• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

So let’s talk about isoquinolines

DoriansDelorean

Greenlighter
Just came across what is technically the follow up to Tikal and Phikal. I must admit I am a little annoyed no one has ever mentioned this book around me, and I’m genuinely surprised at the lack of qualitative data about this chemical family. I can’t seem to find effect reports on them, and yet in his book Shulgin says that to explain psychedelics to someone, a trinity of practical examples are needed. First the psychedelic Phenethylamines, then the tryptamines, & he states the third branch of psychedelics would be the Isoquinolines
The book is a must read and is full of pharmacology notes and drug designing notes I could have never hoped to hear from shulgin himself. Folding over one of them apparently mimics the morphine structure, & this is where the morphanans come from.

I have seen some tetrahydraBcarboline for sale recently; surely there must be some of you out there who can give me a little more subjective effect data for this large class of chemicals? If you find their effects absolutely boring af that’s ok just be honest🤷‍♂️

Personally I miss AIHKAL - arylcyclohexylamines I've known and loved, and thought I'll write it myself but then psychosis hit me and seems like I need to leave it to somebody else ...

Heard the word isoquinoline before, guess it must have been here on N&PD but don't remember any more details unfortunately. Morphinans are pretty interesting, just look at DXM but guess you mean something different as dissociatives aren't seen as true psychedelics even when I think some of them are.

Shulgin wrote the isoquinolines as a follow up to thikal and PiHKAL. He said they are related to psychedelics unlike the way dissos are

I’m very intrigued by all this I’m just surprised there’s so little info Read the first 2 pages.

Personally I miss AIHKAL - arylcyclohexylamines I've known and loved, and thought I'll write it myself but then psychosis hit me and seems like I need to leave it to somebody else ...

Heard the word isoquinoline before, guess it must have been here on N&PD but don't remember any more details unfortunately. Morphinans are pretty interesting, just look at DXM but guess you mean something different as dissociatives aren't seen as true psychedelics even when I think some of them are.

Dude why not you though? Psychosis is transient as is everything in life, there’s still time ;)

-GC

Just came across what is technically the follow up to Tikal and Phikal. I must admit I am a little annoyed no one has ever mentioned this book around me, and I’m genuinely surprised at the lack of qualitative data about this chemical family. I can’t seem to find effect reports on them, and yet in his book Shulgin says that to explain psychedelics to someone, a trinity of practical examples are needed. First the psychedelic Phenethylamines, then the tryptamines, & he states the third branch of psychedelics would be the Isoquinolines
The book is a must read and is full of pharmacology notes and drug designing notes I could have never hoped to hear from shulgin himself. Folding over one of them apparently mimics the morphine structure, & this is where the morphanans come from.

I have seen some tetrahydraBcarboline for sale recently; surely there must be some of you out there who can give me a little more subjective effect data for this large class of chemicals? If you find their effects absolutely boring af that’s ok just be honest🤷‍♂️

Interesting you bring this up, I remember wondering if it would ever come out a long time ago and then never hearing of it again.

I’m going to look for an online version.

-GC

Oh my god this book is rare and seems to run 250-600$!!

-GC

Bro go to that link it’s a pdf of shulgins book, lol again I state: quite frankly I’m a little aggrevated this isn’t in public domain. Technically yeah there’s he book pdf I posted earlier in this thread but it’s not the best quality and it feels like this should Be much more common knowledge... unless they suck; but I don’t feel like shulgin would write book 3 on nothing but novel somewhat to not at all active boring naturally occurring alkaloid content of cactus species. I think he would have plenty of tricks up his sleeve with This book. At current read it hasnt let me down as the follow up to TiHKAL and PiHKAL.... I just hope someone isn’t gonna dash my hopes and tell me they all suck. Lol I feel like shulgin left us some bread crumbs on purpose but kept them quiet once he saw how regulated his compounds became, but it’s also clear from the work that he’s meant to present this information for a long time
I envy the kids that are gonna be gettin high 100-200 years from now.

Last edited:
Eh I’m not about signing up for “free trials” just to read something but I appreciate it :). I’d honestly rather have the book. You have it right? Photocopy it for me and I’ll but it for 75$ lol. Jk, kinda.

