• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Smokable "Opium" Substance from Poppy Seed Tea

BabaPapaver

Greenlighter
Swim just had their first successful experience extracting a satisfactory smokable opium product from poppy seeds using only water as a solvent. Swim has read many other accounts of attempts to do this with varying procedures and results. Swim has done similar experiments in the past which had yielded a potent substance that was edible, but not smokable. This time they added one step that made all the difference. Their procedure was as follows:
Swim took two clean half gallon mason jars, and poured three 8oz bags of Boobs Reed mill brand poppy seeds. Into each jar they squeezed half a lemon, then filled with highly filtered water to one inch from the top. Swim proceeded to shake each jar off and on for about ten minutes. When they were satisfied with the shaking, he opened the lid and placed a piece of cheesecloth over the mouth of the jar, and fastened it with a rubber band. They poured all the liquid into a pot on the stove. Swim then refilled the jars with water, and shook the jars again for 10 minutes. The pouring and refilling occurred again for a total of three rinses of the poppy seeds. When all the liquid was in the pot, swim turned the burner to medium high until the mixture came to a light boil. Swim kept the mixture boiling lightly as it reduced. When the liquid had reduced to approximately two cups of liquid, it was removed from the heat and allowed to cool for a few minutes. Here is where swim added new and crucial steps to the experiment. In the past, they had just boiled this all the way down. This time they filtered through two coffee filters. This was simply done by placing the filters over a pint jar and pouring slowly. When the filters started to get clogged, swim gently pinched the edges of the filter and gently squeezed the liquid through. What came through the filter was a clear brown liquid, and what was left in the filter was a grey paste of plant matter. Swim did a taste test to confirm that the grey matter did not contain my sought after alkaloids. Luckily there was no bitter flavor. Swim then took the clear brown liquid and continued to reduce over medium heat. Around the time the liquid had reduced to half a cup, swim could see that the liquid has become cloudy again and decided to do a second filter through coffee filters. Once again the liquid that came out was clear and brown, but thus time what was filtered out was white oily plant waxes. After this last filter swim poured the liquid into a small clean pot for a final reduction at medium heat. At this point, swim was stirring constantly with a rubber spatula to avoid burning. As the liquid became thicker and stickier, the heat was reduced to a mid/low. Now this was an experiment, so swim took some of the substance out a bit early, and cooked some down until it has almost no water left. They wish that they had cooked it all down fully, as smoking was difficult with the moisture still in there. The final product was s dark brown sticky substance that feels oily on the fingers. It highly resembled the opium swims friend had brought back from Southeast Asia.
Now, onto the fun part! Swim attempted to recreate a step they had head of in taleaditional opium preperation. They took a pea sized ball of the substance and stuck it to a small metal rod. They touched the ball to a candle flame, blackening the edges of the substance. They then twirled the substance with another rod. The flame touch and twirling was done 5 or 6 times. Swim had heard this step somehow produces a better smoke. Luckily, swim was blessed to have an opium pipe. It is the style of a long stem with a large open metal bowl. When swim first used it they made the mistake thinking they could smoke it over a candle, similar to how one would use an opium lamp. Unfortunately this just burned the substance, which destroys the medicinal chemicals. Swim then learned that this pipe is designed to be used in conjunction with a heated metal rod. So swim used a blow torch to heat a metal rod. The rod was heated until red, but then allowed to cool for a few seconds. When the rod touched the opium ball it released a large amount of vapor that was held deeply into the lungs. Success was determined by the drowsy itchy euphoria that ensued.

Thank you for reading about swims experience. They hope it helps swiy on your next endeavor. If you have any tips or questions on the process, swim would love to hear them.

Hello. My first, detailed post never made it.

Anyway, new here. How is this a troll post? Thx

I think you have a good system. My comments are that the variety of seeds you chose may not or no longer be as good? M can handle some boiling but i keep it very brief and gentle so as to keep integrity of flavor, and a softer, browned putty. End product should be gently vaped.

I have a question, as I'm still learning about tea reduction methods. I hope this is allowed. Even if cooking and reducing tea helps someone make a smaller, more transportable product, and an easier edible, that should be helpful. I'm interested in the history and process and rituals around opium, as well as the finer aestethic, romanitc qualities of it. I'd be happy to be able to discuss many of the things that have been done for hundreds, thousands of years.

