• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Cocaine Smoking on tin foil?

Yeah I have a question. Say we have some cocaine and want to preserve it. Which degrades faster powder or rock ?
Both should be stable, as long as you keep them away from humidity.
Powder (cocaine hcl) is hygroscopic and way more hydrosoluble, so it should be less stable than the freebase form. Too much water will eventually break the ester bond to produce ecgonine.

All crack is freebase but not all freebase is crack . Did I understand right
Are you trying to do my head in or what? :ROFLMAO: I had to think about this one for a moment.

(note: I'm intentionally not using the term ‘crack’ here b/c I tend to think of it as cocaine cut with the same sodium bicarbonate used to free it from the HCl molecule to begin with). Do note: the product loss here can be astonishing as the majority of cocaine outside of South America is heavily cut. In my experience a yield of ~50% is not uncommon,
The above another way of putting it (pulled from another, unrelated, thread but posted by a resident chemist and one with experience in many spheres to boot).

In my own layman's terms: Crack is adulterated freebase (whether it be adulterated with baking soda and/or anything else).

Dunno how else to explain it.

I suppose I could add that I've seen residue in pipes, from Crack, that you simply don't get from freebase that's been precipitated out using the chemical method described. And I mean really really really bad and horrible shit. Even without my dubious background: that'd be proof positive for me that there's a difference were I a layman.

As to why anybody would want to smoke Crack off of foil is beyond me. But each to their own. Bearing in mind what I said in my earlier post though i.e. if it's your thing then know that (proper) freebase melts clear i.e. not some milky or colored shit. If you're going to use foil and you see other shit forming a residue on said foil: that stuff is adulterant (and which you are also inhaling in all probability).

In my own layman's terms: Crack is adulterated freebase (whether it be adulterated with baking soda and/or anything else).

Dunno how else to explain it.
You don’t need to for my sake. We’re on the same page it sound like.
I suppose I could add that I've seen residue in pipes, from Crack, that you simply don't get from freebase that's been precipitated out using the chemical method described. And I mean really really really bad and horrible shit. Even without my dubious background: that'd be proof positive for me that there's a difference were I a layman.
Idk to what degree that was directed at me or if you were simply contributing to the conversation jumping off what I said, but as far as I’m concerned personally, you’re preaching to the proverbial choir here. We’re both saying the same thing: crack is adulterated freebase. Though from a technical perspective, it doesn’t have to be and depending on who’s making it (dealer or non-dealer is the major delineation), it can be synonymous with freebase… in other words, all freebase can count as crack (and will count as crack in court, replete with harsher sentencing than a salt-form of cocaine), but not all crack should count as freebase due to impurity content.

As to why anybody would want to smoke Crack off of foil is beyond me.
Apathy, ignorance, laziness, the ubiquity of aluminum foil, and the efficacy of this method. I mean, it does work. And I’m not sure many ppl know about the correlation between aluminum and early onset Alzheimer’s, though correlation does not prove causation. If one avoids excessive heat, this potential risk is probably minimized.

But each to their own. Bearing in mind what I said in my earlier post though i.e. if it's your thing then know that (proper) freebase melts clear i.e. not some milky or colored shit. If you're going to use foil and you see other shit forming a residue on said foil: that stuff is adulterant (and which you are also inhaling in all probability).
If there’s residue left behind you may or may not be inhaling it. Also possible is that the heat is causing pyrolysis to occur with some compound(s) and creating carcinogens like BaP and/or its cancer-causing/toxic analogs. Procuring uncut cocaine is a real challenge though for the vast majority of cocaine users. Eh. Que sera, sera.

You don’t need to for my sake. We’re on the same page it sound like.

