• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Smokers (of tobacco) of nsw, you bummed?

JessFR

Bluelight Crew
So I live in nsw (live in, not from, I'm American), and outdoor smoking is about to be banned in about... Just over 20 hours? This sucks, I mean, I know it's probably for the best, but still, I love going to McDonalds for breakfast and having a smoke talking to either my mom or my friends in the states where the time difference works out.

Am I the only one here kinda bummed out over it?
I'm thinking of using this as an excuse to try quitting again.
(P.S. I'm aware this has been banned in qld for years now)

I´m not from Australia, but I see that you are trying to quit smoking and thought of suggesting that you try other types of tobacco less harmful during this first phase. Or patches.
Do you have Snus in Australia? Nicotine w/ flavor in little tiny organic patches (1 cm) that you can place in your upper gum. Not loose tobacco nor american snuff, no spitting at all.

Last edited:
I've tried all that. I've quit before, I think going cold turkey is what works for me, for nicotine anyway. I've had more success with that than anything else.

You are strong man! Nicotine is super difficult to quit. Something pleasurable you do 20 x a day or more during years and years. Well done!! :)

I couldnt care less. It stinks. I wish more people would use gum, patches or vapes.

Yeah I know it's for the best. Though you won't be allowed to vape in public either which is no surprise

Actually I was wrong before, I remember I did briefly use patches last time I quit, only for the first week to get more distance from the social habit before taking on the physical habit. I'll probably do that since I was successful last time. It was fairly extraordinary circumstances that got me started again.
I'm not a fan of long term nicotine therapy (months), it just seems to make me think of it more and the psychological craving I find much more powerful.

Other possibility is switching to ecigs. Cause I can't lie here, I do love smoking. I just hate how much it costs and how bad for my health it is.

I didnt even realise there was new smoking laws here (in NSW). When does it start, Monday?

What is the law, no out door smoking at all?

No smoking in outdoor dining areas and within 10 meters of a building entrance and something like 10 or meters from children's playground equipment and probably other stuff. And yea they haven't advertised it at all. The law came in years ago it just doesn't activate till tomorrow.

I think the cops will have power to issue summery fines of a fairly sizable amount.

I'm one of those horrible ex-smokers who now bitches everyone else out for the habit and I think it's a great plan!

Have fun enforcing that.

I remember (in Melbourne) when INDOOR smoking was banned, and we all kept lighting up anyhow in bars and clubs and I thought 'Hah! Good luck enforcing this!' - I couldn't imagine lighting up in most indoor environments now, other than the odd sneaky lock-in.

I remember when they banned outdoor smoking at train stations - same thing again, it's pretty well enforced now.

I think they come down heavy with the fines, for a while - like a good year or two really and then after that, it's not so much that people worry about being caught, but the culture around it changes, you start to feel scummy lighting up in places where you shouldn't, people notice and you know they notice and you know they know you know they noticed. It gets awkward. Society is changing anyway when it comes to smoking, as a teenager in the 90s it was all the rage, I speak to a lot of young people now and regardless of whether they smoke or not, they all seem to think it's pretty filthy.. or more to the point, as lame as this sounds - smoking *did* use to be 'cool' - now it's 'cool' not to smoke. or something like that. Things change anyway, people used to smoke on trains, in crowded office buildings, hospitals even (not sure about Aus - but easy to find data in the USA that indicates people were still happily smoking away in shared hospital rooms well into the late 80s).

I'm a smoker myself, but it's not hard to see which way the wind is blowing. I don't think it is a case of needing to enforce it - sure, there'll always be people breaking outdoor smoking bans, but it only needs to be enforced long enough for people to stop thinking of these places as areas we can smoke, just like all the other places.

Also, as a smoker - I've always supported all the smoking restrictions, as much as they annoy me, I don't smoke (any more) inside my own home either. I'd support the ban on tobacco sales too, though - I wouldn't support making it illegal to smoke.

Isn't that kinda hypocritical?

Nope. The hardest part of quitting, for me, was not being able to leave my house without being surrounded by other people's smoke. If I did get through a night without caving and bumming one, I'd get home and have to deal with my clothes reeking of smoke. Hard to deal with when I just wanted to eat.

Smoking isn't being "banned", it's just being restricted in public areas. We already have this with alcohol. It will enable people to make clearer choices about whether to smoke or not.

Nope. The hardest part of quitting, for me, was not being able to leave my house without being surrounded by other people's smoke. If I did get through a night without caving and bumming one, I'd get home and have to deal with my clothes reeking of smoke. Hard to deal with when I just wanted to eat.

Smoking isn't being "banned", it's just being restricted in public areas. We already have this with alcohol. It will enable people to make clearer choices about whether to smoke or not.

I'm not opposed to it (smoking outdoors at places people eat) being banned. On the whole, much as I love being able to smoke just outside mcdonalds, I know it's ultimately for the best. And I agree, having quit once before, seeing people smoke everywhere is tough, that's all fine.

The part I feel is hypocritical is bitching people out for a habit you yourself once had. I doubt many smokers don't know it's bad for them, and an all around very destructive habit, and I'd be surprised if many felt particularly happy about being a smoker. So it seems kinda uncool to bitch people out for it especially when you used to be in their shoes.

By all means let me know if I'm missing something here.

Maybe that's why he quit? people do choose to smoke, ultimately.

the problem i have with people smoking outdoors at restaurants or other busy public areas, is that i know of people who have strong hypersensitive reactions to cigarette smoke 50 metres away, wont be able to breathe etc.

if you don't smoke, and you smell cigarette smoke, most people find the smell disgusting.

i think its fine to smoke outside, i just think its a bit rude to push the scent on other people.

im also against people wearing copious (even moderate) amounts of strong perfumes which contain chemicals which have the same allergic affect on hypersensitive people. (nausea, dizziness, cant breath etc)

i smoked for 2-3 years on and off, i rarely smoke any more. its like meth on some level in terms of addictive pull.

Nicotine is very addictive but what makes it worse it´s how many times you do it and for how long. Like a said it´s a pleasurable thing done thousands of time during years / decades.
I remember being used to smoke after meals, sex, films, any event would, and when you are drinking booze or coffee.

When you quit it seems something is missing, and that feeling lasts for months.
You dream about it and most people end up eating to compensate.
I rarely smoke nowadays but do appreciate Scandinavian tobacco in form of tiny patches of Snus. Not at all like Snuff.