I’d wager there are some gems in there but like PIHKAL and TIKHAL I’m assuming relatively more hunks of rock than gems. Is there any bioassay information in the book or strictly chemistry/plant analysis related stuff?

-GC

You don’t have to sign up to read it it’s already there printed out like what ur asking for, for free😉. No download Just X out of the free trial prompts and read away. It’s like google books giving a preview but they give the whole book out if u just keep scrolling. Someone legit photo copied that bitch page for page. No I don’t have it this is the only copy I’ve found online after searching for a while

And ions, could you elaborate? Are you saying those are isoquinolines?

You don’t have to sign up to read it it’s already there printed out like what ur asking for, for free😉. No download Just X out of the free trial prompts and read away. It’s like google books giving a preview but they give the whole book out if u just keep scrolling. Someone legit photo copied that bitch page for page. No I don’t have it this is the only copy I’ve found online after searching for a while

And ions, could you elaborate? Are you saying those are isoquinolines?

Jesus F, no excuse for that... Thank you not sure how I didn’t simply scroll down but I guess I saw the download button and “rushed to conclusions” lol.

And yes they are..

-GC

Thanks but the preview isn't giving every page. Seems to exclude 10 pages every so often. If I can track down a copy of the full PDF I'll upload it somewhere for you guys.

Full book here not the best PDF but it's the best we're going to get until I can afford this $800 book. I'm going to seek this one out locally because I want it for my collection. Time to crawl through all the used book stores and hope no one knows how much this one is worth.

Last edited:
that’s weird I’ve read American physo among others all the way through on scribed without an account; maybe it’s a browser issue.
Either way I’ll post some pics but many of these pages you’re missing describe yhe qualitative data on each chemical that are all isoquinolines and can Be found in the table of contents.
Surely there’s someone here who can speculate on effects going off the chemical Formula alone
Why is it so hard to get subjective data on the effects on a compound shulgin wrote and almost called “book 3” or thikal(tetrahydro-isoquinolines I have known and loved)
Shulgin has a way of being very complex and expecting you to have serious background into. I haven’t tried but any of these and I still have no idea what kinds of drug we’re talking about here but if shulgin found them important enough to cover I will take him at his word. I’m just surprised there’s so little Quantitative data on these compounds within the community. Surely someone would have come across this And indeed has come across these compounds

Last edited:
that’s weird I’ve read American physo among others all the way through on scribed without an account; maybe it’s a browser issue.
Either way I’ll post some pics but many of these pages you’re missing describe yhe qualitative data on each chemical that are all isoquinolines and can Be found in the table of contents.
Surely there’s someone here who can speculate on effects going off the chemical Formula alone
Why is it so hard to get subjective data on the effects on a compound shulgin wrote and almost called “book 3” or thikal(tetrahydro-isoquinolines I have known and loved)
Shulgin has a way of being very complex and expecting you to have serious background into. I haven’t tried but any of these and I still have no idea what kinds of drug we’re talking about here but if shulgin found them important enough to cover I will take him at his word. I’m just surprised there’s so little Quantitative data on these compounds within the community. Surely someone would have come across this And indeed has come across these compounds

Na I got the same thing, they give a lot of info but do skip pages here n there.

-GC

weird when i get on a desktop its missing pages too.... maybe i made an account one blacked out night and am still signed in, not entirely sure; but i did check out the other link Headphones&LSD graciously found for us, and while i agree that an actual copy would be a dream, i would hate for this informative thread to get too caught up in trying to find shulgins 3rd book pristine and free in pdf. lets get some information in here.

