• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

So Kratom. . .

JustADudeYep

Bluelighter
I decided that I am going to give it a shot, so I read all 18 pages of the megathread and the summary is:

Who REALLY knows if it even works, man. It might....or maybe kinda.

No idea on how to dose it, so wing it.

Every strain is the best strain according to somebody.

Don't buy from head shops. Get it from legit places...but we can't tell you where because name dropping is against the rules.

Basically it is all quite a big question mark still and nothing much was answered. Ha. I say this in a laughing sort of way. It was amusing to read. ? On a different note: I am going to try a local head shop that I've heard great things about. I talked to an employee on the phone and he knows his stuff. They only have a few kinds of strains in right now though. One thing that caught my attention is he name dropped some of the "big, legit" brands, and said they carry them. Well i dont know one brand from another when it comes to Kratom, but I do know I dont want to pay raised "name brand" prices! --- My dilaudid is about out and I am early again. Usually my MS Sulfate keeps almost all withdraws away, but I have an awesome case of pneumonia and I am getting my ass kicked from those body aches piled on top of my Crohn's pain. So fugg it. Might as well try it and hope for the best. Not expecting much because opiod tolerance is so high, but I will take any relief.

Welcome to the wonderful world of kratom. :)

Here's the most solid advice from an avid daily kratom user of years and years:

- Only buy in bulk online. This is for a multitude of reasons, the most important being that kratom legality is on the rocks, and it's HEAD SHOPS that are putting it into the public eye. If people keep buying it from the head shops, they're going to keep selling it in it's colorful, flashy packaging with words on it like "XTASY", "EUPHORIA", "SPACE", etc., and it's going to keep scaring the shit out of soccer moms and providing easy "LOOK WHATS KILLING YOUR KIDS" news stories for the media. Along side that, head shops sell over-priced, low-quality, over-promoted products, and usually only extracts. PM me and I'll give you the best vendors, but sites that have folks reviewing vendors are not hard to find.
- Don't worry THAT much about strains, it only kinda matters, much like with cannabis. Weed is weed, kratom is kratom, and strains only present small differences. Generally, Bali is the strain you want, as it's the most opiate-like, sedating and euphoric. All the others, like Maeng Da, Thai, are far more stimulating and caffeine like, but again, it's not a huge difference.
- Toss & Wash is the most effective method to ingest it. I mix mine in with orange juice, shake it well, then let it sit for a few minutes because the powder takes a while to completely saturate. Once it's been sitting for a while and has been shaken well, shake it in circles as to not cause foam (think of a chemist shaking an open-top beaker in circles), and while you have the particles suspended, pound it all right down, don't try to do it in sips. Immediately chase it with some water or a non-carbonated drink, and then take a bite of something delicious to get rid of the taste. If you can't do this, there's always size "000" (1g) capsules and a cap machine, which I have used, but it takes way longer to set in than T&W, and the effect is heavily dependent on how fast the drug gets in your system (think of an opiate rush, same concept). T&W comes in already saturated and ready to absorb, where as capsules need to be broken down, then the kratom powder saturated, then broken down, then absorbed.
- Try not to use it on a completely empty stomach as it can make you nauseus, but don't take it on top of a huge burger either. Generally when I use it, I down it, and then eat an english muffin.
- As with any opioid, practice moderation, however kratom will be the most forgiving of them all.
- Don't pay attention to "Brand Names" As a matter of fact, I'd steer clear of anything that tries too hard to brand their kratom. A vendor name is one thing, calling your kratom "Ultra Mega 3u9h0r1a Gold" or stupid shit like that is another.
- Do not waste your money on extracts. Ever. Do not listen to a word anyone ever tells you if they say otherwise, as they know not what they say. 5x does not mean 1g extract = 5g plain leaf, that's what they want you to believe. Most extracts don't work at all, and only the most ridiculously expensive extracts have ever actually produced an effect and it's STILL not close to the potency they claim. I wouldn't bother with pure isolates either for many of the same reasons, and in that case you might well do oxycodone because you're using a refined chemical product now, not a full-spectrum alkaloidal organic plant straight out of the ground. Not to mention the fact that it's so much easier to be compulsive with a potent chemical that take's 1 mere capsule to dose, as opposed to having to prepare and then chug this sludge. Keeps your usage in check, and as you claim to have a high opiate tolerance and are seeking relief, I can only assume this will help you in the long run.

Aside from that, have fun! It's an amazing plant with lists of benefits and few side-effects or downfalls. it can be severely psychologically addicting and moderately physically dependence forming, but again, as I said, is nothing compared to traditional opiates. Many will argue with me on that, but in my own experience, I find this to be the truth.

Good luck!!

Last edited:
Awesome! You were one of the few I was interested in as far as questions go because you've obviously done your share and I can tell you know a lot. And yes, one of the concerning things is that if it does work for, how long until it is banned? Ha. I will PM you later. I would prefer a type that is geared toward pain relief, I do believe.

personally, if someone's on the fence about trying kratom, i will *always* recommend trying it. kratom has been a miracle for me. i would be completely crippled by pain without it. it enables me to do what i need to do physically (i live a rural lifestyle, by myself). to me, this is worth every potential negative. one of the most amazing substances i've ever known after 40 years worth.

I have Crohn's and there are now many studies that show pot is extremely beneficial to Crohns patients. I wont bore with details. All of my docs are fine with me doing mmj, but I dont live in a legalized state. Pisses me off quite a bit. I'd benefit greatly.

