• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Sodium Ascorbate (Vit C) for opiate withdrawal

fritzerman

Greenlighter
You may want to try sodium ascorbate (vitamin C) which unbelievably works great to eliminate withdrawal symptoms. I took it for three days, starting with one heaping teaspoon (about 5 g) after my last dose, continuing every two hours until diarrhea sets in, then back off the dose some but continue to take the sodium ascorbate every two hours. You won't feel great, but if it works for you like it did for me you will not have any severe withdrawal symptoms at all. You need to take it every two hours, which means you may need to wake up every two hours. For me, the withdrawal symptoms would wake me up at about the two hour mark, then I would take the sodium ascorbate mixed with a little juice, and the symptoms would subside in about 20 or 30 min. I would not have believed that this simple substance would work to eliminate withdrawal from oxycodone (100 – 120 mg per day) but it does. You can purchase a bottle of the powder on <no vendor or price discussions>

I was taking oxycodone at this level for about four years. I have some ibogaine here at my house that I was going to use, but decided to give the sodium ascorbate a try. It worked, and in my opinion is easier than the ibogaine. Certainly less expensive.

I have quit oxycodone and Suboxone about five times in the last 10 years. I have never tried heroin, but I understand that oxycodone is basically its equivalent. Obviously, I have trouble staying off opiates. However, for what it's worth, the sodium ascorbate has proven to be the best and easiest method to quit that I have found. Previously, I would have said ibogaine is the easiest method. DO NOT use ibogaine if you are taking Adderall or any other amphetamine because it will mess you up. I found this out the hard way the last time I used ibogaine and I was a mess for about a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you taking 5 grams every two hours? Can you take a multivitamin mineral and eat alot of high potasssium foods i think that much sodium ions can disrupt the careful balance of potassium and other minerals

You have to take enough to make it work. I worried the same way you are thinking. There is an old study floating aroung by a guy who came up with this. 5g every 2 hours worked for me and compared to withdrawal was nothing concerning.

Did you replace your fluids?

And i was consuming like 10- 20 g sodium every day for months so thats prob might be a reason i didnt start to feel sick until months and even then it might of been placebo but i just felt kinda off.

I drink a lot of water to stay hydrated. Taking potassium and a multivitamin would not hurt I'm sure. I don't think you need to worry about taking too much sodium. I researched this quite a bit and found many success stories without any bad side effects due to too much sodium. It's funny how we take these drugs in large doses without any apparent concern about health issues, but then get concerned that taking high doses of vitamin C (sodium ascorbate) might harm us because of high sodium levels. I know what taking large doses of oxycodone has done to my overall levels of motivation and energy, as well as my pocketbook, and concerns about too much sodium take a backseat to the idea of getting off the drugs. Good luck.

The high dose vitamin C suggestion for withdrawal has popped up a few times and I was always highly skeptical. Still am, but it has appeared enough times that I'm beginning to think there may be something to it.

Are you taking 5 grams every two hours? Can you take a multivitamin mineral and eat alot of high potasssium foods i think that much sodium ions can disrupt the careful balance of potassium and other minerals

If it does work, I wonder if d1nach is on to something. Just because a handful of people have, so far, allegedly used high dose vitamin C to help alleviate withdrawals without any harm doesn't mean it isn't potentially harmful. I'm no expert so I cannot weigh in, but I think it begs further study before we can recommend it on a HR forum.

The OP says he was taking frequent high dose vitamin C to get off 120mg of oxy a day. I wonder for those who have larger habits that try to quit cold turkey with constant high dose vitamin C doses. They may be vomiting and shitting so much that high dose vitamin C may be more dangerous since they will be dehydrated and seriously lacking in electrolytes? Just a thought...

Sorry it didn't work for you. Do you mind telling exactly what you did to try it?

Well I definitely don't think you should write something off as rubbish just because it didn't work for you.

