• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Sizzurp: What is it and why are so many celebrities getting hooked on it?

poledriver

Bluelighter
Sizzurp: What is it and why are so many celebrities getting hooked on it?

968484-810fec74-fda8-11e3-9463-539ac6ca705b.jpg

IT’S the purple drink that has been dangerously glamorised by celebrities and romanticised in rap lyrics and Hollywood types are increasingly getting hooked on it.

Sizzurp, as it’s become popularly known, is now the beverage of choice for the hip hop community, made by mixing prescription-strength cough syrup which soft drink such as Sprite and a Jolly Rancher candy for “extra sweetness”.

The purplish hue of the berry flavoured cough syrup has seen it become known as “Purple Drank” as well as “Lean” and “Syrup”.

When consumed in large amounts, the active ingredients in prescription cough syrup — codeine, a narcotic, and promethazine, an antihistamine — interact with each another to produce a dazed, sleepy effect with an induced high.

But far from being a harmless party drink, the codeine in sizzurp makes it highly addictive and comes with a host of serious side effects such as a slowed heartbeat, shallow breathing, blurred vision, agitation and hallucinations.

968566-fbec0032-fda7-11e3-9463-539ac6ca705b.jpg

Rapper Soulja Boy shows off his “double cup” which is likely to contain Sizzurp in an Instagram post. Source: Instagram

968538-fb568fac-fda7-11e3-9463-539ac6ca705b.jpg

Soulja Boy uploaded this photo of the cough syrup used to make the drink on Instagram. Source: Instagram

Overnight, pictures emerged of Rob Kardashian reportedly surrounded by cups which appeared to be containing Sizzurp.

The pictures showed the remnants of a purple liquid in one cup, with another labelled with “Codeine Boys”.

The liquid was contained in a large styrofoam “double cup” which is typically used by most Sizzurp drinkers.

Earlier this year, concerns were raised for Justin Bieber after a Sheriff’s search of his Calabasas home, found four or five empty codeine bottles and various styrofoam double cups.

968676-0a259516-fdab-11e3-9463-539ac6ca705b.jpg

Justin Bieber was reportedly using Sizzurp. Source: Splash News Australia

968594-0920e15c-fdab-11e3-9463-539ac6ca705b.jpg

Rob Kardashian’s family are reportedly considering an intervention. Source: Splash News Australia

Earlier in the year, TMZ reported Justin Bieber was possibly addicted to sizzurp, using a combination of “prometh with codeine cough syrup at a cost of $800 per pint, which is “considered top of the line for this kind of substance”.

The website also reported that when Bieber is partying hard, he “drinks eight to 12 ounces of the stuff”, equivalent to a full soft drink can of cough syrup.

In May, they reported Bieber was off the codeine cocktail after “months of downing sizzurp like it’s his job”.

The American Medical Association is becoming increasingly concerned about the abuse of cough syrup and the proliferation of use among American teenagers.

Jose Martinez, a Drug Enforcement Administration special agent, told the L.A. Times that while the cough syrup is a prescription-only controlled substance, its recreational use is widespread.

“It is not uncommon to see large quantities of the controlled substance being sold and transported,” Mr Martinez told the paper.

DEA officials added that the syrup is usually obtained by doctor shopping, forged prescriptions and pharmacy theft.

In April this year, pharmaceutical company Actavis announced they will cease production of the prescription cough syrup due to its association with sizzurp.
The company fears the celebrity glorification of their product had led to its abuse.

968799-fc7f326c-fda7-11e3-9463-539ac6ca705b.jpg

968758-2dc138b6-fda8-11e3-9463-539ac6ca705b.jpg

Soulja Boy also uploaded this picture of the cough syrup and a suspicious plant matter. Source: Instagram

Rapper Soulja Boy regularly posts photos of Actavis bottles on his Instagram, including one picture of six bottles lined up just days after the ban saying: “Soulja got the juice. They say the streets dry.

I say you gotta be kiddin me. I serve everybody.”

A representative for Actavis told TMZ: “Given [recent media attention], Actavis has made the bold and unprecedented decision to cease all production and sales of its Promethazine Codeine product.

