• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Smoking heroin

justtakethat

Bluelighter
What's the chance to OD from smoking JUST heroin with nothing else. It's very slim correct? I'm sure there are other threads like this but the search function doesn't seem to work for the mobile version for me. I've always heard you'd just pass out before you could OD.

common misconception that you pass out before you OD; it is very possible to smoke enough for an OD and be good for a while, even walk around and do things, speak to people, put yourself to bed and then OD.
its happened to me twice.
never assume that what you are doing is safe, never think it'll never happen to you and take every possible precaution when you are attempting this perilous act, please.

༼ ༎ຶ ෴ ༎ຶ༽

Last edited:
How much do you have to be smoking to do that because anytime I've smoked some tar it always felt like I'd be uncontrollably nodding well before I would get sick. It seems like it would pretty hard to overdo it, unless of course you were carelessly smoking a bunch. I know when I'm smoking it I'm always overly cautious.

It seems like it would pretty hard to overdo it, unless of course you were carelessly smoking a bunch. I know when I'm smoking it I'm always overly cautious.

and that's great that you take precautions when you smoke, but saying that by smoking heroin there's virtually no risk, and the chances of ODing are slim gives a false impression to others, and simultaneously falsely and negatively portrays those who have gone through the ordeal of an OD due to smoking as somehow being reckless and kinda deserving of it.
we already spoke about this very recently and i thought we covered this jtt?

Last edited:
I have OD'ed 6 times from smoking BTH and 2 times from smoking BTH cut with Fent you never know when its gonna happen till it happens! i use to think it was fine to sit there and smoke till id go unconscious but with experience you will soon find out any way of doing heroin can be dangerous. It is heroin im guessing from the street so you never know you could get brown sugar and fent and od from a little bit! Please be careful you never know whats in your drugs unless you test them.

and that's great that you take precautions when you smoke, but saying that by smoking heroin there's virtually no risk, and the chances of ODing are slim gives a false impression to others, and simultaneously falsely and negatively portrays those who have gone through the ordeal of an OD due to smoking as somehow being reckless and kinda deserving of it.
we already spoke about this very recently and i thought we covered this jtt?
Was hoping to get some other opinions thanks.

I think the chances are higher than snorting it. Ive only smoked dope like twice but it hit harder than anything other than IV. And knowing just how effective the lungs can be as a place of absorption, its no surprise.

I don't think this can have a factual answer, I agree it's possible but don't think it's likely. I'd like to hear more opinions as I've said.

I don't think this can have a factual answer, I agree it's possible but don't think it's likely. I'd like to hear more opinions as I've said.

Honestly man it seems like you're waiting for someone to come along that has the same opinion as you so you can justify doing it. I've OD'ed from snorting and let me tell you man it's not fun. There is no way to know that you OD'ed til it happens. I sniffed an amount I had done before, from the same source. I was fine for 8 hours before the OD hit me. H is not like other drugs where you have a warning. Be safe

No need to justify doing it, many drugs can kill you. Do you have to justify drinking alcohol? That's odd that it hit you 8 hours later though.

Alcohol at least gives you warning signs. And Other drugs you can better gauge. Like for example - pharms like xanax, percs, adderall, etc. I know exactly what my threshold is. Or at least I have a pretty good idea. Street drugs, especially H, are much harder to gauge. And unless you test it each time, you're playing with fire. Look I'm not preaching I've done plenty of stupid drug related stuff, I would just hate to see someone make the same mistake I did and die

What's the chance to OD from smoking JUST heroin with nothing else. It's very slim correct?

incorrect, smoking heroin is very dangerous and you are especially susceptible to ODs if you are new to heroin or have taken a break.

I don't think this can have a factual answer, I agree it's possible but don't think it's likely.

i have just told you a fact. there is a common misconception that to think that smoking is pretty safe because you will pass out before you OD, but that isn't the case.
as Xan_man has said, he OD'd 8 hours after smoking.
i've been through the same scenario.

common misconception that you pass out before you OD; it is very possible to smoke enough for an OD and be good for a while, even walk around and do things, speak to people, put yourself to bed and then OD.
its happened to me twice.
never assume that what you are doing is safe, never think it'll never happen to you and take every possible precaution when you are attempting this perilous act, please.