I have heard of this working for quite a few people now and actually know two people that it worked for.

I think many people simply think it is to good to be true therefor it isn't true, however I think it's definitely worth a try.

I read the article and can't see why ascorbic acid couldn't be used though, in fact it mentioned one study in which it was used so I don't think it is necessary to use sodium ascorbate I think any form of vitamin c would work.

I have been considering giving this a try myself and have considered using liposomal vitamin c, it is supposed to have a far greater bioavailability than other forms of vitamin c and would theoretically require about one third of the dose.
Also I have heard of people using lopemide in conjunction with the high dose vitamin c protocol.

Thanks for informing us of your results man.

The liposomal vitamin c is a good idea. A little more expensive but more bio available as you say. Report back on your results.

I know it is hard to believe but it does work--at least it did for me. If it can help someone else great.

Getting of 120 mg of oxycodone is no small feat. It is impossible to know how much of a role vitamin c played. However, i know when i got my tooth pulled and was on 5 mg of oxycodone i felt my tooth pain stop and and was on it like clock work holding the next dose taking it on the minute 4 hour mark. So, its pretty impressive you have more self control then me.

I don't know.... Sounds placebo-y. But I'll sure as hell give it a try next time I take a sobriety break and have to get back on Subs. You know what REALLY works is taking a ton of Immodium, swear to god. I even remember reading a thread where some girl was addicted to it. They say it doesn't cross the BBB but I think us junkies know more with our hands-on experience than some normie in a white coat writing white papers for a university.

Yeah, the immodium really does work. I almost forgot that I tried that one time. Did it for a few days to get through the worst of the withdrawal. If I remember correctly, I was taking 20 or 30 tablets at a time. I went to work one day actually feeling pretty good and surprised I felt good. Several people asked me if I was okay and I couldn't figure out why until I got home. My pupils were extremely dilated and I looked pretty weird. I have also read the same thing you did about people getting addicted and having great difficulty getting off of it. So the suggestion has been to only take it for a few days at most.

Stillwaters– – Give the vitamin C a chance next time you quit. Use sodium ascorbate powder mixed with a swallow of grapefruit juice-- and make sure you take enough – about four or 5 g every two hours starting after your last dose. Keep taking it until the diarrhea sets in and then back off the dosage some. If you feel the withdrawal symptoms setting in or continuing, then take a little more. You are not going to overdose on sodium ascorbate. I took some Imodium for the diarrhea – not a lot just the regular dosage. I have posted about my success with this method here and on another forum as I wanted to help people, and have been met with a lot of skepticism. In hindsight, I understand that it's hard to believe. I have a serious addiction to pain pills– Oxycodone. I've had it for about 15 years. I have quit and gone back to them six or seven times. Ever since those first two cold turkey withdrawals I have been looking at using different methods to ease the suffering. The same search a lot of people here are doing I suspect.

I was on a 3 month binge after being clean for 1.5 months. I used about 120mg suboxone per day, or 150mg heroin per day. switched between the two based on availability. Tapered with suboxone for 2 weeks (from 4mg to 0.5 in 2 weeks, droppping 0.5 every day) and ended with vitamin C 7g every 2.5 hours as well. This was not enough to feel fully confortable, so I supplemented 5g kratom 2/3 times a day as well.

Taking less kratom every day till it's a completely painless withdrawal :) except a few soulless days coming up I guess :(.

My plan is to stay clean for 3 months now to reset tolerances.

I also got weird asthma problems from heroin. Never had that of oxy

Does anybody know how long you can take sodium ascorbate in such high doses?
No idea, but I'm going to try this too for a few days. Taking huge doses like that can't be good for weeks or months on end but I'm not sure how bad it would really be.

I really wish it was that easy and you could fix yourself with just vitamin C.

Its assuredly not this easy. Giant doses of vitamin C will do nothing for severe opioid withdrawal.

Then again, ive never tried it so how can i be sure 🤔