• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids So my Dad is 80 and just had a dirty urine for morphine WTF!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeachBum4u

Bluelighter
So we're both in pain management protocols and he mentioned to me today that his doctor handed him a paper with his recent urine test on it. For the record, he takes 10mg of Opana ER twice a day. He had been prescribed Oxycodone 15mg as needed basically but he had some major complications with it, so he has since stopped taking the Oxycodone. So, only Oxymorphone should show up in his test. He tested positive for morphine and he was baffled to say the least. He wouldn't know where to get morphine if he did want it at his age. He looked at the doctor and said, I take what you give me! The doctor proceeded to ask if he ate poppy seeds etc. but he doesn't so that was that. Basically, he thinks the doctor tends to believe him. Again he is no spring chicken and basically follows doctor's orders. So I've been looking around on-line trying to figure out what might have happened to him and I just don't know what to tell him. Everything I can find says Oxymorphone only breaks down to itself and maybe a hint of Oxycodone (which again, he stopped taking).

Does anyone out there have any experience with anything like this. I'd love to give him some info to take back to his doctor but I'm having trouble finding anything. Thank you in advance my BL brothers and sisters! God Bless!

Tylenol with codeine....or any sort of codeine if you live somewhere that it's OTC. (Codeine and heroin show as morphine in the body Pretty sure he's not doing h lol)

Other than that, google false positives and you can see what else can cause it...

Thanks but he doesn't take codeine at all and we live in the states. I appreciate the advice but I just spent about an hour on google and couldn't find anything that really fit the bill. Thanks again!

thats what happens when pretty much all clinical lab workers and supervisors have zero understanding of sciemce, drug testing, drug metabolism, and even basic arithmetic. I used to work in one of these labs...they are a fucking joke how incompetent the supervisors and workers are allowed to be. I wrote to state politicians about it several times on what I saw but nobody gives a shit. the labs are usually "supervised" by a doctor with zero knowledge on toxicology or drug testting...by supervised I mean the doctor has never visited the lab before and signs papers that are totally falsified and bullshitted by incompetent uneducated lab workers

someone fucked up.;

in all likelihood, it's simply a false-positive. Dipstick and Panel drug tests are terribly unreliable. I've had one hit on morphine test, while not registering the Adderall and Ativan that I take daily, that's why when it's concerning something important like employment or your freedom, they ALWAYS send out the urine for a gas spectrum test to verify the results. But it sounds like with your fathers age and disposition the doc probably is just going to chalk it up as a false test instead of worrying about getting it retested

in all likelihood, it's simply a false-positive. Dipstick and Panel drug tests are terribly unreliable. I've had one hit on morphine test, while not registering the Adderall and Ativan that I take daily, that's why when it's concerning something important like employment or your freedom, they ALWAYS send out the urine for a gas spectrum test to verify the results. But it sounds like with your fathers age and disposition the doc probably is just going to chalk it up as a false test instead of worrying about getting it retested

At the end of the day, I think it'll all work out OK for him but he's just very baffled, like I said. We're a family of accountants where we rely on certain truths, you know one plus one etc. It's the basis of our professions and this just doesn't compute, if you get my drift. For the record, I do think he had a gas spec test performed (not 100%). I was really hoping to give him some future ammo to show the doc but I'm beginning to think that may be harder than I thought to obtain. Thank you for your reply!

thats what happens when pretty much all clinical lab workers and supervisors have zero understanding of sciemce, drug testing, drug metabolism, and even basic arithmetic. I used to work in one of these labs...they are a fucking joke how incompetent the supervisors and workers are allowed to be. I wrote to state politicians about it several times on what I saw but nobody gives a shit. the labs are usually "supervised" by a doctor with zero knowledge on toxicology or drug testting...by supervised I mean the doctor has never visited the lab before and signs papers that are totally falsified and bullshitted by incompetent uneducated lab workers

someone fucked up.;

Thanks LD! I get what you're saying and I totally cringe to think that things could be that fucked up but apparently they are, at least somewhere! I really find that fact so disconcerting and can't even tell you but what the fuck is the average Joe supposed to do when facing their doctor, seriously, Say, hey doc, someone fucked up - you know what I mean? Most docs are going to laugh in your face. Thanks again for your experiences and I do pray they aren't quite that bad here, realizing I may be spitting in the wind on that one.

I have no idea how drug tests work however I do like chemistry and oxymorphone is extremely similar to morphine. So similar that one could convert morphine to oxymorphone <snip> . Therefore when only small changes on the molecule make oxymorphone different from morphine and morphine can be converted to oxymorphone I doubt the test could tell the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tested positive for Oxycodone when I had never had that drug. Ever. My doc and I had quite an argument about it but it was finally accepted as a false positive.

As others have said, it could be a false positive, so they should do a retest and if it's just a Dipstick and Panel drug test they should do a GC/MS

Normally I close drug testing questions, because they're against the rules, but as you don't want to beat the test I'll let the thread stay open for a while

Sorry about the synth. I tried to leave out all the mechanisms and chemicals. I was just trying to emphasize how similar they are. Perhaps this might put it better. Chemicals are like legos made into complex shapes. The difference between morphine and oxymorphone is only a few legos so a crude test might have issues telling the difference.

I've tested positive for Oxycodone when I had never had that drug. Ever. My doc and I had quite an argument about it but it was finally accepted as a false positive.

Yep, in all my searches I did find your situation come up very frequently. Apparently there are many drugs that break down one way or another to oxycodone. Good Luck!

It's probably a metabolite of oxymorphone or as others said a false positive. There's really no definitive answer any of us he can give only speculative, which could be far from the reality of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.