• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Smoking less often to prevent tolerance

Pyschonauts

Greenlighter
Hey

I am fairly new to weed, i used to smoke 1-4 hits of regs once or twice a week but then i left that city and i can only find schwag now.

The problem is that i build a tolerance after the first session. I only get a buzz after that, and i end up railing my stash too soon. i can smoke WAY more (twice the amount) and get a stronger buzz but it's a waste and i can't afford so much weed or legal risks all the time.

So what if i smoke less often, say every 3-7 days instead of daily? How would tolerance form in that scenario?

If smoke a gram of this shit (or until i achieve a decent effect) will i recover fully over 3 days? Would something like this generate a tolerance over time?

What is the relationship between frequency of use, amount and tolerance? Could i smoke larger amounts of weed once a week and not have a tolerance the next week?

I feel like smoking .5-1 gram every 3 days or slamming twice or more every week would be a best case scenario, but i don't really know how this works, most info is oriented towards the "Smoke weed every day" ideology, but i can't afford it.

Any advice?

Yeah if you don't smoke so often you have a lower tolerance.

At one point I was on some kind of religious craze and decided that I should only smoke on Saturdays to "keep the sabbath holy". The problem was that I could only smoke really small amounts if I wanted to enjoy it... I would fall asleep after bonghits and not be able to walk straight after a joint etc. From the same weed that I thought "isn't that strong really why does everyone else seem to say so" when I smoked it all the time. Then I switched to smoking every night but only after everything else for the day had been taken care of and only a small amount at a time, that kept my tolerance pretty low even though I was smoking every day. But the amounts were small nowhere near a gram or even half.

What's slamming btw?

Salutations Pyschonauts,

...i end up railing my stash too soon.

In my own personal case a moddified VG pipe bowl holds ~ 125 mg and 5 ~ 7 of those per day would be plenty, not to mention i recently started blending with pre-vaped material to experiment with lesser THC content while maintaining a satisfying ritual. After a few decades of a toxic smoking habit, in absence of healthy government support, now that i'm old this is the price to pay i guess for that legacy of hate lovers/love haters which started in Canada with the silent ban of Cannabis performed by Henri-Séverin Béland in 1923, with the benediction of Raoul Dandurand. Tools of the Commonwealth nearly 1 century ago...

With a history of prohibition that lasted for decades it's only normal to be facing problems from all sides: family stigma, laced weed, fear of police brutality... Now if you have your own difficulties compounded then i can imagine it may seem difficult indeed.

...it's a waste and i can't afford so much...

At least you can see it but yet it's loo late when you do i guess. Well, 1st of all lets say that you waste half of the noble molecules when burning those as vulgar charcoal just to feed fire combustion. Hardly the most economical method around for starters, and even if you got a vaporizer they're not all equal. The locomotive effect may be OKay with groups but a person seeking more equilibrium in life should think of a vape that's quick and works it tiny amounts. A proper pipe can provide you that: pre-heat, inhale with more force once the goodies are released then flush the upper airways into your lungs and finally enjoy exhales under thin sunrays. If this prospect sounds appealing then maybe you can shift towards lesser abuse. Or just let decades pass until your brain learns its lessons about some unresolved obcession of the perfect "fix" that never comes...

...what if i smoke less often, say every 3-7 days instead of daily?

Less often ain't a bad thing, at least to me: it's not a religion. Daily? Why not after the evening meal instead, as the effects last maybe 3 ~ 4 depending of the individual and after that it's bed time anyway... Also, it may help to have the company of someone on the same route. With nobody around it's too easy to become self-indulgent and go for yet another toke, although not impossible this may require to acquire more discipline. But that's only one personal opinion.

How would tolerance form in that scenario?

Riding the edge can be turned into a creative venture, "more is less" sounds like my mother but it can be fun when that happens. Of course you'd have to keep busy and avoid passivity, even more the multiplication of "couch locks" of course, etc.

...a gram of this shit...

If it's "SHIT" why use it at all? Don't even touch that!!

Would something like this generate a tolerance over time?