Idk to what degree that was directed at me or if you were simply contributing to the conversation jumping off what I said, but as far as I’m concerned personally, you’re preaching to the proverbial choir here. We’re both saying the same thing: crack is adulterated freebase. Though from a technical perspective, it doesn’t have to be and depending on who’s making it (dealer or non-dealer is the major delineation), it can be synonymous with freebase… in other words, all freebase can count as crack (and will count as crack in court, replete with harsher sentencing than a salt-form of cocaine), but not all crack should count as freebase due to impurity content.

Apathy, ignorance, laziness, the ubiquity of aluminum foil, and the efficacy of this method. I mean, it does work. And I’m not sure many ppl know about the correlation between aluminum and early onset Alzheimer’s, though correlation does not prove causation. If one avoids excessive heat, this potential risk is probably minimized.

If there’s residue left behind you may or may not be inhaling it. Also possible is that the heat is causing pyrolysis to occur with some compound(s) and creating carcinogens like BaP and/or its cancer-causing/toxic analogs. Procuring uncut cocaine is a real challenge though for the vast majority of cocaine users. Eh. Que sera, sera.
Hello.

Nope. Nothing directed at you at all. We are indeed on the same page. And possibly more than one (I read your posts with keen interest as and when they appear! 🤣 ). I was just referencing you and an excerpt from your post on the other thread in order to better explain what it is that I was trying to explain on this thread to the philistines. 🤣

Last edited:
You dudes (some of you) are gong to make me old(er) before my time! 🤣

Alright. Let's put this one to bed (from my side anyway).

I'm no qualified chemist. So I concede that maybe, possibly, the end rock or crystals (method dependent) formed are the same substance.

And I think @unodelacosa has summed it up nicely above and as quoted below. And this person is either a chemist and/or knows his/her oats from a chemistry perspective (and not just when it comes to Cocaine from what I gather).

Though from a technical perspective, it doesn’t have to be and depending on who’s making it (dealer or non-dealer is the major delineation), it can be synonymous with freebase… in other words, all freebase can count as crack (and will count as crack in court, replete with harsher sentencing than a salt-form of cocaine), but not all crack should count as freebase due to impurity content.

Did I get decent Crack rocks in the day (late '80's thru most of the '90's)? Certainly. Definitely. With those Crack rocks: same effect? Yes. Bellringers were the norm not the exception. And these Crack rocks where pretty white in color and, ironically, also used to melt clear on the gauze. And they were hard and brittle. And you could hit them time after time without feeling like shit. And the only residue formed in the pipe was dry and powdery and you could scrape the pipe and hit the stuff and same effect.

Fast forward to the time where this changed. Crack rocks became darker in color, more powdery, and most certainly didn't have the punch of the above no matter how many hits you had. When melted they'd melt as a milky substance on the gauze and sometimes even a brown substance and that stank to high heaven sometimes. And there was usually little to no residue left in the pipe and most times if there was it was a horrible, oily, black substance. And scraping the pipe wasn't possible i.e. only way to be greedy and try get another hit was to push the gauze up and down the pipe to catch this shit. And more often than not it'd make you cough and splutter and also had the propensity to ignite. And even if you got a mild rush: it didn't last long, certainly wasn't smooth, and resulted in jitters, paranoia, and generally it was just shit. And oddly enough: while this was all going on the HCL being delivered was also off color, smelly, burned the shit out of your nostrils, little to no anesthesia, no drip, just, again, plain shit. And it was at this time and for these reasons I started a) cooking with baking soda myself (and ended up with the same crappy results) and b) going the chemical route.

Chemical route: back to the good (and even better) stuff and effects. But the loss was horrific. By that stage I was lucky to be getting 200mg of freebase from 1g of HCL. And that is no shit. So the problem is obvious i.e. false economy (to say the least). Not to mention the patience and restraint required in order to wait for the shit to dry proper (I didn't use lamps i.e. just let the shit dry by itself on a glass plate and sometimes that took a LONG time especially during Winter or when it was raining).

So that's my story (albeit only from an experience and anecdotal perspective).

