugh, they aren't very happy.

Yeah but seniors are the same people who find trans peoples pronouns "too difficult" but refer to their cars and boats as "she/her" :ROFLMAO:
I really don't think the Spanish needs it, the complications would be ridiculous for something that very few people would use. Also, if someone wants to not say they're male or female (which is fine, some people aren't) can't they just call themselves "Latin" rather than Latino or Latina? :/
And I'm sure singular they/their pronouns would work the same in Spanish as in English? I mean, we refer to people as they/their all the time without even thinking about it ["Urgh, who invited them? They're so annoying!"].

Yeah but seniors are the same people who find trans peoples pronouns "too difficult" but refer to their cars and boats as "she/her" :ROFLMAO:
I really don't think the Spanish needs it, the complications would be ridiculous for something that very few people would use. Also, if someone wants to not say they're male or female (which is fine, some people aren't) can't they just call themselves "Latin" rather than Latino or Latina? :/
And I'm sure singular they/their pronouns would work the same in Spanish as in English? I mean, we refer to people as they/their all the time without even thinking about it ["Urgh, who invited them? They're so annoying!"].
Yes...but latinoamericanos are more lgtbphobic than people from english speaking countries so they couldn't be bothered " Learning that stupidity" according to them.

Ah, I know that word! "Siesta" means "lazy cunt", right? ;)
they take siesta pretty seriously in Spain, unlike Mexico

it's some law, or at least the cultural norm, something like from 2-4pm almost all retail shops close for business and restaurants will only serve drinks or tapas but no full service meals

as I remember they have quite the party culture and night life in Spain, everyone stays up and gets drunk until 3am even on work nights, so siesta is basically nap time to nurse hangovers lol