• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Sixties music freak out thread!

Fuckin hell man. I have an aural orgasm everytime I visit this thread.

Then I hear the shit that my kids listen to. Some black dude ranting on about niggaz and bitchaz in a monotone nasal whine.

What has happened to music?
There's a theory that each successive generation of kids has forced themselves to listen to music that pissed off their parents, because someone else not liking it was the real point. The thing is, we lived through the 1980s; and the reason that so much good music from the 1980s is remembered, is that there was so much shit music in the 1980s that has thankfully been forgotten. So we've set the bar for bad music pretty high; and in order for this to continue, the kids of today have got to listen to positively obnoxious material that they don't even like themselves, because it's more important for other people not to like it. Of course, nobody will ever admit to this massive self-own .....

^ there was some great music in the 80s. The Stone Roses is one of my absolute favourite albums ever - I can listen to it endlessly

There's a theory that each successive generation of kids has forced themselves to listen to music that pissed off their parents, because someone else not liking it was the real point. The thing is, we lived through the 1980s; and the reason that so much good music from the 1980s is remembered, is that there was so much shit music in the 1980s that has thankfully been forgotten. So we've set the bar for bad music pretty high; and in order for this to continue, the kids of today have got to listen to positively obnoxious material that they don't even like themselves, because it's more important for other people not to like it. Of course, nobody will ever admit to this massive self-own .....

That is so true Julie. After living through the excellence of the 60s and 70s, the 80s felt like the musical doldrums. Then the 90s hit which was a renaissance for music. Since then it has all gone to shit and I'm only recently starting to appreciate that there was actually good stuff around in the 80s. But I highly doubt I will look upon the last couple of decades of music favourably. My glasses will need to be tinted with serious amounts of rose for that to ever happen....

I'm absolutely not saying that there was not a lot of great music in the 1980s! There was plenty of amazing music in the 1980s. There was also a whole heap of utter bollocks. And that's fine too, because even failed experiments teach you something.

If just five new records were released each week in the 1980s, that's 2600 songs between 1 January 1980 and 31 December 1989 (or 1981-01-01 to 1990-12-31, for all those who celebrated the Millennium in 2001 on the basis that there was never a year zero and definitely not because they had so enjoyed celebrating it in 2000). That's enough music for 65 double CDs compilations, all different, no song repeated. Now take a look through track listings of some "best of the 1980s" compilations, and see how many distinct tracks you can find.

They found a kind of formula in the 1980s for mass-produced pop records by interchangeable artists -- some of whom are still alive today, and playing seaside holiday camps, or one-portaloo festivals in the arse end of nowhere -- that people would want to buy until the next one came out, and of course they managed to milk it to death. And this brings us back around to the Stone Roses and a whole scene that had been slowly smouldering in the background, but full-on ignited in the "Second Summer of Love" in 1989. The reaction to the routine use of electronic instruments as substitutes for real ones could had gone in either of precisely two ways: Either start treating electronic instruments as instruments in their own right; or eschew them altogether in favour of real guitars and drums. In 1989, it went both ways at once and never looked back .....

I don't know Ten Years After - they sound great, I must start listening to them. Moby Grape too - I have their first album. Skip Spence was one of those obscure unsung 60s geniuses/casualties, and he was originally a member of Jefferson Airplane

Yeah I love Ten Years After, that album "A Space In Time" is awesome. I was introduced to their music via my parents, especially my dad, who was a fan of their music and saw them live back in the day. He would always say that Alvin Lee was one of the greatest rock musicians of all time and I'm inclined to agree

Anyway, I'm not sure if they've been mentioned in the thread yet or not, but I've always felt that the Animals were a very underrated 60's act...they don't seem to be remembered as being in the "top tier" classic rock acts of that time period, but they produced a number of great singles and their sound was just really energized, driving rhythm and blues...it was almost like they fused traditional American blues with the more contemporaneous garage rock of their own era...and Eric Burdon was a great vocalist/frontman. Really like the Animals.

yeah Eric Burdon was a great vocalist but he left the Animals early and they never really made the impact that some other British blues-rock acts of the 60s did, despite a few strong singles

They did do the definitive version of House of the Rising Sun of course....