• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

So does this mean I need to stop taking 5-HTP?

Zapgunn

Bluelighter
This is my 4th day taking 5-HTP. It has actually been helping with my depression and giving me a lot more energy during the day, but it has also been causing really bad insomnia at night. The past few nights I’ve felt really restless, had racing thoughts, and only gotten a few hours of sleep.

Is this just a temporary symptom that will get better in time? I’ve taken some anti-depressants in the past that gave me insomnia for a couple nights, but then got better. Does my brain just need to adjust to taking 5-htp, or do I just need to stop taking it? I really like the anti-depressant effect, but can not deal with this insomnia much longer… Ive just been taking it in the morning the past few days, but I still can’t seem to sleep. Is this normal?

Help!

no. stop taking it man. 5htp interacts with every antidepressant. every antidepressant that involves serotonin that is, which is most of them

I’m not currently taking any anti-depressants. I’m just wondering if the insomnia will work itself out or not...

You can't be sure if the insomnia is directly related to the 5-HTP. Maybe give it a few more days and see if it works itself out.

Are there external stressors in your life causing you problems? Could be as simple as that.

There is a certain kind of serotonin called 5HT2A that is very excitable and can cause insomnia if stimulated with serotonin, usually anti depressants stimulate 5HT2A and cause insomnia at first until the 5HT2A gets desensitized, it might take a little while for your 5HT2A to get desensitized with 5HTP just like anti depressants.

I don't think 5HTP is something you want to take for years though, you might want to think about Citalopram instead.