There are two neutral Benzopyridines: quinoline (benzopyridine) and isoquinoline (benzo[c]pyridine), altogether by the quinolizinium cation (benzo[a]pyridinium) up by a ring fusion that employs the nitrogen atom. Quinolines and isoquinolines are very significant as their derivatives, a large proportion of which are alkaloids. Quinoline is a heterocyclic aromatic organic compound with the chemical formula C9H7N. It is a colorless hygroscopic liquid with a strong odor. Aged samples, especially if exposed to light, become yellow and later brown. Quinoline is only slightly soluble in cold water but dissolves readily in hot water and most organic solvents. Quinoline itself has few applications, but many of its derivatives are useful in diverse applications. Isoquinoline is a heterocyclic aromatic organic compound. It is a structural isomer of quinoline. Isoquinoline and quinoline are benzopyridines, which are composed of a benzene ring fused to a pyridine ring. In a broader sense, the term isoquinoline is used to make reference to isoquinoline derivatives. 1-Benzylisoquinoline is the structural backbone in naturally occurring alkaloids including papaverine. The isoquinoline ring in these natural compound derives from the aromatic amino acid tyrosine. Contents – • Quinoline : • Synthetic methods including Skraup synthesis, Doebner-Miller synthesis, Friedlander synthesis, Pfitzinger synthesis, Pictet synthesis, Conrad-Limpach synthesis. • Reactions with acids, Electrophilic Aromatic Substitution (EAS), nucleophiles, oxidizing and reducing agents, reaction with S and Hg. • Isoquinoline : • Synthetic methods including Bischler-Napieralski, Pictet-Gams, Pomeranz-Fritsch, Pictet-Spengler syntheses. • Reactions including EAS, nucleophiles, oxidizing and reducing agents ................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... Pharma Knowledge Website : http://pharmaknowledge.tk PharmaAssist________

