Slow Bulk

nuttynutskin

Bluelighter
I've been training for about a month and a half since I started back and I've put about 10-12lbs on already. That would average about 1.7-2lbs a week. Obviously it's going to fluctuate week by week, but for the purpose of this thread would that be a good rate for a slow bulk? Right now my main focus is getting my base back and getting stronger, but I would like to keep my weight steadily increasing as well as my lifts. If all goes as planned I'll probably hit more of an actual hardcore bulk next fall/winter.

BTW I'm natural, but I figured this would be the best place to post since there isn't a general workout section.

Congratulations, great progress. Actually that's quite a fast rate for a natural slow bulk. How many lbs are you trying to recover to reach your previous level?

Do you get your bodyfat tested/use calipers? This would be probably more helpful than just going by weight, since your goal is LBM gain rather than mass per se.

What do you do to keep your insulin sensitivity high? Do you incorporate cardio/HIIT/intermittent fasting/carb cycling at all?

Congratulations, great progress. Actually that's quite a fast rate for a natural slow bulk. How many lbs are you trying to recover to reach your previous level?

Thanks... I don't really have a set weight right now, but to put things in perspective at my peak strength wise I was hovering in between 175-180lbs 4 years ago at 5 foot 7. Since then things went downhill lifting wise and in other regards, and at the lowest of my low after being sick for about a month, not eating right and problems with alcoholism I found myself at an emaciated 130lbs. That was about 2 months ago. So in the long run I would like to get back to 170+ but leaner, but for now I'm just happy to be getting stronger and putting weight on.

Do you get your bodyfat tested/use calipers? This would be probably more helpful than just going by weight, since your goal is LBM gain rather than mass per se.

No, I'm not really that scientific about it lol. And in all honestly while I would like to minimize fat gain, I don't really care about a little bit of fat along with muscle because I know that when my weight goes up so do my lifts.

What do you do to keep your insulin sensitivity high? Do you incorporate cardio/HIIT/intermittent fasting/carb cycling at all?

I don't really know about insulin sensitivity, but no... I don't really do anything fancy, just work out for about 2 hours 3 times a week.

Right now I'd say find your maintenance calories and add 300 calories a day. That way you minimize anything excessive in fat gain and it should be slow building quality and will prevent spilling over in your overall look, keeps things tighter. If you notice you start getting fat, adjust your diet, same for if not gaining weight.

Not a typo. As you're natural your leeway of fat gain vs muscle gain is a lot less.. You could go up to 500cals extra per day but then I feel the fat gain isn't worth it. That's my view on it anyway. For me, I went from cutting with about 2200/calories back to maintenence and blew the fuck up. Veins and fullness everywhere.

I don't really know about insulin sensitivity, but no... I don't really do anything fancy, just work out for about 2 hours 3 times a week.

Throw in some cardio man! ;) Just 2-3 times a week is easily achieved. Not only is it healthy in every way imaginable, for your heart, cardiovascular system, for fat-loss, for conditioning, for angiogenesis (new blood vessels), superior hormone regulation, joint function etc etc etc, it will also help keep you insulin sensitive, which will improve your gains (and health) long-term.

Not a typo. As you're natural your leeway of fat gain vs muscle gain is a lot less.. You could go up to 500cals extra per day but then I feel the fat gain isn't worth it. That's my view on it anyway. For me, I went from cutting with about 2200/calories back to maintenence and blew the fuck up. Veins and fullness everywhere.

Shit, I'd be obese in no time. Even when I got up to about 180lbs I was probably only taking in 4000 calories or so.

Throw in some cardio man! ;) Just 2-3 times a week is easily achieved. Not only is it healthy in every way imaginable, for your heart, cardiovascular system, for fat-loss, for conditioning, for angiogenesis (new blood vessels), superior hormone regulation, joint function etc etc etc, it will also help keep you insulin sensitive, which will improve your gains (and health) long-term.

Yeah, I will once I put on some more mass. I do ride my bike and will be doing more of that this summer.