So is there a difference between Crack and freebase? Technically and chemically maybe not. But in practice and with shoddy and unscrupulous cooks and crooks and crap HCL to start with: yes there is.

And one fine day I will do this test on HCL that I KNOW to be unadulterated and, in theory anyway, the loss (by weight) should be no more than 10% max. going the chemical route. :) If for no other reason than to prove a point of course!

I leave you with a gift of sorts i.e. David Lee's Cocaine Handbook which, I'm told, is getting harder and harder to come by nowadays. While it may be dated: it's a good read and served me well back in the day. And if you take things back to basics: it's as relevant today as it was back then (in spite of some new twists along the way since then) (but some of those covered in my threads on the the topic). Sorry for the scan and layout i.e. this not my scan or copy or upload (my original went missing years ago) (I think I tossed it when I gave this all up as a bad job). Some may perceive it as a harm reduction resource. Others may perceive it as an instruction manual. Take from it what you will! 🤣

Last edited:

I'm no qualified chemist. So I concede that maybe, possibly, the end rock or crystals (method dependent) formed are the same substance.

And I think @unodelacosa has summed it up nicely above and as quoted below. And this person is either a chemist and/or knows his/her oats from a chemistry perspective (and not just when it comes to Cocaine from what I gather).

Did I get decent Crack rocks in the day (late '80's thru most of the '90's)? Certainly. Definitely. With those Crack rocks: same effect? Yes. Bellringers were the norm not the exception. And these Crack rocks where pretty white in color and, ironically, also used to melt clear on the gauze. And they were hard and brittle. And you could hit them time after time without feeling like shit. And the only residue formed in the pipe was dry and powdery and you could scrape the pipe and hit the stuff and same effect.

Fast forward to the time where this changed. Crack rocks became darker in color, more powdery, and most certainly didn't have the punch of the above no matter how many hits you had. When melted they'd melt as a milky substance on the gauze and sometimes even a brown substance and that stank to high heaven sometimes. And there was usually little to no residue left in the pipe and most times if there was it was a horrible, oily, black substance. And scraping the pipe wasn't possible i.e. only way to be greedy and try get another hit was to push the gauze up and down the pipe to catch this shit. And more often than not it'd make you cough and splutter and also had the propensity to ignite. And even if you got a mild rush: it didn't last long, certainly wasn't smooth, and resulted in jitters, paranoia, and generally it was just shit. And oddly enough: while this was all going on the HCL being delivered was also off color, smelly, burned the shit out of your nostrils, little to no anesthesia, no drip, just, again, plain shit. And it was at this time and for these reasons I started a) cooking with baking soda myself (and ended up with the same crappy results) and b) going the chemical route.

Chemical route: back to the good (and even better) stuff and effects. But the loss was horrific. By that stage I was lucky to be getting 200mg of freebase from 1g of HCL. And that is no shit. So the problem is obvious i.e. false economy (to say the least). Not to mention the patience and restraint required in order to wait for the shit to dry proper (I didn't use lamps i.e. just let the shit dry by itself on a glass plate and sometimes that took a LONG time especially during Winter or when it was raining).

So is there a difference between Crack and freebase? Technically and chemically maybe not. But in practice and with shoddy and unscrupulous cooks and crooks and crap HCL to start with: yes there is.

And one fine day I will do this test on HCL that I KNOW to be unadulterated and, in theory anyway, the loss (by weight) should be no more than 10% max. going the chemical route. :) If for no other reason than to prove a point of course!