“This attention has glamorised the unlawful and dangerous use of the product, which is contrary to its approved indication.”

The product is not believed to be sold in Australia.

Sizzurp originated in Houston in the 1960s when blues musicians would drink Robitussin mixed with beer.

By the 1980s and 1990s the formula changed to using codeine promethazine cough syrup mixed with flavoured soda such as Sprite and Jolly Ranchers and gained popularity in the underground rap scene.

Recent references to the drug via social media, lyrics and music videos has seen it spread to mainstream teenagers and college kids who’ve heard it mentioned in hip-hop and rap music.

Three 6 Mafia, who won as Oscar for their song It’s Hard Out Here For A Pimp, released a song called Sippin’ on Some Sizzurp in 2000.

Far East Movement also reverenced the band and the drink in their 2010 mega-hit Like a G6 in the lyrics “sippin sizzurp in my ride, like Three 6”.

While Lil Wayne who has spoken liberally of his weakness for the beverage told an audience back in 2008 that sizzurp is part of the culture in the South.

967429-fd334720-fda7-11e3-9463-539ac6ca705b.jpg

Rapper Lil Wayne hasn’t been shy about his use of Sizzurp. Source: Splash News Australia

“I’m purple drank forever,” he rapped in last year’s Turn On the Lights.

Wayne suffered multiple seizures in 2013 which some media outlets reported was a direct result of his addiction to a potent cough-syrup mixture.

The drink has claimed many prominent victims in the rap community including

DJ Screw, who popularised the drink in the early 1990s through his music, died of a codeine-promethazine-alcohol overdose on in November 2000 after the video to Three 6 Mafia’s single debuted.

Big Moe, whose albums City of Syrup and Purple World were based on the drink, also died of a heart attack in 2007, with speculation it may have been caused by the drink.

968981-0e322038-fdac-11e3-9463-539ac6ca705b.jpg

Anna Nicole Smith's former bodyguard Maurice "Big Moe" was also a recording artist who released two albums which referenced the addictive drink. Source: Splash News Australia

Influential hip-hop figure Pimp C who recorded an ode to getting high off the cough medicine called Sippin’ On Some Sizzurp died in 2007 “due to promethazine/codeine effects and other unestablished factors.”

Dr George Fallieras, an emergency room physician at Los Angeles’ good Samaritan Hospital told the L.A. Times that despite the warnings the drug was relatively harmless when used in appropriate quantities.

“This is a very common cough syrup that, when taken in appropriately prescribed quantities, is quite safe.”

“But the amount of codeine these guys ingest with the syrup is massive ... It’s just the same as someone being addicted to heroin, except they’re not using needles.”

968906-0ef54d10-fdac-11e3-9463-539ac6ca705b.jpg

Soulja Boy uploaded this picture onto Instagram of his “stash” of cough syrup after the company announced they will no longer produce it. Source: Instagram

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...ing-hooked-on-it/story-fnk822dn-1226968969009

What's the point of the double cup? Does it serve some sort of purpose or is it just a way to show off you are drinking sizzurp?

What's the point of the double cup? Does it serve some sort of purpose or is it just a way to show off you are drinking sizzurp?

the double cup signifies a lot of things though i don't know any of them:(

I'm sorry, you can't get high off any amount of codeine if it's combined with twice or three or four times as much promethazine. if anything you'd be getting high off the promethazinne...

I'm sorry, you can't get high off any amount of codeine if it's combined with twice or three or four times as much promethazine. if anything you'd be getting high off the promethazinne...

This. The whole thing is fucking absurd - by the time you've taken enough codeine to get even a mild high for an opiate naive person, you've taken enough promethazine to knock you out.

I watched a video once of people making this ''sizzurp'' and they added like 3 or 4 spoonfuls... they're just getting fucked up on antihistamines. What a joke.

It's pretty hard to believe that any of these celebrities are actually addicted to "sizzurp," given the easy access they certainly have to whatever drug they can think of.

It's pretty hard to believe that any of these celebrities are actually addicted to "sizzurp," given the easy access they certainly have to whatever drug they can think of.

It's just an image thing.