Tolerance is natural and it should be all the policing you need once you understand it. Now i risk sounding like my mother all right!...

What is the relationship between frequency of use, amount and tolerance?

Prohibitionists have been working on "metered" dosage for strictly medical applications without the psycho-active effects, ideally. Search on Google and YouTube for "Syqe", this may give you hope for the years ahead, if it's not too late for you...

Could i smoke larger amounts of weed once a week and not have a tolerance the next week?

On paper that sounds reasonable but in my own personal opinion roller-coaster behaviours often lead to a trap, eventually. You'd need the support of comprehensive friends who understand your needs, etc. Chances are you'll light up more and more but there's only about 9 % of the cannabis consumers who do develop "addiction" after all. So, are you the lucky type?

...smoking .5-1 gram every 3 days... Any advice?

One 125 mg pipe bowl provides me 5 ~ 7 good tokes, though i prefer to throw that material in a jar before it tastes pop-corn, to cook later... If you could discipline yourself to consume 2 bowls twice a week this would amount to 500 mg every 7 days, with spare pre-vaped stuff in your fridge accumulating. I couldn't do it in good time because nobody told me when i most needed to hear this, maybe you'll get luckier now that more balanced information can be found on the net.

Good day, have fun! The sun and my rocking-chair are waiting for me, in the veranda...

=D

In my experience smoking less a week didn't really do much to lower my tolerance, so I would suggest you take a couple weeks off of smoking to lower it but also if you went from regs to dirt bud that would also have to do with why you need to smoke more now.

Smoking a bit less doesn't help much.

If you take a month or two off, you will be able to get ripped with a fraction of what you need now, and your high will last 5 times as long.

Currently trying to quit, but I used to smoke daily and wouldn't get too high.
I stopped for 3-4 months, and after that one hit would get me like "too high" for like 10 hours. It felt basically like your first time getting high.

Everything in my area is chron, since it was legalized medicinally-- but with regs I'm sure you'd just need two hits instead of one.

Hi Pyschonauts

What Im about to tell you is not a direct answer to your questions but I think that you might benefit from it anyways.

The phrase "less is more" is one that holds true for a lot of drugs, including cannabis.
I am a daily smoker (well, I vape) and Ive been on both sides of Cannabis consumption, ranging from once in a while to heavy everyday use and I have found that it is possible to consume cannabis everyday and still get high, without going through massive amounts of bud (i use 0,3-0,6 g a day at the moment, often lower)
All it takes are two things.

First of all, you cant smoke from morning to night time, this will make your tolerance go through the roof, so try to make it a night time only thing.

Secondly, keep your doses low! This takes some balls for the first few weeks but the results will amaze you, ´cause you will most likely soon realise that you can get high on a very small amount.
I used to smoke maybe 0,4 g at a time and now im down to half of that, sometimes less and I would say that it gets me about 90% as high as the 0,4 g used to, just due to the fact that my dosing is consistently lower and your tolerance will adapt to that in time.
It just sucks for the first couple of weeks ´cause you cant help but notice that you are not as high as you would like to be.
The really great thing about this is, that every once in a while, when you want to get really high, you can jump back to your original dose and that will get you baked as fuck.
Im not even sure if I would be able to vape 0,4 g in one session without it being too much as 0,3 g gets me really fucking high.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update

Yeah if you don't smoke so often you have a lower tolerance.

At one point I was on some kind of religious craze and decided that I should only smoke on Saturdays to "keep the sabbath holy". The problem was that I could only smoke really small amounts if I wanted to enjoy it... I would fall asleep after bonghits and not be able to walk straight after a joint etc. From the same weed that I thought "isn't that strong really why does everyone else seem to say so" when I smoked it all the time. Then I switched to smoking every night but only after everything else for the day had been taken care of and only a small amount at a time, that kept my tolerance pretty low even though I was smoking every day. But the amounts were small nowhere near a gram or even half.

What's slamming btw?