I leave you with a gift of sorts i.e. David Lee's Cocaine Handbook which, I'm told, is getting harder and harder to come by nowadays. While it may be dated: it's a good read and served me well back in the day. And if you take things back to basics: it's as relevant today as it was back then (in spite of some new twists along the way since then) (but some of those covered in my threads on the the topic). Sorry for the scan and layout i.e. this not my scan or copy or upload (my original went missing years ago) (I think I tossed it when I gave this all up as a bad job). Some may perceive it as a harm reduction resource. Others may perceive it as an instruction manual. Take from it what you will! 🤣

Yeah . I had bell ringer stuff on one occasion- it was heavenly (that was circa 2012). All the other crack I has too expensive and too low quality- it didn’t even feel like the same drug as the bell ringer stuff

whatever they’re cutting the cocaine /crack with is definitely psychoactive , it doesn’t feel like the real thing

I think TODAY people like the “ idea” of powder cocaine more than they ACTUALLY like cocaine - I have seen people go so excited off absolute crap quality coke snorting with their $100 bills.

real cocaine / crack is heavenly , the stuff that’s making the rounds as “cocaine /crack “ is terrible - even when I was a hardcore drug addict I’d rather go sober - none of the euphoria, hellish comedown , Im sorta surprised people still addicted to modern day crack , but in a way I get it . Even absolute crap quality crack may not provide much euphoria BUT it is effective at blunting past trauma , and as you keep hitting the stem every couple minutes, your attention is focused on something neutral

Today with darknet sourcing it might be different BUT 15 years ago , if you’re dead set on trying cocaine , I’d suggest buying some crack . The crack addicts have a general idea of what crack is supposed to feel like so it probably contains at least some cocaine (occasional yuppie cocaine users don’t know what cocaine feels like - you could pass them some mephedrone powder as cocaine , lie , “oh the reason it feels different is cause this is what pure cocaine is supposed to feel like , you been getting ripped off” ).

Furthermore , crack is smokable , so that limits what the rock could contain vs a powder product that could contain anything , hell even caffeine powder passed around to drug virgins as “cocaine “

Last edited:
Freebase cocaine is smokable cocaine made with ammonia rather than baking soda. It existed before crack cocaine did as a smokable form of coke.
Exactly. Crack is simply the product of baking soda, water and a microwaving being extremely easier to find and use compared to ammonia or other chemicals.

Literally anybody can make it in their kitchen with common household items in a matter of minutes, which is why it became so popular among low to mid level drug dealers to increase profit.

It works with foil, but not as good as more tried and true methods. I do have very good foil technique and so I get good results. The issue you have with foil is that when the stuff melts, it runs all over the place, so you kind of have to "pool" it in one spot, and you really have to torch it and not let it run around because it slides on foil like oil and water.

Freebase cocaine is smokable cocaine made with ammonia rather than baking soda. It existed before crack cocaine did as a smokable form of coke.
It's never been a requirement that the cocaine freebase be made with ammonia; it just happens to have been the more common method back before they were calling it “crack”. To any chemist, the “freebase” of any drug simply refers to the drug in its alkaline state rather than bonding the drug with an acid to form a water soluble salt, such as e.g. hydrochloric acid mixed with cocaine renders cocaine hydrochloride (aka cocaine.hcl, “powder cocaine”, “soft”). Another example is: amphetamine freebase oil bonds with sulfuric acid to produce amphetamine sulfate.

From a more urban dictionary / proletariat perspective, I can see the argument for saying “freebase cocaine” should indicate a very pure product made with precision from ammonia and water, rendering ammonia chloride solution and freebase cocaine rocks. And though it need not be said, particularly to those who already know: freebase cocaine rocks rock*.
* when used as directed

All crack is freebase but not all freebase is crack . Did I understand right
That's basically the gist, yeah, although it's worthy of note: this really all depends on how loose your definitions of “crack” and “freebase” are – if you're willing to eschew being a purity stickler, they're roughly the same thing, and in the eyes of the law they will more than likely be considered synonymous anyway, so the point becomes a bit moot here as things become murky… kinda like whipping up stepped-on hard.

Say we have some cocaine and want to preserve it. Which degrades faster powder or rock ?
Rock, most likely. Generally speaking, bonding an acid to an alkaline drug renders a more stable drug salt, that if kept in a suitable environment (in a cool, dark place, either completely dry or in solution) should stay good for an impressively long amount of time. Exposure to heat, light, and atmospheric moisture inevitably will lead most things to degrade.