Yup. Its popular. Is that shit really 8 bills an oz?? I mean ppl actually pay that? Lol good god, I could buy like ten grams of fire dope for that. Also I don't know why actavis just doest change the formula like male it a diff flavor or put serving bitter in it so u can only take the recommended dose.

Pfft. Grow up and start popping oxy/shooting heroin!

I only had codeine-promethazine syrup once (when I was very sick with bronchitis), but I didn't see what all the fuss was about...that was kind of before I "got into drugs", though. Later on one of my friends had a pretty bad accident and was given hydrocodone syrup at the ER, some of which he gave to me, and that stuff was actually pretty damn good IMO.

They were obsessed with that crap down in Texas though, or at least they were when I lived down there a few years back. Some sort of cultural thing from hip-hop I guess.

You're a snot rich celebrity with access to any drug in the world, and you buy cough syrup..absurd.. This phenomenon must be overly sensationalized

I love promethazine - I take it for sleep & 10mg will allow me a deep sleep when I'd otherwise be sleeping fitfully or suffering insomnia. But the shit simply does not get you high in any sense of the word. It's just a case of about an hour after taking it I yawn and feel an honest, genuine sense of tiredness and I can go to bed. When I heard about this I''d always assumed they were using get "high" dose of codeine and promethazine to potentate the buzz - but just drinking cough syrup seems utterly retarded.

Pfft. Grow up and start popping oxy/shooting heroin!

I only had codeine-promethazine syrup once (when I was very sick with bronchitis), but I didn't see what all the fuss was about...that was kind of before I "got into drugs", though. Later on one of my friends had a pretty bad accident and was given hydrocodone syrup at the ER, some of which he gave to me, and that stuff was actually pretty damn good IMO.

They were obsessed with that crap down in Texas though, or at least they were when I lived down there a few years back. Some sort of cultural thing from hip-hop I guess.

Hi Burnt Offerings. Did you know what the word "Holocaust" means? Burnt Offering. Nice handle :)

Oh and btw, I prefer my syurp mixed with cherry 7up, not sprite 8)

I had an epiphany today about the etymology of the term lean. I think it's a [deceptively dangerous!] diminutive of nod. Someone earlier in this thread implied that this stuff is basically "Heroin Lite" for people who are willing to tolerate the cheapened effect and inflated price for the lower stigma. I can imagine some dealer early on trying to turn on an opiate-phobic noob with some semantic bullshit like, "It doesn't make you nod, man, just lean a little."

You know, it really amazes me that codeine cough syrup (combo'd with any other drug) is still even prescribed. No, I'll take it a step further -- I'm amazed codeine is still a part of modern pharmacopiæ. It's an all-around mediocre drug in every regard. I was taught that hard evidence of its efficacy as an antitussive is lean (hardy har har) and inconclusive -- a charge leveled at DXM too, for that matter. It's not a good painkiller either -- the acetaminophen in Tylenol Nos. 3&4 is responsible for more of the analgesic effect than the codeine is. Yes, I'm aware that codeine is actually a prodrug that's converted into morphine in vivo, and morphine does have demonstrated antitussive and analgesic effects. But the conversion is low-yield in the vast majority of people, and the rate is limited by saturation of the enzyme involved. Meanwhile as an adequate analgesia-producing dose is being titrated, the peripheral side effects of the codeine itself begin to rival the pain being treated in unpleasantness, at least for most people.

A pain doctor who taught a guest lecture at my medical school said that he thinks acetaminophen-codeine is something of a marketing gimmick. The dose of codeine contained in these pills (and whatever paltry amount of it your body makes into morphine), according to him, is just sufficient to produce a noticeable but tolerable effect profile that tricks the patient, especially one who's not opiate-naive, into thinking he's more medicated than he really is. In other words it's nearly a placebo effect -- the actual direct contribution of codeine to the combo's analgesia is small. It's the patient and his thought processes that supply most of the extra analgesia; he feels the dry mouth, the itching and flushing, the yawning and sighing, the slight queasiness, wooziness, and bound-up gut, and feels analgesia because he expects to feel analgesia. A lot more medicines and compounding bases taste bitter, woody, and rooty than actually need to, and more smell like camphor, wintergreen, or chemical solvents than is necessary. They're made that way not only to deter children and pets, but because people put a little more faith in remedies they've suffered for, mildly.

