• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Small amounts of formate counterion as amine salt, biologically acceptable?

Limpet_Chicken

Bluelighter
Quick question

There is a modest amount of 2C-D available, that at the time, had to be prepared from the base as the formate salt.
Would the quantity of formate in 100-200mg (at most) of said 2C-D prove harmful in vivo? for the reason that the owner of said 2C-D wishes to avoid mechanical losses during rebasing, washing and re-salting.

The total quantity of formate would of course be miniscule, and no formaldehyde would be involved since this is not akin to MeOH toxicity. Mainly asking because of the comparison to same. But in methanol poisoning, it is the formaldehhyde created by aldehyde dehydrogenase that makes methanol as toxic as is and in the manner that it is, is it not?

Such a small quantity of formate as would be absorbed from say, 100-150 to at most 200mg 2C-D- formate salt should not cause any biological problems, should it not?

that at the time, had to be prepared from the base as the formate salt.

Out of all the possible counterions, why formate?

Anyway, wiki sez:
Formic acid has low toxicity (hence its use as a food additive), with an LD50 of 1.8 g/kg (oral, mice). [...] Formic acid is readily metabolized and eliminated by the body.

It's apparently used as a preservative for silage given to livestock? So by that logic I'd say that ingesting 50mg of formic acid in total as a counterion for 2c-d is not gonna kill you.

Formic acid/formaldehyde are indeed the toxic metabolites of methyl alcohol, however it's a different scenario when you make those in your liver vs ingest them in your stomach. And I'm not sure that formic acid would be able to be reduced to formaldehyde or anything.

Formate is toxic because it inhibits the enzyme cytochrome c oxidase. However, the amount of formate counterion you are talking about is negligable.

Thought so.

As for why formate, would have diluted down GAA, but there was an unfortunate incident a while back, when some fucking prick did a runner with a considerable quantity of supplies, and lab glass which financial constraints have necessitated replacing piecemeal. That was not one of the first. Had to go with what was to hand.

At least it is some small consolation knowing what the lil' fucker will have had to go through when he got to opening a few of those containers however. Thankfully the glass is replaced. And the sticky fingered shithead...well he probably hasn't got fingers anymore, sticky or otherwise. Never thought I'd LIKE the pyrophoric tendencies of LAH. But in that case, I'll make an exception. Was some time ago now, but the thought of what will have happened when certain unmarked containers, that one included, were opened and in the midst of what most of the rest of the reagents stolen were like. Lets just say I'm still laughing at the karmic backlash that thieving shit will have experienced. Just glad I wasn't still in the room at the time.