• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Smoking the leaves of Marijuana

If you're growing and have lots around, make a big batch of butter with them. No sense in wasting THC, but I think they're kinda nasty and harsh to smoke.

Listen to what all these clever people are saying - the leaves taste gross and don't get you that high. Don't waste 'em... cook em!

yep but u need alot. but it tastes like ass and is more harsh . waste of tym really, jus make up sum butter :) or oils if u got enuf

I'm not so very experienced ( only had four to five grows ), but from my personal experience i can tell you one thing.. The leaves definitely get you high.... a joint of just leaves can give you a reasonable high... using a bong would give u better results.. donno why, but smoking them with a pipe didn't give even a reasonable high... it can be a lil hard on the throat.. but its just the same harshness u get on smoking a cigarette...

I know this is a very old thread, but the reason why i am responding to it is so that in-case someone ever lands on this page searching for an answer to a similar question, they'll get the answer.

I've done this before. Not with the big fan leaves, but with the little ones that get manicured off the buds. They were coated with crystals. Harsh as all hell but it'll do the job.

You can water cure them to help reduce the harshness. Just put them in a cup of water overnight and dry thoroughly.

Last edited:
Boil the leaves in milk or soy milk.
I can't imagine how bad "tea" with butter would taste.
Milk is quite nicely flavoured by cannabis, and the lipids mean you don't have to add butter (but you can increase the fat content with, say, cream).
Tastes good, comes on much faster than most "edibles" IME.

Buds are actually nothing more than tiny, modified leaves with flowers growing between them. That said, cannabinoids can form on virtually any surface of the plant. Some strains are so potent that the buds run out of places for more keif to form, so it starts forming on the surfaces of the leaves. You know a bush is the real good shit when the leaves are frosted over. These are the kind of leaves you can smoke. If your leaves ain't covered in keif though, don't bother!
I usually use the leaves as a substitute for blunt wraps. The practice is actually quite common apparently, and the finished product is known as a magar

I also used to like using a little bit of really dry leaf in a joint. Not enough to really taste it.
It is pretty common for people to mix cannabis with tobacco where I live - some folks say it burns better.
A bit of leaf is a far superior 'mix' with some good bud IMO - both for taste and effects (l don't smoke or particularly enjoy, tobacco) plus it does not cause the same sort of health problems or addictive potential that adding tobacco to weed can create.

Oooh, never considered boiling the leaves in milk. Sounds like a great thing to sip on at breakfast.

Making wraps out of them sounds tasty too. Excellent ideas.

^ weed milk is delicious.
I can't recommend it enough; add a little hot chocolate or sweeten to taste...the perfect bedtime warm drink IMO ("breakfast of champions" also!)
Also works well with vaped bud. Recycling is where it's at :)

Smoking fan leaves (the big ones) is not really going to get you high, unless you smoke a lot (and that'd be gross). If it's just leaves/trim you're better off cooking with it, your lungs will thank you and you'll get the most out of it.

But if what he has is kief (kiff) than it's actually really good. Kief is just the loose pollen (the part that you want, the "crystals" the coat the buds).