༼ ༎ຶ ෴ ༎ຶ༽

Precisely! It has happened to me too, it had actually happened after almost one hour, apparently fell asleep while watching TV..

Last edited:
I actually sniffed it, keeping. But that just goes to show you that neither route is safe

incorrect, smoking heroin is very dangerous and you are especially susceptible to ODs if you are new to heroin or have taken a break.

i have just told you a fact. there is a common misconception that to think that smoking is pretty safe because you will pass out before you OD, but that isn't the case.
as Xan_man has said, he OD'd 8 hours after smoking.
i've been through the same scenario.
He said he ODed 8 hours after snorting it dude. I don't think it's even possible to OD 8 hours after smoking it.

I actually sniffed it, keeping. But that just goes to show you that neither route is safe

appologies i missed that, but yes i totally agree with you xan mate.

He said he ODed 8 hours after snorting it dude. I don't think it's even possible to OD 8 hours after smoking it.

my bad i didn't see that, but it still goes to show.
anyway, irrespective of xan_man's experience there is erikmen's and my own.
i ODd a long time after cessation of smoking, around 6 hours after, it happens to a lot of people after they decide to go to sleep.
whether its 1, 6 or 8 hours is kind of splitting hairs, but i assure you it is 100% possible.

Last edited:
JustTakeThat Please listen i understand that most people on the streets say "No you cant OD from smoking youll just pass out i had the same mindset as you when i was in my teens. Until i was found overdosed in my bathroom 6 times in a 2 month period. I know you think all drugs are dangerous but if you actually knew this you would be heeding the warnings of people who have OD'ed from smoking ad treat this drug as it is a dangerous substance. SO regardless if its "maybe" less likely which it isnt, i have had 7 friends pass away in 10 months from smoking dope and you should treat all drugs with respect or quit you usage before you end up dead from a ill informed post or person.

I agree with the previous posts warning about underestimating the risk of OD when smoking heroin on the basis you fall asleep before ingesting a fatal dose,..

- there is a significant OD risk as a consequence of the cumulative effect of heroin: particularly in long term experienced users, who have trained themselves to fight the sedative effect and retain consciousness long after they've imbibed enough heroin to render most people unconscious.

This risk shouldn't be dismissed; as posters have testified and as I can vouch from personal experience, it's possible to be completely out of it - essentially unconscious save for a slim thread of awareness - and retain enough motor function to smoke more.

I believe that this poses more of a risk for those people who respond differently to the effect of downers or depressants. Instead of gouching or 'going on the nod' at the time of taking heroin, some people become stimulated and initially their nervous system is excited.

My first reaction after taking heroin is excitement, creative energy and a blessed out wakefulness; it's not until a few hours later that I go on the nod and have difficulties keeping my eyes open. I doubt that I'm the only person to be stimulated in this way by heroin.

- the cumulative risk of OD is considerably increased when heroin is mixed with other drugs, particularly crack which is a very common companion when smoking heroin and which will allow you to smoke much more heroin than normal

- the majority of recent heroin OD deaths have resulted from fentanyl being used to cut the drug; this massively raises the toxicity of the drug. This increased risk of OD is the same for people smoking heroin as it is when injecting.

The risk of rok OD when smoking heroin is reduced, but it is still substantial, especially when heroin is mixed with other drugs.

It's dangerous to mislead inexperienced users by suggesting that there's no risk if OD when smoking heroin.

It's particularly dangerous and especially irresponsible to state as a fact that there's no or minimal risk of OD when smoking heroin on a site like Bluelight, which has a reputation of providing accurate insights and trustworthy guidance based on the combined firsthand experience of members.

