• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

SO Photography Contest Discussion!!

^^^
i like these ideas

i also wish that this thread could be posted in when a new contest is started... mostly because i usually only check subscribed threads and i forget to check this forum regularly. but that's my own damn lazy problem :D

how do the subject suggestions work? anyone can make them, and then they happen if and when a SO mod chooses them?

"dresses"

Yeah, we don't have a timeline of when everyone posted their ideas so what we've been doing is exactly what you say: they're chosen at random.

Rather than clutter an individual thread, I'll put this here:

Looks like you may be winner by default when the time comes, if no one else posts.
Whats up folks? Why aren't people participating?

I hope the next three items on the list bring out some good pics.
There is confusion on my end as far as which is the latest contest. This is from last week, yet I don't see one for this week. Are they still posted on Sundays? The last few Sundays/Mondays I have checked for a new contest, I haven't seen one...

ETA: Perhaps weekly a link to the new contest and to the previous contests' results could be posted in this thread? This way those who have subscribed to this thread (and therefore have an interest in the contests) could be alerted to a new contest? Granted that is another step to remember when creating the weekly threads, but it's just an idea. :p

Last edited:
The last few Sundays/Mondays I have checked for a new contest, I haven't seen one..

I just noticed this so I felt like I had to respond. I can only speak for myself, but it's tough to keep up with the contests at times due to lack of entries/activity. Perhaps the mods share some blame in what topics we select, then again we are picking from user-generated lists. ;) There's also been a lot going on IRL for me lately. I believe the other 2 mods are in a bit of a transitional phase themselves.

However, this is no excuse and we are looking for moderator positions to help out (hint hint everyone). We've also been looking for ways to increase contest traffic -- as always any and all suggestions are welcome. As for this week's thread, it's halfway through the week so perhaps it's best to wait until the weekend for a new one. I promise one will be up by Sunday night.

There is confusion on my end as far as which is the latest contest

The contests are numbered, so whichever is the highest you see is the latest. You can also perform an SO-only forum search for the keyword 'contest' to bring up the photo threads exclusively. But yes, we need to do a better job of locking old threads lest they be bumped by people asking 'LOL am i 2 late guise.jpg'.

Last edited:
^ Thanks for the reply, Max. :) Nice to know that my inquiry didn't fall upon deaf ears blind eyes. ;)

I just noticed this so I felt like I had to respond. I can only speak for myself, but it's tough to keep up with the contests at times due to lack of entries/activity. Perhaps the mods share some blame in what topics we select, then again we are picking from user-generated lists. ;) There's also been a lot going on IRL for me lately. I believe the other 2 mods are in a bit of a transitional phase themselves.

However, this is no excuse and we are looking for moderator positions to help out (hint hint everyone). We've also been looking for ways to increase contest traffic -- as always any and all suggestions are welcome. As for this week's thread, it's halfway through the week so perhaps it's best to wait until the weekend for a new one. I promise one will be up by Sunday night.

The contests are numbered, so whichever is the highest you see is the latest. You can also perform an SO-only forum search for the keyword 'contest' to bring up the photo threads exclusively. But yes, we need to do a better job of locking old threads lest they be bumped by people asking 'LOL am i 2 late guise.jpg'.

I can speak for myself and agree with you that all three of us are in a transitional stage in life. I just now realized we've missed two contests in a row. I suppose it says a lot for my attentiveness, but hey, when you're busy, some things end up at the wayside.

To add to my list of suggestions above- what about words?

^Yay!
We've done zodiac signs before, but I'd like to see that one as well as BL handle come back for a 2nd time around!!
We've also done rainbows which deserves another go as well imo :D

Let's see, what else.....
Fave color
Sand
Trees
Broken
Forgotten
Despair
Ancient
Law
Seasons- broken into the four?

Wait, I see BL handle was added- Here is a repost of the above though some of them have been done, or are set to be done soon.

What about..... doors? :D I have a fb album for Doors and Windows but when I just posted a bunch there I thought...hey!! We need Doors! IT would be almost impossible for me to choose one for the contest but I'd LOVE to see door photos.

I also for sure admit my part in fault for slacking the photo contest in the past month leading up to the new mods especially. I think a couple of fresh perspectives on the photo contest will whip it back into shape.

I think what ill miss most of all about modding SO is picking the themes each round. Le sigh. More of a reason to contribute here i suppose!

I'd like to see Door Ways. They can be magical things.

"No Best Entry"?

Was thinking that maybe there should be a "No Best Entry" option in the weekly photography contests?--Sometimes none of the photos capture what the voter may feel the theme represents, and rather than not vote, I feel they should have a say.

Yes? No? Maybe? ;) I honestly don't care either way--Just figured I'd pass the idea along. *Shrug*

Eh, the photo contests are for fun. A 'null vote' is just making a statement while contributing nothing to the contest. While I see your point, there in no way to properly adjust for it.

or maybe there is. But I don't believe adding that option to the polls is necessarily it.

how about HOUSE ?

I'm gonna add House anyways. So if you have a problem, deal with it. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh, the photo contests are for fun. A 'null vote' is just making a statement while contributing nothing to the contest. While I see your point, there in no way to properly adjust for it.

or maybe there is. But I don't believe adding that option to the polls is necessarily it.
Thanks for getting back to me about it--Perhaps it is a bit harsh, but some weeks I just don't feel there is a best entry, and I'm sure I'm not alone here...