• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

SO Weather thread - what's it like at your place now?

Just another day in Western New York.

We'd literally need to get like 4 ft. of snow in a single day for anyone to care.

I'm experiencing this at present.

These people know how to get by. Even the sidewalks are plowed daily. I'm learning to hate the snow again.

I'm about an hour south of where he is.

i'm pretty amazed that i had snow day today. there only appears to be a few inches of snow on the ground but i guess there was freezing rain mixed in this morning. if the news is to be believed, there is another round of snow and rain coming tonight.

there is nothing better than being woken up by your alarm, checking your phone and seeing a text from the principal that school is canceled and going right back to bed :)

Hey yall, we thought we could make this a general weather thread to discuss weather that's occurring all over the world, since SO is not region-specific.

Good luck for everyone in the snowstorm in NE US! I hope it doesn't cause too much strife. I tell ya guys, I'd much rather be there than here. It's been like 105-110F every day this week in Sydney :X

Sunny and beautiful.... curse of living in Southern California. *sigh*

how about a one way trade?

Heehee yes please! =D

Let's all spare a thought for the people up in North Queensland (Aus) who are bracing for a category 5 tropical cyclone to hit the coast in about 9 hours from now:
Damn.jpg

Best of luck to them <3

What happened to the big 1/31 to 2/3/11 storm?

Last week they were talking about us getting a record breaking storm maybe, but so far we've got nothing....... Last night we were supposed to get 1 inch of snow, but nope! Today and now we are getting fog and a little mist, thats it. Tommorrow it is supposed to be maybe some freezing rain, but I think its supposed to be like 40 degrees here then 37 degrees on thursday.

Dont get me wrong, Im glad we got a big goose egg!

Heehee yes please! =D

Let's all spare a thought for the people up in North Queensland (Aus) who are bracing for a category 5 tropical cyclone to hit the coast in about 9 hours from now:
Damn.jpg

Best of luck to them <3

Best of luck to them yeah, but at least its warm there........ I'd trade the wind and rain and warm weather for the cold and possible big snows in the midwest......

They say were in the deformation zone, whatever that is? Up to 60 mph winds, thunder, lightning, and reports of hail. Over a foot so far @ 11pm, still forecasting 24 inches by tomorrow. Huge drifts. I went out at 4pm roads sucked than, now they are unplowable. You can see like 30 feet with the backyard floodlights on. Reminds me of the snow storms up near Mt. Washington up in NH. School was canceled today and tomorrow, nice. I'm burning the fireplace and doing what I do best.

basically its really crazy outside.

People are driving backwards on lsd, cars stuck and people just leaving there cars on the drive. Here is a related video I guess.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhYIYb44wFs&feature=related

:D

Last edited:
Heehee yes please! =D

Damn.jpg

Best of luck to them <3

Wow.
I hope everything will be okay for everyone in the path there <3
Looks scary!

They say were in the deformation zone, whatever that is? Up to 60 mph winds, thunder, lightning, and reports of hail. Over a foot so far @ 11pm, still forecasting 24 inches by tomorrow. Huge drifts. I went out at 4pm roads sucked than, now they are unplowable. You can see like 30 feet with the backyard floodlights on.

That sounds absolutely insane seedless!! It's giving me butterflies of excitement in my stomach just thinking about it.
As long as everyone is safe and warm <3

Yeah it is crazy neo. 3rd biggest snow storm in Chicago's history, 20+ inches. Massive drifts. Thank god it is powdery snow and semi light. Havent bothered to go out and try driving but my roads are plowed I just have to dig out the end of the driveway. It would be really nice if univ. cancelled class for a 3rd day tomorrow, I guess time will tell.

pics:
http://www.tecca.com/news/2011/02/02/10-amazing-2011-blizzard-photos/

video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbYr3bvQBMY&feature=player_embedded

There are some great pictures of ring lightning from the storm last night but cant find them right now.

FUN

^+1 it's fucked up here(chicago) for sure.
I spent like 2 hours shoveling earlier today and barely made a dent :\
There's something like 1500 cars literally abandoned on lake shore drive still 8( (At least that's what the news said. Fuck if I'm going outside again)

Well we have about an inch thick of sheet ice on everything today. Good thing we didn't get any more snow, there's already multiple feet on the ground after the last few blizzards we've had up here in New England (CT specifically) It's up past my waist in the yard and there are 10+' snowbanks all over town. Fuckin incredible man.

Our weather (I live in the Pacific Northwest in the US) has been odd this winter- We've had snowfall a few times- but mostly it has been rainy. We've had pretty bad flooding and landslides.
We've been sunny the last few days while the rest of the country is getting all this snow........Rain is supposed to move back in and we really needed more time before we got more wet. Luckily its pretty cold so hopefully the freezing level is low which will help to prevent some flooding........

What happened with the Hurricane in Oz?

^Wow. That's so crazy!!
Great pics!
I hope there are more photos posted of the snow!! :)