As for codeine-promethazine, I'm very sure promethazine can hold its own just fine as an antitussive, because all anticholinergics are effective antitussives, antiemetics, and gut motility slowers by their basic pharmacology. I don't feel like looking this up right now, but I'd bet money promethazine is a better antitussive than codeine, assuming safe and generally well-tolerated doses of each, and as with acetaminophen, I bet combo-ing the two doesn't offer dramatic gains above and beyond promethazine alone. I think the main thing codeine adds to a cough syrup is a slowed breathing rate, and therefore fewer chances to trigger coughs. It probably adds a good bit of sedation, too, to that afforded by anticholinergics, allowing the cougher to more readily fall back asleep after a violent coughing fit. This can work against you, though, much like treating the wrong kind of diarrhea with loperamide -- people with unhealthy lungs (or bodies overall) who are less likely to cough out infected secretions are more likely to trap the germs there and develop pneumonia. For people with asthma or COPD, or people with swallowing problems who can aspirate, the last thing they need is to have their gag and cough reflexes centrally shut off. Then they go septic with pneumonia, and can't increase their respiratory rate to blow off all the excess CO2 their body is producing, and can't hold up their blood pressure because the opiates have vasodilated them.

If this Sizzurp trend continues, I could see codeine cough medicines being phased out industry-wide, or at least undergoing some rigorous testing. People with serious pain on inspiration associated with a disease process that makes them cough would be better off with low doses of morphine sulphate orally or oxycodone -- skip right past that piss-weak codeine, and get all the antitussive action you need in one stroke! For people with respiratory problems that make them cough that don't involve much pain, albuterol, steroids, anticholinergics, and warm moist fresh air (read: lay off the cigarettes!) are usually sufficient. I see people with a cough in the office every day I'm there, and I can count on one hand the number of times I prescribed codeine in the past year. I'm sure not missing this stuff.

^ You've got a point there. Codeine was the first opioid I got hooked on and believe me that when I was opioid-naive or had low tolerance, it was getting me much more high than later high doses of morphine or heroin could and it had a much more peaceful high, but when I started injecting 400-450mg of codeine intramuscularly, it had much more side effects than morphine or heroin cause giving a much more stronger effect. I can't understand why is everyone in the US so doubting that you can get addicted to codeine? Where I live, there are no medications with hydrocodone, oxycodone, hydromorphone, and oxymorphone, and morphine is available only for special prescriptions, so it makes it hard to get. I'm sure that the reasons for taking codeine are different in the US (like lower stigma for sure), but where people can't get stronger drugs easily, they take codeine. It's OTC here with paracetamol up to 20mg/300mg, so you get the picture. For God's sake, if people in Russia could inject crocodile, then it's no wonder that people all around the world use codeine when they can't get morphine or heroin. I'm sure that many of them would switch to either if they could get it easily.

And why do I have a weird feeling that it all comes from glorifying heroin? "I'm taking heroin and you take weak codeine, I'm better than you" - wake up...

Im with the many other people in this thread. Seriously? All the money in the world and i would believe access to quality drugs of any kind...and they choose to get high off shit drugs?

I feel like our bluelighter brains just work different, like i just assume all people research the drugs they are going to be consuming, what else is out there...etc. But so many people are just completely ignorant it absolutely amazes me.

I had an epiphany today about the etymology of the term lean. I think it's a [deceptively dangerous!] diminutive of nod. Someone earlier in this thread implied that this stuff is basically "Heroin Lite" for people who are willing to tolerate the cheapened effect and inflated price for the lower stigma. I can imagine some dealer early on trying to turn on an opiate-phobic noob with some semantic bullshit like, "It doesn't make you nod, man, just lean a little."