Crack is an impure form of freebase. It's as simple as that.
Pretty much unless one is willing to use a looser definition of these terms. As you pointed out, the excess sodium bicarbonate causes the signature crack-snapple-pop sound (if you put water and baking soda on a spoon, for example, add some cocaine and heat it together with a lighter, you will hear this sound and find a crack rock in your spoon). And as you no doubt already know, this is what rappers are talking about when they mention “whipping up” crack on the stove top with baking soda in a Pyrex dish.

You see, the 13th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution bans slavery “except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted”. So naturally the govt. needed to drum up various ways over the decades to incriminate people of color and keep the slave trade secretly churning on, which virtually anyone who's been to an actual state or federal prison will attest (ever hear of UNICOR?). Knowing that black people were more likely to smoke a drug rather than snort, shoot, or even swallow a pill, the govt. needed a cheap and easy way to produce a smokable form of the cocaine they were busy trafficking across borders during the Reagan administration and the Iran-Contra scandal. So they developed a simple technique that uses everyday ordinary baking soda and hot water, and as an added bonus to the dealer, the extra weight from using an excess of baking soda—though certainly a cut—just lead to more money and was justified in their heads in a multitude of ways, none of them very ethical, but then consider the source: the U.S. government, where morals are made up on the fly by the mighty while bombs are dropped on any country featuring non-European humans and a noted lack of desired fossil fuels.

So you know, then after setting up a bunch of baby kingpen crack dealers, they swooped down hard on them with panic legislation backed by a moral majority that spawned a weird satanism scare in the mid-80s, and while the u.s. military flew back opium in the caskets of dead soldiers while setting up new jack city, they began using forfeiture laws to seize assets and take the McMansions and sports cars these freshly busted crack kingpens had just purchased, swapped it all out for 15- to 30-year sentences and mandatory minimums while paying inmates less than a dollar per hour. And where did all the funds from the seized assets go? Not to budget offset, oh no, but rather this money was given to the Sandinistas in Nicaragua to purchase weapons from U.S. arms manufacturers to fight a proxy war against the communist government in Managua (ostensibly; the real reason, and also the answer to 99 out of 100 questions, is: money). Also, these seized assets principled on the defendant being guilty until proven innocent went to Saddam Hussein in Baghdad for the purpose of fighting a proxy against the Ayatollah in Iran and which later were used instead to invade Kuwait and precipitate the first Gulf War between the U.S. and Iraq.

Killer Mike sums it up nicely in “Reagan”:

It's never been a requirement that the cocaine freebase be made with ammonia; it just happens to have been the more common method back before they were calling it “crack”. To any chemist, the “freebase” of any drug simply refers to the drug in its alkaline state rather than bonding the drug with an acid to form a water soluble salt, such as e.g. hydrochloric acid mixed with cocaine renders cocaine hydrochloride (aka cocaine.hcl, “powder cocaine”, “soft”). Another example is: amphetamine freebase oil bonds with sulfuric acid to produce amphetamine sulfate.

From a more urban dictionary / proletariat perspective, I can see the argument for saying “freebase cocaine” should indicate a very pure product made with precision from ammonia and water, rendering ammonia chloride solution and freebase cocaine rocks. And though it need not be said, particularly to those who already know: freebase cocaine rocks rock*.
* when used as directed

That's basically the gist, yeah, although it's worthy of note: this really all depends on how loose your definitions of “crack” and “freebase” are – if you're willing to eschew being a purity stickler, they're roughly the same thing, and in the eyes of the law they will more than likely be considered synonymous anyway, so the point becomes a bit moot here as things become murky… kinda like whipping up stepped-on hard.