Yeah i definitely noticed a difference when i moved from smoking my last stash all day to only at night. I got a significantly stronger buzz with the same dose, but my stash was pretty much depleted by the time i realized this.

I didn't think that frequency would ruin it so much even if i was smoking a small amount.

Yeah i agree that a gram is too much, i just smoked that after a 3 day break and the high got hazy and i felt weed-staggered the next day. I'll definitely lower the dose.

With "slamming" i mean using a lot of weed p;

In my experience smoking less a week didn't really do much to lower my tolerance, so I would suggest you take a couple weeks off of smoking to lower it but also if you went from regs to dirt bud that would also have to do with why you need to smoke more now.

Smoking a bit less doesn't help much.

If you take a month or two off, you will be able to get ripped with a fraction of what you need now, and your high will last 5 times as long.

Currently trying to quit, but I used to smoke daily and wouldn't get too high.
I stopped for 3-4 months, and after that one hit would get me like "too high" for like 10 hours. It felt basically like your first time getting high.

Everything in my area is chron, since it was legalized medicinally-- but with regs I'm sure you'd just need two hits instead of one.

Why wouldn't it help :\? It's like a minor tolerance break and i have only been smoking for 1.5 weeks after 6 months+ or not smoking.

I have not smoked regs in several years.

Hi Pyschonauts

What Im about to tell you is not a direct answer to your questions but I think that you might benefit from it anyways.

The phrase "less is more" is one that holds true for a lot of drugs, including cannabis.
I am a daily smoker (well, I vape) and Ive been on both sides of Cannabis consumption, ranging from once in a while to heavy everyday use and I have found that it is possible to consume cannabis everyday and still get high, without going through massive amounts of bud (i use 0,3-0,6 g a day at the moment, often lower)
All it takes are two things.

First of all, you cant smoke from morning to night time, this will make your tolerance go through the roof, so try to make it a night time only thing.

Secondly, keep your doses low! This takes some balls for the first few weeks but the results will amaze you, ´cause you will most likely soon realize that you can get high on a very small amount.
I used to smoke maybe 0,4 g at a time and now im down to half of that, sometimes less and I would say that it gets me about 90% as high as the 0,4 g used to, just due to the fact that my dosing is consistently lower and your tolerance will adapt to that in time.
It just sucks for the first couple of weeks ´cause you cant help but notice that you are not as high as you would like to be.
The really great thing about this is, that every once in a while, when you want to get really high, you can jump back to your original dose and that will get you baked as fuck.
Im not even sure if I would be able to vape 0,4 g in one session without it being too much as 0,3 g gets me really fucking high.

Thanks for the info :D

I can definitely relate to this, i find that small amounts usually do good. I haven't tried it in this scenario yet tho, but i will.
Wonder if the brain actually increases it's capability to get high off low doses when you do this repeatedly.

Salutations Pyschonauts,

At least you can see it but yet it's loo late when you do i guess. Well, 1st of all lets say that you waste half of the noble molecules when burning those as vulgar charcoal just to feed fire combustion. Hardly the most economical method around for starters, and even if you got a vaporizer they're not all equal. The locomotive effect may be OKay with groups but a person seeking more equilibrium in life should think of a vape that's quick and works it tiny amounts. A proper pipe can provide you that: pre-heat, inhale with more force once the goodies are released then flush the upper airways into your lungs and finally enjoy exhales under thin sunrays. If this prospect sounds appealing then maybe you can shift towards lesser abuse. Or just let decades pass until your brain learns its lessons about some unresolved obcession of the perfect "fix" that never comes...

=D

Thanks man
Yeah i am trying to get a new pipe, it's just a bit hard with all the problems you mentioned lol. I know my pieces are aweful lol, but they can deliver hits at least...

I hope someday i will be able to buy a humane pipe lol

I agree with the perfect fix thing lol, it's like its never going to be satisfied
But i really rather just get high often than chase the dragon.

Update:I waited 3 days and smoked the same weed again. I got way, way higher of a similar amount, 1 bowl from the homemade steamroller.