You know, it really amazes me that codeine cough syrup (combo'd with any other drug) is still even prescribed. No, I'll take it a step further -- I'm amazed codeine is still a part of modern pharmacopiæ. It's an all-around mediocre drug in every regard. I was taught that hard evidence of its efficacy as an antitussive is lean (hardy har har) and inconclusive -- a charge leveled at DXM too, for that matter. It's not a good painkiller either -- the acetaminophen in Tylenol Nos. 3&4 is responsible for more of the analgesic effect than the codeine is. Yes, I'm aware that codeine is actually a prodrug that's converted into morphine in vivo, and morphine does have demonstrated antitussive and analgesic effects. But the conversion is low-yield in the vast majority of people, and the rate is limited by saturation of the enzyme involved. Meanwhile as an adequate analgesia-producing dose is being titrated, the peripheral side effects of the codeine itself begin to rival the pain being treated in unpleasantness, at least for most people.

A pain doctor who taught a guest lecture at my medical school said that he thinks acetaminophen-codeine is something of a marketing gimmick. The dose of codeine contained in these pills (and whatever paltry amount of it your body makes into morphine), according to him, is just sufficient to produce a noticeable but tolerable effect profile that tricks the patient, especially one who's not opiate-naive, into thinking he's more medicated than he really is. In other words it's nearly a placebo effect -- the actual direct contribution of codeine to the combo's analgesia is small. It's the patient and his thought processes that supply most of the extra analgesia; he feels the dry mouth, the itching and flushing, the yawning and sighing, the slight queasiness, wooziness, and bound-up gut, and feels analgesia because he expects to feel analgesia. A lot more medicines and compounding bases taste bitter, woody, and rooty than actually need to, and more smell like camphor, wintergreen, or chemical solvents than is necessary. They're made that way not only to deter children and pets, but because people put a little more faith in remedies they've suffered for, mildly.

As for codeine-promethazine, I'm very sure promethazine can hold its own just fine as an antitussive, because all anticholinergics are effective antitussives, antiemetics, and gut motility slowers by their basic pharmacology. I don't feel like looking this up right now, but I'd bet money promethazine is a better antitussive than codeine, assuming safe and generally well-tolerated doses of each, and as with acetaminophen, I bet combo-ing the two doesn't offer dramatic gains above and beyond promethazine alone. I think the main thing codeine adds to a cough syrup is a slowed breathing rate, and therefore fewer chances to trigger coughs. It probably adds a good bit of sedation, too, to that afforded by anticholinergics, allowing the cougher to more readily fall back asleep after a violent coughing fit. This can work against you, though, much like treating the wrong kind of diarrhea with loperamide -- people with unhealthy lungs (or bodies overall) who are less likely to cough out infected secretions are more likely to trap the germs there and develop pneumonia. For people with asthma or COPD, or people with swallowing problems who can aspirate, the last thing they need is to have their gag and cough reflexes centrally shut off. Then they go septic with pneumonia, and can't increase their respiratory rate to blow off all the excess CO2 their body is producing, and can't hold up their blood pressure because the opiates have vasodilated them.

If this Sizzurp trend continues, I could see codeine cough medicines being phased out industry-wide, or at least undergoing some rigorous testing. People with serious pain on inspiration associated with a disease process that makes them cough would be better off with low doses of morphine sulphate orally or oxycodone -- skip right past that piss-weak codeine, and get all the antitussive action you need in one stroke! For people with respiratory problems that make them cough that don't involve much pain, albuterol, steroids, anticholinergics, and warm moist fresh air (read: lay off the cigarettes!) are usually sufficient. I see people with a cough in the office every day I'm there, and I can count on one hand the number of times I prescribed codeine in the past year. I'm sure not missing this stuff.

Thanks for sharing this info, Doors.
And, being a linguist, I really liked your story about "lean" and how it may be related to "nod". I think it sounds very reasonable.

as ridiculous as it may sound, i think one of the primary reasons the term "lean" caught on was that it rhymes with both "codeine" and "green" lol. it was originally popularized in dj screw mixtapes (a LONG time ago, starting as early as 1990-1992), where people would freestyle over beats, and one feature of freestyle rapping is that you kind of repeat / throw in ready-made phrases as filler. so phrases like "sippin' on the lean, that codeine with promethazine, and smokin on a sack of green" etc etc was something that got repeated a lot and so it became known as lean. there were several popular nicknames for it back in the day like oil, drank, etc.

in fact everybody i met who was actually into this stuff irl would just call it 'drank', people in that scene almost never called it lean.