Last edited:
"How much do you have to be smoking to do that because anytime I've smoked some tar it always felt like I'd be uncontrollably nodding well before I would get sick. It seems like it would pretty hard to overdo it, unless of course you were carelessly smoking a bunch. I know when I'm smoking it I'm always overly cautious."

To add to my previous post, and in answer to your specific question "how much…?", from my personal experience it's very difficult to be precise about what dose or quantity causes an overdose when heroin is smoked. Unless you have access to pharmaceutical grade pure heroin and can be certain about the purity and strength of what you're smoking, then the question of how much is largely irrelevant.

I've smoked heroin habitually for over 10 years and have a lot of experience with the drug. I've overdosed on a number of occasions, mostly in the first three years before I developed a high tolerance. Each time I overdosed was when I smoked heroin (aside from one occasion Ive only smoked heroin). On one memorable occasion, when I'd first started smoking and had only been smoking for around a year, I had been waiting for my wife to go to bed so I could have a quick smoke. I hadn't smoked the day before, but I had smoked the day before that; my tolerance wasn't that high. I sat at the kitchen table and had a couple of quick big 'smokes'. I had no intention of having a lengthy session and wanted to be quick so as not to get caught.
After my second inhale I felt a massive pleasant rush and then a sinking feeling, which was so comfortable and beguiling i wasn't able to pull out of it. I'd collapsed face down on the kitchen table. I don;'t know how long I was alone in that situation, but obviously at some point my (ex)wife came downstairs and found me. This is all what I've been told, because my next memory after having a smoke was lying on my kitchen floor with a paramedic cutting off my shirt and preparing to inject me in the heart with an antidote… which didn't happen, because I woke up with a start and began babbling and trying to stand up. I was taken to the hospital, observed for a number of hours before being released. At the time I was off my head and the experience wasn't frightening. But when I sobered up the enormity of what I'd been through hit home; I easily could have stopped breathing and died.. and only after a couple of big smokes!
This is a genuine account. Do not think that you can't OD from smoking heroin.
Out of interest, why is this issue so important to you and why do you appear to minimise the dangers of smoking heroin?
I assume that being only 17, your opinion isn't based on experience; so what is your authority and why do you apparently so strongly believe in it?
Do you have another motivation for wanting to minimise the risks of drug use?
I find it hard to comprehend your position, particularly after so many experienced drug users have told you that your statements are inaccurate.
At times I wonder whether you're being deliberately provocative and trolling. I have no interest in being dismissive or demeaning anyone;s opinion; I'm only motivated by recounting my genuine experiences and cautioning new users on the risks of drug use.
Be careful and continue to be cautious with your smoking. Unfortunately I believe it to be a truism that no matter how cautious you are, any prolonged period of using heroin will inevitably lead to physical dependence, something which I don;t wish on my worst enemy.

I started using heroin when I was relatively old (33), as an alternative to combat alcoholism. Which sounds absurd, but actually makes much sense since in theory heroin is much kinder on your liver and kidneys and doesn't turn you into an obnoxious aggressive twat; and it doesn't make you aggressive or the type of drunken twat that alcohol does, but it is far more an insidious and life-destroying drug in other ways. It isolates you and destroys your motivation to maintain social relationships and work towards your ambitions. The danger of starting using heroin when very young is that you throw away your life if you become addicted and will never achieve anything. Every young person believes themselves to be invincible and I doubt any heroin addict believed that they would become addicted, It's natural to think that you won't succumb to addiction. I recall friends - who at first used with me, but stopped very early on - telling me that I was playing dangerously close to the playground fence…

…and then one day, without realising it, I was physically dependent. You 'can' overcome dependence, but what isn't nearly highlighted enough is that more pernicious than screwing up your social life and career, is the fact that prolonged heroin use destroys your body's ability to regulate endorphin production, sometimes permanently, at least for many months or years. It is the inability to feel normal pleasures (anhedonia) and social isolation which leads to frequent relapse and depression. Believe me, it's an intolerable, horrendous condition: one that won't kill you outright but will make life hardly worth living when it's at its worst.

Last edited: