View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Smoking Harmala

Hamish Harrumph

Bluelighter
If I smoke harmala, Syrian Rue e.g. do I have to observe the same dietary restrictions as for orally ingested MAOI 's?

I never noticed any interaction with food while on syrian rue - it's a reversible MAO-A inhibitor, not a unselective irreversible one.

Never had a problem with it. Like roi said, I think it's even fine if you take it orally. I have only taken it orally once or twice though. I would definitely observe the dietary restrictions if you're going to add oral DMT, just to be clear. Mmm, vaped harmalas..

I don't think you even achieve MAO inhibition by smoking harmalas.

And as stated above, Syrian Rue is a RIMA and as such quite forgiving.

I chewed a teaspoon of SR seeds this morning and followed up with a nice cup of coffee, this works well for me. I don't drink more than a couple of cups while on SR though (normally I'm a big caffeine addict), plus every metabolism is different, so keep that in mind.

But the bottomline is; no- smoked harmalas don't require stern dietary restrictions.

I would however never mix SSRI's and other contra-indicated medications with harmalas, smoked or ingested otherwise. If only just to be on the safe side of sorry.

I don't think you even achieve MAO inhibition by smoking harmalas.

And as stated above, Syrian Rue is a RIMA and as such quite forgiving.

I chewed a teaspoon of SR seeds this morning and followed up with a nice cup of coffee, this works well for me. I don't drink more than a couple of cups while on SR though (normally I'm a big caffeine addict), plus every metabolism is different, so keep that in mind.

But the bottomline is; no- smoked harmalas don't require stern dietary restrictions.

I would however never mix SSRI's and other contra-indicated medications with harmalas, smoked or ingested otherwise. If only just to be on the safe side of sorry.

Caffeine isn't contraindicated with MAOIs anyway, genius. MAOI fearmongers would do well to read this:

MAO Inhibtors: Risks, benefits, and lore. Wimbiscus, Molly MD; Olga Kostenk, MD; Donald Malone, MD. Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine, vol. 77, no. 12, Dec 2010.