PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

So apparently LSD and mescaline raise serum hGH levels

AA357

Bluelighter
LOL, I just found this interesting little read:

http://www.maps.org/research-archive/w3pb/2008/2008_Passie_23067_1.pdf

In humans, LSD increases serum growth hormone with a peak at 120 min. but does not alter serum prolactin levels
Great. Like I needed another excuse to trip! 8) 8o

There are a few studies out there that show mescaline increases both serum growth hormone (good) AND prolactin (bad).

THIS study found psilocybin had "no significant effect" on either hormone and suggested that DMT increases prolactin and cortisol levels (bad).

My understanding of biochemistry is quite rudimentary and I'm tripping on 2C-E as I type this. Which brings me to my next point... I wonder what the story is with the 2C-x series?
My theory is that phenethylamines (but probably not tryptamines) have an inherent hGH-releasing quality to them. Unfortunately it seems they stimulate prolactin release as well.

LSD is a phen but it's also an ergoloid and these tend to be powerful prolactin inhibitors (if you read the MAPS study it seems LSD itself is a powerful prolactin inhibitor in male rats). Seems to me that its nature as an ergoloid counters the (likely) prolactin-elevating properties of its structure as a phenethylamine.

Can anybody explain any of this to me? Can B6 be used to take care of increased prolactin from phenethylamine psychedelics?

Last edited:
I don't think the HGH releasing factors of tryptamines or ergoloids actually play much of a role in their effects. Ostensibly stuff like GHB releases growth horomone too, but you don't see people getting chiseled after months of GHB abuse.

I also suspect the prolactin/cortisol/etc elevation effects are transient and don't persist post-trip.

I don't think the HGH releasing factors of tryptamines or ergoloids

As an aside, I think lysergamides is a more accurate term. Ergoloids -- and ergolines is what I've always seen in the literature -- is too general and I don't necessarily think that any of the non-lysergamide ergolines that occur in ergot produce psychic effects, contrary to this idea that people have that ergot is a unique delerient. St. Anthony's Fire likely describes simple lysergamide tripping concomitant with severe vasoconstriction caused by other ergolines. Is there any reason to believe that non-lysergamide ergolines produce a trip of sorts, e.g. chanoclavine and ergovaline.

As corroboration for my criticism, David Nichols used the following three categories in the following lecture from the Psychedelic Science conference: phenetylamines, tryptamines, and lysergamides.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJtdZUy1LYE

zdxwRPH.png

I don't think the HGH releasing factors of tryptamines or ergoloids actually play much of a role in their effects.

No one said it did. But it's an interesting secondary effect.

Ostensibly stuff like GHB releases growth horomone too, but you don't see people getting chiseled after months of GHB abuse.

That's a simple minded statement. I spoke to someone who used GHB back when it was popular in America in the 80s. He told me his hair and nails got thicker when he was taking it. He hadn't expected that and he obviously found it to be impressive: it might not get you ripped, but it may bolster other hormonally connected elements of the body.

As an aside, I think lysergamides is a more accurate term.

You got me there. Ergoloid is a fun word, though. A lot of ergolines do still have central activity, namely at dopamine receptors, just not at 5ht2a.

Why are people saying more HGH is bad? I wanna grow...

*knows little about biochem*

By the way the reason I ask is that I'm an athlete. I have a natural curiosity for anything related to anabolic hormones. Lately I've been spending so much time under the influence of psychedelics that I do think it's worth thinking about how and why they affect the endocrine system.

As for GHB: until I ran out, I was taking that stuff 2-3 times a week after workouts. IDK whether or not the elevation in hGH levels is enough to make a difference but what I can tell you is that it most definitely didn't affect my gains in a negative way. It also made me feel damn good and it seems to be pretty much harmless physically (unless you get stupid with the dosage).

One thing I have read is that GHB increases prolactin levels. It has been hypothesized that the resulting increase in prolactin might offset the positive effects of the elevated hGH. Basically: in men, prolactin is a relatively useless hormone that has loads of nasty side effects. You really don't want a lot of this shit in your body.

Does anybody know if Vitamin B6 is effective at supressing elevated prolactin caused by psychedelics or GHB?