Acetonyl-reframidine N-Acetylanolobine N-Acetylanonaine N-Acetylanhalamine N-Acetylanhalonine N-Acetylasimilobine D-Acetylfumaricine N-Acetyllaurelliptine N-Acetyllaurolitsine N-Acetyl-3-methoxynornantenine N-Acetyl-3-methoxynornuciferine N-Acetylnomantenine N-Acetylnomuciferine N-Acetyl-seco-N -methylla urotetanine N-Acetylstepharine D-Acetylsukhodianine N-Acetylxylopine Actinodaphnine Acutifolidine Adlumiceine Adlumiceine enol lactone Adlumidiceine Adlumidiceine enol lactone Adlumidine Adlumine Aducaine Aequaline Alborine AlkaloidFk-5 AlkaloidPO-3 Allocryptopine a-Allocryptopine Alpinone I The Simple Plant Isoquinolines Amurensine Amurensinine Amurine Amurinol I Analobine Anaxagoreine Anhalamine Anhalidine Anhalinine Anhalonidine Anhalonine Anhalotine Anibacanine Anicanine Anisocycline Annocherine A Annocherine B Annolatine Annonelliptine Anolobine Anomoline Anomuricine Anomurine Anonaine Aobamine Aobamidine Apocavidine Apocrotonosine Apocrotsparine Apoglaziovine Aporeine Aporheine Aporpheine Argemonine Argemonine me tho hydroxide Argemonine N-oxide Argentinine Argentinine N-oxide Arizonine Armepavine Arosine Arosinine Trivial Name Index Artabonatine A Artabonatine B Artavenustine Aryapavine Asimilobine Asimilobine-~-D-glucoside Atheroline Atherospermidine Atherosperminine Atherosperminine N-oxide Aurotensine Ayuthianine Backebergine Baicaline Belemine 2-Benzazine l-Benzylisoquinoline Berberastine Berbericine Berbericinine Berberilycine Berberine Berberrubine Berbervirine Berbine Berbin-8-one Berbithine Berbitine Berlambine Bernumicine Bemumidine Bemumine Beroline Bharatamine Bicuculline Bicucullinidine Bicucullinine Biflorine Bisnorargemonine Boldine Boldinemethiodide Bracteoline The Simple Plant Isoquinolines Breoganine Bromcholitin Bulbocapnine Bulbocapnine methiodide Bulbocapnine N-oxide Bulbodoine Buxifoline Caaverine Califomine Califomidine Calycinine Calycotomine Canadaline Canadine a-Canadine ~-Canadine Canadinic acid Canelilline Capaurimine Capaurine Capaurine N-oxide Capnoidine Capnosine Capnosinine N-Carbamoylanonaine N-Carbamoylasimilobine N-Carboxamidostepharine Carlumine Camegine Carpoxidine Caryachine Caryachine methiodide Caseadine Caseadine N-oxide Caseadinium quat Caseamine Case amine N-oxide Caseanadine Caseanidine Caseanine Cassamedine Cassameridine Cassyfiline Cassyformine Cassythicin e Cassythidine Cassythine Cataline Catalpifoline Cavidine Celtine Celtisine Cephakicin e Cephamonine Cephamuline Cephasugine Cerasodine Cerasonine Chakranine Cheilanthifoline Cherianoine Cinnamolaurine Cissaglaberrimin e Cissamine Oarkeanidine Claviculine Coclanoline B Coclaurine Cocsarmine Codamine Codamine N-oxide Colchiethanamine Colchiethine Colletine Columbamine Constrictosin e Coptisine Corarnine Coreximine Corftaline Corgoine Corledine Corlumidine Corlumine Trivial Name Index 5 The Simple Plant Isoquinolines Corphthaline Corunnine Corybrachylobine Corybulbine Corycavidine Corycavamine Corycavine Corycularicine Corydaldine Corydalidzine Corydaline Corydalisol Corydalispirone Corydalmine Corydalmine methochloride Corydalmine N-oxide Corydecumbine Corydine Corydine methine Corydine N-oxide Corydinine Corygovanine Coryrnotine Corynoxidine Corypalline Corypalmine Coryphenanthrine Coryrutine Corysamine Corysolidine Corystewartine Corytenchine Corytenchirine Corytensine Corytuberine Coryximine Cotarnine Cotarnoline Coulteroberbinone Coulteropine Crabbine Crassifoline Trivial Name Index 7 Crassifoline methine Crebanine Crebanine N-oxide Cristadine Crotoflorine Crotonosine Crotsparine Crotsparinine Crychine Crykonisine Cryprochine Cryptaustoline Cryptocavine Cryptodorine Cryptopine Cryptopleurospermine Cryptostyline I Cryptostyline II Cryptostyline III Cryptowolidine Cryptowoline Cryptowolinol Cucoline Culacorine Cularicine Cularidine Cularidine