I am so sorry you have to deal with that issue. I'm glad you're looking towards kratom, good choice!! Cannabis has an amazing synergy too, only further proving the benefit. Between a morning kratom dose, a cannabis edible, and MAYBE smoked/vaped cannabis as needed throughout the day, I can't see what else you'd need mentally or physically. I use kratom for my anxiety, depression, focus, motivation, occasionally pain, and good ol' recreation, all things many people take 5-6+ daily prescriptions, alcohol, cigarettes and illegal street drugs for, many of which are dangerous, addictive, damaging, toxic, expensive, over-regulated, over-punished, impure, etc.. Before I really knew much about kratom, I went to a psychiatrist for an evaluation, and the list of abbreviations they wrote down, ADD, ADHD, GAD, SAD, ABC, DEF, GHI, JKL, XYZ...and then the prescriptions they sent me home with while telling me to stop using cannabis as it is "most likely the root of your issues" even though I explained all the symptoms I've tolerated since childhood and I didn't start using cannabis until I was 23.....I am SO GLAD I crumpled up that script paper and tossed it in the trash on my way out of the office (making sure they saw me do it) and soon thereafter found kratom which has helped me with every single one of those silly "diagnoses".

Well but here is my deal: While I obviously could still smoke pot in a non-legal state, there are certain strains that help most with Crohn's disease. I just dont want some dealer getting whatever he can from week to week and not have a clue about the strain or the potentcy etc. I would need the regulated stuff....or very much prefer it. I just can't deal with crazy potentcy changes and all that since illegal states obviously dont monitor that stuff. Too big of a risk for me.

Well but here is my deal: While I obviously could still smoke pot in a non-legal state, there are certain strains that help most with Crohn's disease. I just dont want some dealer getting whatever he can from week to week and not have a clue about the strain or the potentcy etc. I would need the regulated stuff....or very much prefer it. I just can't deal with crazy potentcy changes and all that since illegal states obviously dont monitor that stuff. Too big of a risk for me.

I hear ya there. It's legal here in WA, but still not exactly regulated, and I buy from the "street" anyway. My supplier has consistent strains from the same source all the time, and is fairly informed as to what each features, and offers a huge variety as well as samples, delivered to your doorstep or office within the hour, service with a smile. He lets you find exactly what you need, then makes sure he can consistently get it for you. This has nothing to do with the legality in my state because it was like this before then. WA weed was always the best and most plentiful, hands down. :)

Didn't take me very long to find such a person, and my dealers before him were similar in service.

kratom was the worst waste of money ive ever purchased...... besides hookers...but it sucked... did nothing....

To update: I didnt get kratom yesterday as I desired to do. Instead, I spent hours on research. I called many local head shops. I watched youtube vids of well versed kratom users. I read up on brands, what websites are really good...and on and on. And then truth be told, my brother's friend was supposed to get me some weed, so I figured "screw kratom for now!" But once again my gut instinct was right and the kid backed out. I was NOT happy! I'm not a weed smoker but I have 4 different medial issues going on right now and my body is hurting SO BAD. I did find that there is a head shop like 2 blocks away from me! Ha. Weird. They said they had bali and maeng da. I got the imperession they arent the brightest or best, but theh are super close. I plan on starting with this shop and go from there as I experience more.

Btw, info is still appreciated! ☺

Bali will be more opiate like, the maeng da I had was pretty speedy.

Kratom and weed are awesome together.

Hi OP,
I have severe crohn's as well and it's a real bitch.
Honestly, save the kratom and just use lope until you can get your dilly refill. It's cheap, readily available, works 12+ hours without redosing, and beats kratom any day.

Can anyone tell me if this vendor is telling the truth? he said green Thai Kratom can be sickly, and the Red vein stuff is more pleasant and harsh.

Can anyone tell me if this vendor is telling the truth? he said green Thai Kratom can be sickly, and the Red vein stuff is more pleasant and harsh.

No idea what you mean by that. "Sickly"? "Pleasant AND harsh"? I would ignore whoever is spewing this.

Whoever recommended loperamide, I don't see how that will help his pain. Lope may keep the withdrawals at bay, but I don't think that's all he's trying to do. I would say take both if the kratom isn't working well enough.

That second post is absolutely stellar advice. I agree with all of it.

I find strains can differ a lot between vendors. While most "red vein Borneo" knocks me out, some keep me up. You just have to keep trying stuff and maybe keep notes on what's working.

Don't do capsules. They just don't work well at all.

i have a friend who is a former oxycontin addict, she wants to try kratom..i told her probably not the best idea but ive heard kratom is very weak compared to other opiods..is Kratom a no go for former opiate addicts..she doesnt have pain, just looking for something euphoric and relaxing and she is sick of weed..

I'm off weed while looking for work and kratom is a workable replacement. But if you tend toward addiction, probably best to avoid. I've heard from several people that previous opioid abuse can make kratom too weak, as well. But the withdrawal is supposedly a lot easier to handle, and good luck ODing on this shit. That's a lot of fucking powder.

The only form of Kratom that actually "Kinda works" is the extracts.. But good luck finding them as I haven't seen a good tincture extract in years for sale... The powderized kratom is all bullshit and so is the kratom at head shops.. Head shops sell you like a few grams of powder kratom in capsules for ridiculous high prices when you can order an ounce of powder kratom off the internet for between $10 - $20.. but if you go with the powder kratom its pretty much useless, you will get a stomach ache before you get any "high" from it.. So go and try and find a good extract tincture - that is the only way to get anything out of kratom but be prepared to pay out the ass for just once dose..

^ obviously you haven't had good powdered leaves yet, or do you have opioid tolerance?

I never had stomachache from Kratom powder, and with good quality, I only need a teaspoon of material to get a good buzz going...

My favourite strain is Borneo Red btw, very relaxed and dreamy.