I got the highest i have been on that bud, and for the longest time. And i also had more control and lucidity than the first time. The first time had other effects tho, such as stronger CEVs and more epic confusion. But this high was still good, before i smoked too much.

After that i smoked more, another bowl and a bowl in another pipe. I got too high, felt hazy all day and a bit staggered. Next day i felt burned out and a bit weed overwhelmed q;

Next morning smoked another bowl and i barely felt any effects. A few hours later the slight hangover turned into a pretty sweet, strong and enjoyable afterglow that i still feel the next day a bit.

I smoked a bit more 2 times at night and i didn't really feel anything. I won't smoke on consecutive days anymore.

I will wait 3 more days and hit in the fourth to see what happens ;D.

Problem is you're not getting decent weed. Tolerance only builds up with regular daily use, so if you take longer breaks you get higher, but if it's shit weed then you can't do much except find something better. Good stuff will fuck you up even with just 1 day break. I prefer to maintain some tolerance so I don't get such psychedelic & anxiety effects.

Last edited:
Problem is you're not getting decent weed. Tolerance only builds up with regular daily use, so if you take longer breaks you get higher, but if it's shit weed then you can't do much except find something better. Good stuff will fuck you up even with just 1 day break. I prefer to maintain some tolerance so I don't get such psychedelic & anxiety effects.

Yeah the quality of the weed is a problem, but i just moved to a violent mexican city, so it's hard if not impossible to get better weed.

Still, there should be a sweet spot of spacing out sessions where tolerance to good weed is not built either, or not in enough amounts so that you have to constantly smoke more.

I have rarely tried GOOD weed, but i think i would still be trying to reduce frequency even if i did, since i still like being the highest possible (as often as possible) while not wasting so many resources and risking my safety by consuming too much.

I used to only get a good buzz off of atleast 2-3 blunts of good stuff. Take a 10 day break you wont regret it. You will notice how high you get it doesnt even matter the type of weed i can smoke loud for a month straight then take a 10 days break and smoke dirt weed and still catch a great buzz

Yeah the quality of the weed is a problem, but i just moved to a violent mexican city, so it's hard if not impossible to get better weed.

Still, there should be a sweet spot of spacing out sessions where tolerance to good weed is not built either, or not in enough amounts so that you have to constantly smoke more.

I have rarely tried GOOD weed, but i think i would still be trying to reduce frequency even if i did, since i still like being the highest possible (as often as possible) while not wasting so many resources and risking my safety by consuming too much.

For me it's a more relaxing effect if I have a tolerance. I build tolerance to some of the effects faster than others. There's only good quality weed available here, so it's either do tiny joints, mix with a lot of tobacco, build a tolerance or trip out & get uncomfortably high/anxious off a joint. I just smoke between 1-2 grams a day usually. After a few months I've smoked myself sober so a joint doesn't do anything at all, then I just stop for a day or two & my tolerance disappears temporarily.

Daily smoking will give you a high tolerance quite quickly, even if it's just small amounts or weak weed. If you keep it to weekends or at least only every few days then you wont build such a tolerance. It's a careful balance, if you get too high too often then you'll need to keep smoking more or better quality stuff to get high. The sweet spot is something only you can find, it's different for everyone, especially when there's natural variation in the weed too.

I'm not sure a whole 10 days between smoking is neccessary, just 1 or 2 days makes a big difference for me, but everybody's different. The longer you leave it between getting high the higher you'll get off the same amount, up to a point.

I think there could be something to this Mango theory too... http://www.theweedblog.com/mangos-increase-the-effects-of-consuming-marijuana/ I think things you eat & drink can effect a weed high. Definitely best not to smoke when you're hungry.

Last edited:
Change the strain of your weed. Also if you can only get dirt weed type in BHO in your omnibox and learn how to turn dirt weed into something that you will only need one hit to do ya and you will never need "Chronic" again. I have been smoking oil for over a year now and tolerance is not an issue. Remember NO ONE HAS EVER DIED FROM AN OVERDOSE OF MARIJUANA. Keep that in mind and you will be ok.