So Broken. Need Help Understanding...

S

SobRecNYC

Hi Everyone. Not so long ago, I found out my boyfriend was an addict -- he went from Oxycodone to IV heroin. Since, I have read and researched addiction and, in the process, discovered this site. I found it to be very helpful and the members to be very candid and honest and so I am reaching out to get some understanding of a very difficult time for me.

My now ex-boyfriend has been "sober" and on Suboxone for nearly six months now. He relapsed and lied about it to me three times before this time. He seems to be doing well -- working out, going to school, etc.; though he is very moody and mean...far from the empathic, sensitive man I once knew. I was concerned that he started smoking weed, drinking a bit and got a prescription for Klonipin since starting this recovery process -- not my definition of sober, but...

I have struggled with being second to his recovery, but feel I have been pretty amazing and supportive about it overall. Occasionally, I would ask him if he could consider me a bit more...even just see each other a few minutes a week (he lives half a block away). He would get so angry and tell me he couldn't handle that pressure in recovery, especially while tapering off of Suboxone (he started at 24mg and is now down to 1.0mg). The more I cried, the more angry he got -- again, not the man I met (he tells me its due to the Suboxone taper).

Well, he finally told me he wanted a break, which after a discussion, became more of a breakup. I was so sad and hurt and he seemed unaffected. He was ALWAYS begging me to make it work and now I feel blindsided...he is giving up so easily and says he can't worry about me while trying to get better. Sad as it is to admit, I don't even demand much from him, which is why I find it hard to reconcile his reasoning. We haven't had any form of physical intimacy in over a year and a half, we see each other on average for an hour or two every two weeks -- I accepted this shell of a relationship so he could get better and self-focus because I wanted nothing more than for him to be better and also knew we couldn't be healthy if he didn't get healthy.

When we had our break-up talk, he admitted to me he had relapsed on heroin one month into recovery and also got beyond drunk and did cocaine a few weeks ago. This is so odd, because drinking, weed and cocaine were never things he had a remote interest in throughout our relationship. It made me so upset on many levels, but mostly because the only thing I asked from him when he begged me to give him another chance was to be honest with me about any relapses. I felt he told me now because it was over and he had nothing to lose. He swears that's it, but seemed uneasy when I asked if there was anything else he wanted to tell me. It is probably naive, but I believe him. I can't imagine he can function as highly as he does (training 25 hours a week for an MMA fight), going to school full-time and take Suboxone and be using heroin...is that possible? On the other hand, every time I suspected he was about to relapse or had relapsed, I was right...

I am so sad. I can't even function and feel like it just doesn't make sense. I know everyone is going to tell me not to try to understand it and to take care of myself. The thing is, how does someone go from fighting tooth and nail to save a relationship just a month ago to this? Also, when we run into each other on the street, he greets me like a boyfriend -- affectionately with kisses and hugs and won't "let" me just say "hi" and leave. He tells me he loves me and would rather us not see other people for now, but also knows that isn't fair to expect from me. He just keeps saying he can't worry about me while he is trying to get better. My gut tells me that he just wants to keep me at arms length so that he doesn't have to "answer" to me if he has relapsed or does relapse. Is this far-fetched? Also, can someone really be so highly functional and working out so hard (boxing, jiu-jitsu, cross-fit and MMA training 5 days per week) if they are on heroin? Can they even get high on heroin when taking Suboxone at a low dose? Is the Suboxone playing any part? I just feel like if he hasn't relapsed already, he is "circling" -- the cocaine, the drinking, the weed...and then the lying about it...it just doesn't scream "recovery" to me.

I am just hurt and confused and would love to hear from those who have been through this and also addicts who have insight on how they felt about loved ones when they were recovering or relapsing. Thank you all for listening.

Hey,

I'm going to move your thread.

Homeless -> The Dark Side

Subs do change people that is a fact as far as I'm concerned. It numbs normal emotions and it did cause me some mood swings which I felt compelled to self medicate with coincidently k/pins and weed also.

Yes, it's possible to work out very hard and take all those things even if it's not typical junkie behavior. I pretty much have no concentration for working out without weed at this point but since I'm off the subs I figure it's for the best.

Best further advice I can give is to really examine this relationship and whether or not it's one worth saving. You sound incredibly supportive and anyone who's been through detox alone knows how much it can help to have a SO supporting you. It sounds like you might be aprehensive about moving on but you will find someone else, with probably less baggage. Unless this is someone you can really see yourself eventually marrying it's just not worth the likely continued heartache.

This sounds more like an SLR thread.. I dunno..Kinda sounds like bullshit to me, sounds like the classic actions of someone who's found someone else. that's normally what it is. Myself, and most people I know - would be thankful and grateful for the proximity of someone who cares when going through this.

Also. and this is really harsh. just get away. Best case scenario if you stick with him is that this will be the rest of your life; a constant cycle of addiction, lies and bullshit drama. Worst case is you'll succumb and start using yourself (don't think it can't happen) and then your life is just as fucked.

If you want to get him off, you have tk motivate him.
To a point, the only thing that really matters is heroin.
And you have to come off that slowly.

Unfortunatly you dont know this guy. You only know the opiate bliss guy you met. Im on a sub taper/ withdrawal wutever you wanna call it and when im in this process im a raging psycho who feels like i can take anyone in a fight if need be type rage.

When im feeling good though on drugs im the nicest guy ever to coworkers family whoever.