N-oxide Cularirnine • Cularine • Cularine N-oxide Cyclanoline l a-Cyclanoline t p.cyclanoline IDanguyelline l Dasymachaline ~ Dauricoside · Decumbenine · Decumbenine-C C Decumbensine · epi~-Decurnbensine ~lucopterocereine · Deglucopterocerelne N-oxide The Simple Plant Isoquinolines Dehassiline 1,2-Dehydroanhalarnine 1,2-Dehydroanhalidinium quat 1,2-Dehydroanhalonidine Dehvdroanonaine Dehydroboldine Dehydrocapaurimine Dehydrocavidine Dehydrocheilanthifoline Dehydrocorybulbine Dehydrocorydaline Dehydrocorydalmine Dehydrocorydine Dehydrocorypalline Dehydrocorytenchine Dehydrocrebanine Dehydrodicentrine Dehydrodiscretamine Dehydrodiscretine Dehydroformouregine Dehydroglaucentrine Dehydroglaucine Dehydroguattescine 1,2-Dehydroheliarnine 1,2,3,4-Dehydroheliamine Dehydroisoboldine 3,4-Dehydroisocorydione Dehydroisocorypalmine Dehydroisolaureline Dehydroisothebaine 1,2-Dehydrolemaireocereine Dehydrolirinidine Dehydronantenine Dehydroneolitsine 6,6a-Dehydronorglaucine 6,6a-Dehydronorlaureline Dehydronomuciferine 1,2-Dehydronortehuanine 1,2-Dehydronorweberine Dehydronuciferine Dehydroocopodine Dehydroocoteine Trivial Name Index 9 1,2-Dehydropach ycereine 1,2,3,4-Dehy dropach ycereine 1,2-Dehydropellotinium quat Dehydrophanostenine Dehydrophoebine Dehydropredicentrine Dehydropseud och eilanthifo line Dehydroremerine a-Dehydroreticuline Dehydroroemerine 1,2-Dehydrosalso lidine Dehydrostephalagine Dehydrostephanine Dehydrostesakine Dehydrothalicmine Dehydrothalicsimidine Dehydroxylopine Dehydroxyushinsunine Delporphine 6-O-Demeth yladlumi dine 6-O-Demethyladlumine N-Demethy lamurine 8-Demethylargemonine Demethylcoclaurine N-Demethylcolletine 1Q-O-Demethylcoryd ine 3'-0-Demeth ylcularine 1Q-O-Demethyldiscretine n-0-Demeth yldiscretine Demethyleneberberine N-Demethy lfumaritine 0-7'-Demethy 1-l3-hydrastine 9-O-Demethylimeluteine N-Demethy lisocorytuberine N-Demethyllinoferine 04-Demethy lmurarnine 3'-Demethylpa paverine 7-Demethylpapaverine N-Demethylstephalagine 3-0-Demethy lthalicthuberine 2-Demethylthalimonine 9-Demethylthalimonine The Simple Plant Isoquinolines 10-Demethylxylopinine 203 Densiberine 217 Deoxythalidastine 267 7-0-Desmethylisosalsolidine 90 Desmethylnarcotine 446 O-Desmethylweberine 455 N,O-Diacetyl-3-hydroxynornuciferine 375 N,O-Diacetylisopiline 386 N,O-Diacetylnoroliveroline 257 Dicentrine 301 Dicentrinone 306 Didehydroaporheine 250 Didehydroocoteine 417 Didehydroglaucine 216 Didehydroroemerine 250 5,6-Dihydroconstrictosine 42 Dihydrocoptisine 309 5,6-Dihydro-3,5-di-O-methylconstrictosine 43 Dihydroguattescine 271 Dihydroimenine 397 8,9-Dihydroisoroemerialinone 202 Dihydro1inaresine 322 Dihydromelosmine 387 1,2-Dihydro-6,7-methylenedioxy-l-oxoisoquinoline 333 3,4-Dihydro-l-methyl-5,6,7-trimethoxyisoquinoline 392 3,4-Dihydronigellimine 164 8,14-Dihydronorsa1utaridine 110 Dihydronudaurine 155 Dihydroorientalinone 135 11,12-Dihydroorientalinone 135 ~-Dihydropallidine 124 Dihydropalmatine 209 Dihydroparfumi dine 165 Dihydrorugosinone 322 8,14-Dihydrosa1utaridine 119 Dihydrosecoquettamine 357 4,6-Dihydroxy-3-methoxymorphinandien-7-one 49 4,6-Dihydroxy-2-methyltetrahydroisoquinoline 41 3,9-Dihydroxynornuciferine 376 5,6-Dimethoxy-2,2-dimethyl-l-(4-hydroxybenzy1)-I,2,3,4-THIQ quat 46 6,8-Dimethoxy-l,3-dimethylisoquinoline 348 6,7-Dimethoxy-N,N-dimethyl-l-(2-methoxy-4-hydroxybenzy1)-THIQ 188 Trivial Name Index 1,2-Dirnethoxy-ll-hydroxyaporphine 1,2-Dirnethoxy-3-hydroxynora porp hine 1,2-Dirnethoxy-3-hydroxy-5-oxonora porphine 2,9-Dimethoxy-3- hydroxypa vinane 6,7-Dirnethoxy-l-(6',7 -methy 1enedioxyisobenzofurano1, 3'-y 1)- 2,2-dimethy1-1,2,3,4- THIQ 6,7-Dimethoxy-l-(3,4-meth y1enedioxypheny 1)-2-methy 1-DHIQ 6,7-Dimethoxy-l-(3,4-methy 1enedioxypheny 1)-2-methy 1-IQ 6,7-Dirnethoxy-l-( 4-methoxybenzy l)-IQ 6,8-Dirnethoxy-l-methyl-3- hydroxymethy lisoquinol