Given that, what I'm learning through research and trial and error is filter, filter, filter. Gunk is bad, clear, filtered liquid good. I use warm filters through coffee filters, and cold ones. It's amazing though, how much sediment keeps settling to the bottom. Crashing. Especially when left on a gentle heat source. My pilot light is excellent for warm drying. You'd think that after 2, 3 filters, the fatty sediment would stop, but every time i go back to it, more of that tan sediment crashes under the clear, red brown liquid. (No chemicals are used at all. A very small amount of lemon juice when i shake the tea, clean tap water) My question is, what's happening here? I'm assuming the sediment has little to no value so I don't think I have any problem continuing to discard it. I'm interested in cleanliness not yield. Is it some sort of constant coagulation forming that doesn't at first make it through the filters? And, I notice this; when i tap the bowl, disrupt it quickly, it seems to almost make this sediment appear, like I'm shock crashing it manually if this makes sense. I can then slowly, carefully pour off the liquid, and leave the sediment, like decanting wine. Again, I'm not upset about what's happening, because one thing I've learned is that the primary reason most final products are poor is due to all of that gunky plant fat matter. There's much more of that than we think and rigorous filtering is what helps the most.

So far my results are giving me a much more brown, soft, playdough like substance. It's getting cleaner, isn't harsh, and has much of that floral/earthy flavor that's sort of unique and almost indescribable. I have a few more things in mind to further improve this.

Hi everyone. I don't want to keep bumping threads, I don't know if a new thread is better, but I would love to talk with some poppy tea experts about some things. I consider myself quite advanced, both research wise and practice, but it's my current fascination, and I still have some things in still trying to figure out.

There is no doubt that good seeds, properly unwashed, prepared properly, can make a very potent tea/wash. I am going to seek out pods next, it's only logical. There is no question that the tea can be very rich in alkaloids, and there's no question that the tea can be filtered and reduced. The various alkaloids are essentially the same as what would be found in traditional opium. In my trials I have switched from focusing on some smokeable puddy (I'm convinced that it should be vaporized, preferably in a quality vaporizer that takes waxes and liquids). *I am unsure of the perfect temperature to vape it, I have just started at abiut 300F and raised it to 420F. I'm also unsure about the form the morphine is in. Is it "vaporizeable" in its natural form? Or should i say, is it efficiently vaporizeable? There doesn't seem to be a consensus as to whether the morphine is better in another form, like its base. Yet, whenever we think back to the way opium has been made and smoked for centuries, they don't "convert" it. Unless heat/simmering changes it.

This leads to my next question. I hear that thebaine and other alkaloids might, might be destroyed with heat, gentle simmering, but not morphine. If this is the case, isn't all cooked opium primarily morphine and only traces of other alkaloids? If this is the case, anyone who wants a "clean" tea simply needs to bring it to a simmer, right? And filtering will just remove all the plant fats and latex gunk that has no value, and may just serve to upset the stomach. So between all this gunk and unwanted alkaloids (especially those sensitive to thebaine), drinking simmered and filtered tea should go a long way towards solving these problems?

I'm going to continue my filter/reduce, repeat, repeat methods, both with water and everclear, I'm going to keep improving my methods, but I'm now focusing my efforts on a tincture. My first attempts are very successful. A few squirts of this filtered, simmered concentrate are giving a cleaner, morphine dominated feel. I like it better than tea. It is this "laudanum" I'm looking for. And i have ideas of making it really good, but here's my last question. How much can reasonably be "squeezed" into say, 1 fluid oz? This is back to the question of "what form" the morphine is in, and "soluability". I might be off in my thinking that there is some saturation point beyond which it can't be reduced?

Here's what I'm working on: a combination of a filtered, reduced, decanted alcohol/cfo and a separate filtered, reduced, decanted water reduction (to like, runny syrups), combining them and gently melting in chunks of the cleanest putty I can make, filter that, and there's the tincture. Perhaps the consistency of motor oil, and with everclear used in one part of the process, it could end up being 15-20% alcohol. This would allow it to be preserved and even further flavored. I'm considering some brandy too.

I dont want to break rules, but I'd love to hear from more advanced players in this with solid knowledge. Nature gave us all that we need and I'm just looking to work with nature, maximize its benefits, reduce as much harm as possible, educate, and be happy.

Words can't express how thrilled I am with the results, and it can only get better. This 3x combo tincture is fantastic. I thought it would be this thick/oily thing bit it's more like a tan/dark red milky substance. I ended up with about 8 pounds of seeds to make this 1 fluid oz. tincture. I have no problem even doubling the amount if it can be done. The possibility of putting as little as 1 squirt into a cup of coffee or tea, or grapefruit juice, of being able to carry a week to a months supply in one convenient little dropper bottle, that's a game changer.

Gotta bump this one more time. I'm thrilled, but i get it too. "Worth it" is subjective but it is a bit of a pain in the ass, and a bit of a waste. I did learn something though.

I was happy doing a double reduction, reducing and filtering the tea to putty, and then using an Everclear soak, again reducing the liquid to putty. This gave more of an evil black tar substance that worked, but it lacked one more something.