Hes got a long long battle ahead

Subs can change a person.i never did them for a long period but when i did do them i would freak out about any little thing..god help people that were in traffic with me or butt in line at a store.but at least he has a good outlet in MMA for his anger.if u love him the best thing to do is stay away for now..the more u try and push into an addicts reasons and relapses the less likely he is going to want u around when he gets sober because he will feel like u are always watching over his actions and u dont trust him.if its meant to be he will come back to u thats a sure thing.u are about as likely to understand an addicts mind if u are not an addict as much as a man knows about giving birth.

Not only do people change, but drugs can change people.

I doubt he was being insincere about telling you that he couldn't worry about you/relationship and become sober at the same time. What he is doing is huge for himself, where as your relationship might not last forever his addiction will. I did this once and it only led to a relapse after 6 months or so due to pressure.

I was on suboxone for 7 years, it changed me at least 4-5 different times in different ways.

Take it slow and see where it goes, I lied allot about my use and it destroyed a few relationships until my only love was a pill.

Hi Everyone -- thanks for responding. I can't tell you how helpful feedback on forums like this have been. I am also in therapy and attending Nar-Anon meetings to help me navigate this.

I am trying to move forward, but I am hurt, confused and worried. My ex-boyfriend texted me four days after ending things -- just a simple text about some stuff that happened to him at the boxing gym. I didn't respond. He texted again an hour later. It's been two days and I still haven't responded. I don't think I will until I feel like I can follow through with boundaries with him.

The more I obsess (unfortunately, I do a lot of this), the more I feel confident he is using again. His behavior since "recovery" and the abrupt breakup is exacly what happened last time -- he made up some weird excuse to end things and a few days later I found out he was a full-blown heroin addict. The weed, alcohol, suboxone, benzos, muscle relaxants, cocaine, -- he NEVER had interest in most of those and now he does anything that's in front of him and just seems to think he's in recovery just because he's supposedly not using his DOC (heroin). Also, he is using testosterone injections for training -- I don't know what role that has in any of this, but I am wary of him being around needles again. I know complete abstinence is debatable for some, but he hasn't been sober for even a day since going into recovery. I can be second to recovery, but now I realize he had been putting me second to addiction.

I worry that he will OD. I am the only sober (never even had a drink in my life) person in his life who knows about his addiction. His "friends" are either users or former users -- the high functioning type that work out at the gym and share pain pills, cocaine and/or are "recovering" addicts. His family doesn't know and my family is telling me I should tell them. Should I? Here's the issue. He is a disabled Veteran who receives so many benefits, he doesn't have to work and his housing is paid for. He has never had to worry about losing a job or a home due to his drug use (which would also be "red flags" that something was going on to those around him). He has never had to steal or hustle to support his habit. His family, while not wealthy, give him monetary gifts for holidays -- for example, his grandmother just gave him $20,000 at Christmas (guess what he spent it on?). He stands to inherit a sizable amount of money from his grandmother, uncle and parents and is banking on it. His family has no clue that he is an addict. They only see him once a month when they come to down for dinner. He does not look like the typical user, even when he was shooting 2 1/2 bundles a day. Also, he used to bail out of dinner with his family and say it was due to symptoms from a stomach or back issues he got in Iraq. While he does have those conditions, I realized later that he had been using them to avoid everyone and it was due to drugs. His family does not know this and they have no reason not to believe his injuries, etc. are what keeps him home sometimes.

So, I love him and want him to be well, but I refuse to allow myself to even consider being with someone who I feel is not truly in recovery. I gave him three chances. That being said, should his family know? I don't feel like it's my responsibility to tell them, but I also would never forgive myself if something happened to him and they didn't know about his addiction. I am close with them and they are a loving, supportive family and would have the means to get him into a top-notch program if he were willing. While it's not my responsibility, my friends and family argue that telling his family is the right, moral thing to do and it could save his life. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Dont be a rat and go tell his family. Either leave his life for good or deal with the life of an addict. Dont go snitching him out. Whats that accomplish? Hes a grown man now. Seriously. Because you want him to be something for you deserves him being ratted on? He pays his bills, he served, and once again HES A GROWN ASS MAN. If you dislike his lifestyle then just leave, not going and ruining his family relationships because your not getting your way in all of this.

If HE wants treatment hell seek it stop trying to fix him. If a girlfriend did that to me id never fucking speak to them again. Its simply not your place. If you were his babysitter and he was 12 sure go ahead. Otherwise dont.

Last edited:
nygiants1313, don't be sorry. I appreciate your candor. As I said, I don't feel it's my responsibility to tell his family...I worry that they don't know, but I didn't feel it was place to tell them, especially since we are no longer together. Some members of my family and a couple of my friends have told me it's the "moral" thing to do for anyone you care about and that's when I began to question everything and that is why I posted the question -- I am curious what people think. On one hand, I would want to know if one of my family member were in harm's way; on the other hand, I wonder if it's up to the addict to reach that level of honesty on his/her own.

to tell his family doesn't help him in any way. you can not "manipulate" or force someone into recovery. if you do that to him he will isolate and lie about himself even more. you have to understand that he doesn't lie to his family just to rip them off, he is also lying to "protect" those close to him. he is aware of his problem and he doesn't want to hurt anyone other than himself. i speak from experience. "friends" told my parents that i am on h and i cut all ties to my family when i was at my lowest. i didn't want them to see me like this...

Last edited:
If u tell his family u risk him never speaking to u again..thats a line u do not cross..i know u mean well but u cant help someone until they start helping themselves.