these are simply all the ones he deemed worth including and were only to D. thers 3x this list in his book.

Last edited:
except from Ths simple plant isoquinolines(Shulgin, Alexander)- The passion of my life over the last forty years has been a compelling interest in psychedelic drugs. They have given me not only an exciting area of research and discovery, but also a personal understanding of just who I am and why I am. Certainly these guides and sacraments will eventually play an accepted role in our community and in our culture. Almost all of these drugs have either been isolated from psychoactive plants, or are the results of subtle variations of the molecular structures of these isolates. I have always looked at these plants and the compounds they contain in the same way that the Romans dreamt of their ultimate empire. It was Caesar who acknowledged that all of Gaul was divided into three parts and to understand it, to conquer it, each part had to be respected as a separate entity. It is exactly the same way with understanding the world of psychedelic drugs. There are three domains of inquiry that must be studied independently before one can begin to appreciate just how they might integrate into a single concept. These three are now, I believe, coming together. One part is the large collection of psychoactive compounds known as the phenethylamines. The first known plant psychedelic was mescaline, or 3,4,5-trimethoxyphenethylamine. This simple one-ring alkaloid was discovered in the North American dumpling cactus Peyote (Anhalonium toilliamsii) in the late nineteenth century, and is now known to be a component of over fifty other cacti. Over a dozen other cactus phenethylamines have been isolated and identified, and there are perhaps a hundred synthetic analogues that are now also known to be psychedelic in action. This body of information has been published by my wife Ann and me as a book entitled "PIHKAL: A Chemical Love Story." PIHKAL stands for Phenethylamines I Have Known and Loved. An almost-as-large chemical group contains the tryptamines. N,NDimethyltryptamine (DMT), its 5-hydroxy analogue (bufotenine) and the O-methyl ether homologue 5-methoxy-N,N-dimethyltryptamine (5- MeO-DMT) are widely distributed in the world of natural plants. There are also the well-established mushroom alkaloids 4-phosphoryloxy-N,N- vii dimethyltryptamine (psilocybin, and the dephosphorylated indolol psilocin)and the mono- and didemethylated homologues baeocysteine and norbaeocysteine. These seven natural alkaloids have provided the template for perhaps two dozen analogue structures that are now well-established psychedelic agents. Ann and I have written a companion volume to PIHKAL called "TIHKAL: The Continuation" (TIHKAL stands for Tryptamines I have Known and Loved), which has brought together most of these natural and synthetic tryptamines into a single reference site. The remaining third of the above Gallic synthesis deals with what I had originally called the "Q" compounds, as distinguished from the "P" compounds and the "T" compounds (the phenethylamines and the tryptamines). The actual parent structural element is the isoquinoline ring system,and my initial plan was to give this third book a name similar to the first two. IIHKAL wouldn't do it, but QIHKAL shows a good bit of class, at least in my opinion. Or maybe THIQIHKAL because most of them are really tetrahydroisoquinolines. Well, all these names are now on hold, as Ann is uncomfortable with them. No name has yet been decided upon, but ideas such as The Third Book, or Book Three, are under consideration. Names like these resound with a rather striking arrogance, if nothing else. To understand the relationship of the isoquinolines to the phenethylamines and the tryptamines, the concept of ring closure must be used. This is a sort of synthetic scorpion sting at the molecular level. A tryptamine has an indole ring as its centerpiece and from it there extends a floppy two-carbon chain terminated by an amino nitrogen atom. A small but very important family of plant alkaloids is the product of this amine exploiting a carbon atom from somewhere, and making a new six-membered ringby that "sting" reaction back onto the parent indole ring. This family has the name,~-carbolines, and the formed compound is 1,2,3,4-tetrahydro- [3-carboline. QCNH N I H tryptamine 1,2,3,4-tetrahydro-~-carboline.
A phenethylamine has a benzene ring as its centerpiece and it, too, has a floppy two-carbon chain extending out from it and also terminating in an amino group. In a reaction that is exactly analogous to that of the tryptamines,this amine can pick up a carbon atom and bend back to react viii with the parent benzene ring forming a six-member ring. This is the origin of the isoquinoline family of natural products, and the formed compound is l,2,3,4-tetrahydroisoquinoline. phenethylamine 1,2,3,4-tetrahydroisoquinoline