Rock, most likely. Generally speaking, bonding an acid to an alkaline drug renders a more stable drug salt, that if kept in a suitable environment (in a cool, dark place, either completely dry or in solution) should stay good for an impressively long amount of time. Exposure to heat, light, and atmospheric moisture inevitably will lead most things to degrade.

Pretty much unless one is willing to use a looser definition of these terms. As you pointed out, the excess sodium bicarbonate causes the signature crack-snapple-pop sound (if you put water and baking soda on a spoon, for example, add some cocaine and heat it together with a lighter, you will hear this sound and find a crack rock in your spoon). And as you no doubt already know, this is what rappers are talking about when they mention “whipping up” crack on the stove top with baking soda in a Pyrex dish.

You see, the 13th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution bans slavery “except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted”. So naturally the govt. needed to drum up various ways over the decades to incriminate people of color and keep the slave trade secretly churning on, which virtually anyone who's been to an actual state or federal prison will attest (ever hear of UNICOR?). Knowing that black people were more likely to smoke a drug rather than snort, shoot, or even swallow a pill, the govt. needed a cheap and easy way to produce a smokable form of the cocaine they were busy trafficking across borders during the Reagan administration and the Iran-Contra scandal. So they developed a simple technique that uses everyday ordinary baking soda and hot water, and as an added bonus to the dealer, the extra weight from using an excess of baking soda—though certainly a cut—just lead to more money and was justified in their heads in a multitude of ways, none of them very ethical, but then consider the source: the U.S. government, where morals are made up on the fly by the mighty while bombs are dropped on any country featuring non-European humans and a noted lack of desired fossil fuels.

So you know, then after setting up a bunch of baby kingpen crack dealers, they swooped down hard on them with panic legislation backed by a moral majority that spawned a weird satanism scare in the mid-80s, and while the u.s. military flew back opium in the caskets of dead soldiers while setting up new jack city, they began using forfeiture laws to seize assets and take the McMansions and sports cars these freshly busted crack kingpens had just purchased, swapped it all out for 15- to 30-year sentences and mandatory minimums while paying inmates less than a dollar per hour. And where did all the funds from the seized assets go? Not to budget offset, oh no, but rather this money was given to the Sandinistas in Nicaragua to purchase weapons from U.S. arms manufacturers to fight a proxy war against the communist government in Managua (ostensibly; the real reason, and also the answer to 99 out of 100 questions, is: money). Also, these seized assets principled on the defendant being guilty until proven innocent went to Saddam Hussein in Baghdad for the purpose of fighting a proxy against the Ayatollah in Iran and which later were used instead to invade Kuwait and precipitate the first Gulf War between the U.S. and Iraq.

Killer Mike sums it up nicely in “Reagan”:

Nice post as always. Wish you'd visit more often though. :)

yea we always considered crack to just be coke mixed with water and baking soda (or ammonia) and heated up to make it smokable - where freebase was when you heated it up, and then got the oil puddle in the middle which was almost pure and separated that - not that im correct on this and somebody else isn't , but that's how my friends and i considered the 2 to be different

yea we always considered crack to just be coke mixed with water and baking soda (or ammonia) and heated up to make it smokable - where freebase was when you heated it up, and then got the oil puddle in the middle which was almost pure and separated that - not that im correct on this and somebody else isn't , but that's how my friends and i considered the 2 to be different
So I used sodium hydroxide back whenever I made freebase, and this, like sodium bicarbonate, will rock up; whereas ammonia does not form the same freebase, insteading staying as an oil. But in all the above instances, cocaine hydrochloride is chemically changed such that the cocaine base is “freed” from the hydrochloric acid molecule; hence the name: “freebase”. However, the tendency exists for crack dealers who whip their own rocks from soft to use an excess of baking soda to give them more overall weight to sell. Do note: people who cut drugs for a profit are deplorable, selfish, greedy pieces of dogshit, and if anyone reading these words actively practices this, please stop this practice right now; turn over a new leaf. … I'll step down from the soap box now…