I took this "Everclear tar", mixed it with hot water, and filtered and reduced one final time. Similar looking black tar, just about 20% less. And it was excellent. I really feel it and i have moderate tolerance. It is not only legit, it's strong.

But. It took 5 cups of seeds, 3 reductions, and lots of filtering to get maybe not even .5g of final substance. I mixed it with a tiny amount of weed and smoke/vaped it gently for about 5 good hits. Sticky as all hell, and it melted/ran a bit/smoked. Is this worth it? Sure, why not. It's a very effective opium experience. But, that's also 5 doses of tea in that. And a couple of days of some work.

But, i learned that it's absolutely real. Also, since this was an extra 5 cups of seeds and an experiment, i simmered it all through the process. I didn't rapid boil, but no super gentle heating either. I went for it straight up in the boil range. I don't have testing equipment, but my conclusion is that no, boiling does not destroy the alkaloids. It may not even degrade them much if at all.

Maybe try using paraffin wax at some point to remove the waxes before continuing to filter. Supposedly melting it into the tea, then cooling it until the wax rehardens and removing the hardened wax removes that plant lipids.

It was a different feel. Each method has a different feel. Tea is like a long pot brownie. A tincture is kind of trippy and a little like snorting H. This was more of a punch, and reninded me of when i got morphine iv post surgery. I got slightly nauseous too. ROA aside it felt like if i were to eat about 75-100mg. of morphine plus the bit of codeine. Or the power equivalent of snorting 60mg. of oxy but not as wirey. I have a moderate tolerance, i can handle 60+ mg of oxy or 2-3 bags of h sniffed. I dont iv.

Cool whip. ;)

I did ice olation too and i have done wax filtering. This is on top of coffee filters, decanting, etc. But here's what I've learned: no matter how much filtering is done of the initial tea, the ethanol cleans up so much it's almost shocking. It crashes what i assume is all this debris, proteins, waxes, etc. It does such a good job that i wonder if it really matters if the initial tea is filtered 3 times or 10.

I should add (i can't edit from phone) that i get good seeds that i would say ranges around 75-100mg.+ of morphine per pound. 1 cup of seeds is nice. 2 cups and I'm quite high.

I've crudely verified this doing reverse math when making tincture. The dropper (10ml) equivalent seems to translate into the seeds being around 100mg. per pound. I feel as if i lose hardly anything in my tincture recipe, the biggest loss in making the opium was in that final water soak/filter. At some point you're dealing with sludge no matter what you do, there appears to ne some logical saturation points or whatever. There's no way that i smoked 200mg. of morphine in my .5g of tar. I suppose biavailability could be poor enough that it's possible i lost 20, 40%

One thing is clear. I now feel very comfortable gently simmering the tea for a few hours instead of some sort of 24-72 hour air dry. The claim thst morphine is destroyed at around 100c (212f) is simply not true. I've even boiled tea for a few minutes and drank it with zero loss in feel. Tincture made from constant simmering is exactly the same as trying to keep it at 80c. Granted, im not going to roll boil it, im still going to be gentle with the simmer, but i am completely confident in these higher temps.

It only lasted a couple of hours, that makes sense. Even though i did that slow vape thing by gently touching the flame to it (glass pipe), im interested in trying it in my vaporizer.

Yes. There are no chemicals going on (im even water washing the resulting everclear reduction even though im not worried about that even if i didn't), and it is just as orally active as the original tea. I've had heavily filtered, simmered tea, droppers of the everclear wash, and I've eaten various puttys by melting them in to a tincture. The only thing i haven't done is cram it into some sort of capsule. It is really sticky. And it has this quality, i think hygromorphic or something, where it just doesn't seem to dry. It absorbs moisture from the air and will remain gooey. Like glue that never dries. I suppose one answer might be to put it in an oven at a very low temp and try to really drive all the moisture out.

It may come on a bit faster, and due to simmering it might have less codeine and other lesser alkaloids. I find tincture to be complete, but it has a cleaner, morphine dominant feel.

Ive never had poppies before but they might come in handy, Where can i learn about them and source?

You mean like, growing the flower? There's lots of information out there in tetms of history, botany, etc. That's not the part of it i know much about. I've only ordered seeds. Seeds are legal and then it gets into at least grey area. But spend some time looking around you'll find good stuff.

even though poppies and/or their seeds are legal its still not really allowed due to the sourcing rules.
my advice - google is your friend (that, and drugs are bad.)

Last edited:
I used to go into (not sourcing dudes), my localish indo/asian store.

If 4 kg bags of unwashed seeds don't do it... Well, meh, there's many cheaper sources to be found ??