As mentioned above, this third part of the plant psychedelic alkaloid world involves tetrahydroisoquinolines and is the substance of our third book. A very reasonable appendix to be written for this book would be a search of the chemical literature for the known isoquinolines that might be of interest as pharmacological agents. There are certainly many plant products, as well as a monster inventory of synthetics, some of which are made based on plant examples, but many others are simply laboratory creations of the imaginative chemist. It was soon apparent that this compilation would become unmanageably large. The first major trimming was the elimination of the compounds that were synthetic, and the limitation of the listing to those compounds that have been reported as plant products. These isoquinolines could play the dual role of serving not only as potential contributors to the action of psychoactive plants but also as prototypes for the synthesis of new materials that might themselves be biologically active. But even this restriction to only plant compounds was not sufficiently severe. There seemed to be no end to existing isoquinoline treasures. As I wandered deeper into the literature, I kept finding an ever-increasing inventory of research papers that described fantastic stuff. As a totally make-believe example, pretend that there was a compound named Dogabinine that has only been found in the Dogabic tree in the Twathtu rainforest, which the natives say cures leprosy, and which has a complex chemical structure that just happens to carry an isoquinoline ring in its lower southwest corner. To include all such monsters would make the appendix many thousands or even tens of thousands of pages long. And if you were to add into this compilation all the known derivatives, extensions and chemical modifications of Dogabinine, then you would have a review entity that would be several volumes in length. Ifsuch a collection were to exist, I would have it in my library right now. Butit does not exist and it may never exist. IX Some middle ground, some rational compromise, had to be found. I wanted this collection to present all isoquinolines that are known to be plant alkaloids, but respecting carefully defined restrictions that exclude horror monsters such as Dogabinine. The final compromise was to establish separate entries for all the known two-ring isoquinolines that are from natural sources, including those that carry a third ring as a substituent (suchas a benzyl group) at the I-position. And within each of these entries,there are included all natural alkaloids that can be seen as products ofa hypothetical attack of an ortho hydrogen of this substituent on some other position of the isoquinoline nucleus. This "ortho-X attack" is exactly defined and illustrated in the Foreword tha t follows. All plant sources are recorded (or representative sources if there are too many) and literature citations are also included in each entry. But even with these restrictions, this "appendix" to a third book was becoming larger and larger, and it soon became apparent that it was totally inappropriate. There would be far too many pages for a minor appendix in a book that is to be dedicated to cactus and isoquinolines. And by the time my stream-of-consciousness commentary was added in the textwhere I felt it should be added, the mass increased to the extent that it had to be a reference book in its own right. Voila.Let's try to get all that information together into a single modest package and make it available to the chemists and botanists who might wantit. Should it be a review article in Chemical Reviews or the Journal of Natural Products? Several factors said "No." Most botanical review surveys are not searchable except by taxon name (that would assume that you would know the plant from which it came) or by some complex and maddening Chemical Abstracts entry that dealt with some alphabetization that demanded the knowledge of the structure and the way the structure would be listed. And most review articles also insist on a tidy forma t that is without editorial comment and does not contain volunteered ideas and extrapolations. An obvious solution became apparent. Create a single reference book to contain all this information. Use the chemical substituents as an alphabet. Visually travel around the structural image of the molecule in a logical direction, address the substituent groups in some logical way which will be called alphabetical, and progress until you find the target you are searching for, or until you find an empty hole where it would have been had it been known. So this book has come into existence simply to meet this need, and to relieve the potential "Third Book" readership of a killer of an appendix. the substituents and, especially, the connection between simple benzylated isoquinolines and the nature of the cyclized products of ortho attacks, are the heart and substance of this review book.

Last edited:
It seems like this one is so expensive because they only did one run of hardbacks and it was never re-printed. Maybe we should reach out to Ann and see if it would be possible to get a second edition printed in paperback? How many of you would be willing to chip in for this? I'd love to have a copy in hardback. I plan on writing her soon I'll ask about it. With all the crowd funding websites out there now it wouldn't be hard to come up with enough people to chip in assuming she has the rights to the book.

If I find a copy that doesn't cost an arm and a leg I'll have it re-scanned for a cleaner PDF. If Ann has the rights I know of a few print shops still in business that would produce a small run of 1,000 or so for me. It doesn't cost as much as you might think.

I haven't gotten a chance to thumb through this yet because I hate reading books on a computer but from what I saw the pdf I posted is readable. Don't assume the link will work for long I think that website regularly clears files to make room for new ones. If the link dies I'll re-upload it.

Last edited: