• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin smiling and spurts of laughter while withdrawing? does this happen to anybody else?

bananacrayon

Greenlighter
Alright, this is my first post, i tried finding something similar, but... i know this may sound totally ridiculous, but when im at the second day of heroin withdrawal i cant wipe a stupid smile off of my face and i get inappropriately long bursts of laughter at things that dont deserve such gusto. i still have all the terrible, terrible other tidbits that come with withdrawal, but i do this shit smiling. WHY AM I SMILING SO HARD? If anybody has any idea why this happens or if it happens to you please tell me about it, I'm very curious, and i look ridiculous. thanks.=D=D=D=D

Probably related to emotional reaction to the withdrawal process. Possibly lack of nutrients/vitamins/minerals, dehydration, malnutrition all together as well? I have no idea to be honest.

yes I get that too. on opiates you are suppressing the more playful side of your personality, so it swings the other way in withdrawal and you get the giggles (at times, when not wishing you were dead) and sometimes laugh so hard it hurts. it's a kind of mania, and I don't think everyone's prone to it. it's definitely my favourite withdrawal symptom, though it drives my girlfriend crazy. you will even out over time.

Ah well I am well enough nourished, but it never occoured to me that its sort of a mania. I thought I was just batshit crazy. Usually I'm wishing I was dead and smiling about it, but there are those moments, teeeny weenie moments, when I am caught up in laughter, that withdrawls are forgotten. Lucky me. Lucky us I guess. Though I am interested in other peoples thoughts and ideas on this occourence.

Last edited:
Yes this happens to my girlfriend and I... when we're withdrawing off of opiates we laugh at the stupidest things because we (both physically and mentally/spiritually) are getting less and less numb. It's kind of like in rehabs when people are getting off of opiates together they tend to act like 3rd or 4th graders when in a group... They're VERY immature, they laugh at inappropriate times, and overall they don't act like themselves or their age. This "phenomenon" is related to the changes felt from opiate detox. So no, you're not alone or crazy.

Ha ha, I thought I was the only one who got this. I remember a night spent up all night kicking my legs, crying and laughing hysterically. I felt like a madman. I was NOT happy but everything was so frighteningly funny. Only got this from m-done withdrawal though.

This happens to me sometimes during withdrawal. I personally think it has to do with the serotonin and dopamine levels rising and coming back to baseline. I could be totally wrong though.

All sorts of feelings are intensified when withdrawing from heroin. Esp the bad ones.

I remember last time I kicked, I walked outside of day 3. I was punched in the face with the smell of ketchup. I looked maybe 50-60 yards away across the street and saw a ketchup packet. Then an ambulance drove by and I almost fell to the ground covering my ears it was so loud.

Ah well I am well enough nourished, but it never occoured to me that its sort of a mania. I thought I was just batshit crazy. Usually I'm wishing I was dead and smiling about it, but there are those moments, teeeny weenie moments, when I am caught up in laughter, that withdrawls are forgotten. Lucky me. Lucky us I guess. Though I am interested in other peoples thoughts and ideas on this occourence.

I would try taking some antihistamines and work on exercising (maybe take the antihistamines after exercising). Anything to try to "live out" the mania before it starts mentally disturbing you is a good idea. :)

I don't experience much mania, especially since I have PTSD, but whenever I have manic impulses I have to try to kill off the excessive energy before it becomes an all-consuming compulsive drive to start everything and finish nothing.

All sorts of feelings are intensified when withdrawing from heroin. Esp the bad ones.

I remember last time I kicked, I walked outside of day 3. I was punched in the face with the smell of ketchup. I looked maybe 50-60 yards away across the street and saw a ketchup packet. Then an ambulance drove by and I almost fell to the ground covering my ears it was so loud.

Yeah this is kind of what the worst parts of the withdrawal are like, where everything is overwhelmingly intense.

Maybe your just so happy cause your body knows it's getting clean from something. I've found in the past during w.d that if I smoke bud I'll be happier than usual. It doesn't last forever tho

lol I get this too, in between wanting to kill myself occasionaly ill get giddy/manic, I think about how I am in fucking hell and how hopeless my situation is and there is nothing i can do about it and it just makes me laugh at how powerless i am, but yea jsut laughing at things in general, I think its because we have dulled/hid our emotions for so long with the opiates, like im on methadone now and before when i was doing opiates reguralry, I have lost all sense of humor and most emotion, i never laugh anymore or even smile, it makes me think that if I could make it through the hell of WD it would be worth it to get those happy feelings back again. Im doing great on methadone but it would be nice to feel feelings again.

would laughing during w.d be bad? I find it hard to laugh when I'm exhausted at 2 30am but can't fall asleep at all so shit enjoy it

hahahaha^^^. Yes, laughing while in w/d's will only make it worse..... Of course laughing wont make the pain of w.d's any worse.. I have to say though that I'm quite the opposite when im feeling like shit and have no drugs.

Everyone I know is the same way as me: Dont wanna talk to anyone except the d boy and if someone says the wrong thing, they will for sure get snapped at.

I take it the OP isn't a heavy user but in time the w.d's will get worse and it will be no laughing matter lol. This is just my opinion, more power to ya if laughing makes you feel better or takes your mind off of having no drugz.

well for me at least it is just an uncontrollable urge to laugh, and i don't even laugh at anything particular, and this only happens for like 5 seconds and then its back to seriuosly contemplating suicide, its just cause your brain and emotions have been dulled so long that you get these manic bursts of energy which makes me laugh and do this thing where i like flap my arms with my hands loose so they jiggle around and make this noise as my fingers hit each other, IDK how to explain it haha just cause I get this huge burst of energy so I need to do something to release it.

When my fiancée and I kicked the H in the ass about 3 months ago it was literally the best time I've had while feeling like complete shit, in my entire life. Never laughed so hard... unless on Lucy, mush', or Mesc. But those are "good" drugs IMO, and Heroin, or any opiate, used regularly and without reason, are "bad" drugs IME. 3 months clean and still laughing and crying a lot. More laughing though, lol. I'd say it's natural suppression of emotions while high, and that trying to come out when just feeling reality. Stay clean, or use in moderation, not possible for most but I did have a friend use H after 4 months clean and didn't go cop again. I hope to have the willpower to do that one day. I have the self control for every other drug, but Heroin is a different beast... to say the least. Take care.

Wow OP thats just plain unusual, being giddy for no good reason during day 2 wd.. huh. Day 2 usually my wd peak

When I enter w/d I experience strong giddiness and laugh so, so much at the smallest things...this is how I know withdrawal is kicking in. Once it passes, I am overcome with extreme depression!

I always felt it was my brain's last ditch attempt to be happy!

Yes! Finally someone else that experiences this phenomenon. When I'm dopesick I feel like death, look like shit, and laugh at everything. It's this kind of nervous giddy energy. A friend of mine gets this as well.

This happened to me once early on in Methadone withdrawal (day 2) after I got kicked out of one clinic and was waiting to be started in another one.

I was in the fetal position, writhing on the floor, maniacally laughing and thinking "And I did this to myself ? How absurd"

It makes sense as everything that happens in withdrawal actually stimulates the production of endorphins, laughter being one of them.