• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Sniffer dog helps parents discover secret drugs - BBC

Albion

Bluelight Crew
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-16976875

In California, a new company is helping parents discover whether their children are secretly taking drugs, by bringing a trained sniffer dog into clients' homes, to search out teenagers' secrets.

This is pretty terrifying stuff.

'A new weapon in the war on drugs' - If that's how they see it, then they're warring with the wrong people.

Do they let the parents keep the drugs? If they do I'm gonna have them bring one of those dogs over asap. I'm sure my kid has some goodies stashed somewhere in her room.

In season 1 or 2 of Southland, one of the cops' wives hires out her retired drug dog to do just this, then smokes whatever she recovers. Good show, Southland.

Do they let the parents keep the drugs? If they do I'm gonna have them bring one of those dogs over asap. I'm sure my kid has some goodies stashed somewhere in her room.

I love this.

This is disgusting, I want to punch that bitch in the fucking face.

Can I hire one if I lose my drugs and need to find them?

I can imagine how many parents are going to permanently destroy their relationship with their kids

Can I hire one if I lose my drugs and need to find them?

I can imagine how many parents are going to permanently destroy their relationship with their kids

This.

Granted I never, ever, ever used ANY drug when I was younger, my mother was convinced I was using something so she would literally shake me down on my way into and out of the house. She'd smell my breath, smell my hands, look at my arms, check my pockets, tear my clothing drawers apart in my room, yeah my mom was paranoid!!!! And I never touched anything ever! Not even cigarettes!!

I agree with SplatChrome.
If you don't give your kids respect, they will not respect you.
Treating them like criminals is unlikely to lead to a stronger relationship.
Instead, spend real time with them, reading, talking, creating music or art or writing stories, building things, hiking, etc.
Start when they are little. It is too late once you find out that they smoke weed when they are 15.
Develop a deep relationship. Have an open mind.
They should not be afraid to tell you that they are using drugs.
All people get high, and this has been true in all eras of human history.
Either they use Kava Kava, or they drink alcohol, or smoke weed, or jog, or meditate - but everyone gets high.
Your job is not to judge them, but to advise them how to get high safely.
Encourage them to exercise - it gives a clean, healthy high.
Taking random "Ecstasy" pills without testing them first is dangerous, etc. etc.
Parents should be helping their kids get an education about drugs, since the government is only interested in spreading propaganda about drugs.
But siding with the government, and simply saying "drugs are bad", has never worked at a societal level, and will not work at the level of family either.

I totally agree with your post, but I find the following point to be debatable:

Guess it's not the place to hash it out here though, but I just don't feel that this is the only correct and reasonable avenue a parent can take.

I agree with SplatChrome.
If you don't give your kids respect, they will not respect you.
Treating them like criminals is unlikely to lead to a stronger relationship.
Instead, spend real time with them, reading, talking, creating music or art or writing stories, building things, hiking, etc.
Start when they are little. It is too late once you find out that they smoke weed when they are 15.
Develop a deep relationship. Have an open mind.
They should not be afraid to tell you that they are using drugs.
All people get high, and this has been true in all eras of human history.
Either they use Kava Kava, or they drink alcohol, or smoke weed, or jog, or meditate - but everyone gets high.
Taking random "Ecstasy" pills without testing them first is dangerous, etc. etc.
Parents should be helping their kids get an education about drugs, since the government is only interested in spreading propaganda about drugs.
But siding with the government, and simply saying "drugs are bad", has never worked at a societal level, and will not work at the level of family either.

^+1

I know that when my daughter grows up she'll get the straight truth. And a BL account ;)

I totally agree with your post, but I find the following point to be debatable:

Guess it's not the place to hash it out here though, but I just don't feel that this is the only correct and reasonable avenue a parent can take.

I just think that they are going to get high, no matter what you do as a parent.
So, the best course of action is to guide them toward safe highs - like exercise, or music, or maybe even weed, instead of huffing gasoline, for example.

Agreed. If the child is going to make "questionable" choices it would be silly to try and separate yourself from the kid as a parent. No kid is going to follow the line you draw in your head that would lead to what you view is the "correct path to success". They are going to have to create the path based on their choices. They will push the limits to understand the boundaries of their mind, of their body and of societies expectations, not to be a deviant unless pushed into that direction, but to make sense of world that doesn't have absolute truths.

It reminds me of I believe an article talking about the suspension of a elementary school student for ingesting some sort of drug, or disobeying some sort of standard society places upon children. We are talking about someone who is below the age of ten. Punishing a student for participating in an activity that they can hardly comprehend in the first place is idiotic. You are building future "criminals". Setting children up with negative expectations of themselves, and negatives expectations of the children from the perception of the adults, that will carry on as they get older and put into new life situations (new places to make positive choices). When a child makes a mistake the child needs to understand first why the choice was a mistake, they need to understand how the alternative can reap better rewards, and be praised for analyzing why the actions they took may have been the wrong one. If the child is seen to be making progress by learning from their mistakes, there shouldn't be any negative perception towards the child as he is taking one step closer to becoming an analytical and conscientious human being. Branding them as a deviant creates a distance between those who the child looks towards to emulate and learn from. They lose trust in themselves to make the right choices, and lose trust in the parents/mentors to help them out of mistakes they have made. They become apathetic of the world around them, and the choices they make will make, because no matter what decision they choose there isn't multiple option, just one action whose consequences are meaningless.

If the parent creates a bond of trust and support, even when the topic maybe out side the perfect and pretty line, the choices the child makes aren't based on nothing, they aren't based on apathy or hate. They are based analyzing whats ahead of them to create the best path that they feel is the right way to go. If that means exploring drugs, giving them all the knowledge to analyze every aspect involving the decision to consume the drug, the out come is likely going to be in a better direction than if left to apathetic mind. One where there is only one choice, not multiple. The child can choose to pick a proper set and setting, they can choose to buy a test kit, they can choose to take a safe dose. With out the right information, which the child isn't always going to find themselves, the safest path may not be chosen.

Not going to go into a big rant but yeah this is a disgusting breach of trust and if my parents had tried it on me when I was younger, I'd instantly lose my respect for them.

Not to mention that any parent who feels the need to do this is a pretty fucking awful parent.

In season 1 or 2 of Southland, one of the cops' wives hires out her retired drug dog to do just this, then smokes whatever she recovers. Good show, Southland.

I love this.

It's Season 1 episode 4 that she does that with their dog and finds the weed and in Season 1, Episode 05 she smokes some of it and gets busted by her husband in the bathroom. Cool show for sure.

And yeah funny comment about his daughter. lol.

Last edited:
slimvictor said:

Debatable? You took it completely out of context; the very next line:

Encouraging children to get high off exercise instead of drugs is a bad thing? Epic fail