• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Singer says drinking almost killed him

my3rdeye

Bluelighter
Yes he is front man of a crappy pop band but it sounds like he is pretty close to dying from it. I find the picture of him shocking.

sum-41-facebook-page-posting-of-deryck-whibley.jpg

Deryck Whibley: 'I had pretty much just damaged everything'

Catapulted to rock fame after high school, tireless partying almost cost Whibley his life

Deryck Whibley didn't see it coming.

The Canadian rock star and Sum 41 frontman had many years of good times.

When he was barely out of high school, Whibley and his pals from Ajax, Ont., catapulted to fame and became a world-famous rock band. They sold millions of records and toured the world.

But the party never stopped.

"I'm kind of one of those people that I push myself probably a little too hard with work and with playtime as well and at some point, it just all catches up with you, I guess," Whibley, now 34, said in a recent interview with CBC News, his first since revealing that drinking had put him in hospital.

Over time, Whibley didn't see how far things had gone. That's in part because he remained functional — he toured, he wrote music, he endured.
Deryck Whibley

In mid-May, Deryck Whibley posted the image above to his website, as part of a post describing the toll that alcohol had taken on his health. (deryckwhibley.net)

"I never felt anything weird, everything just felt normal ... I just thought: it's just alcohol, it can't really harm you that much. But sure enough, it can," Whibley said.

Before landing in hospital this year, Whibley said his drinking was "raising some eyebrows" among the people in his life.

Things reached a point where he had liquor delivered directly to his Los Angeles home.

"Every single day, it would show up at my door," he said. "You didn't have to show ID or anything."

He'd order a bottle of vodka each morning, which would be gone by the next day.

'Hard boozing' put Sum 41 frontman Deryck Whibley in hospital

That was the case for about six months, up until the day he poured himself a drink and collapsed.

He woke up in hospital.

"I didn't really know why I was there, what was going on and the severity of it. It just sort of all, kind of hit me all at once," Whibley said.

The doctors were painting a grim picture.
'Glad I didn't go out like Jim Morrison'

"I've been close to death many times and I've always sort of skated through and this one was the closest I think," said Whibley. "They were just telling me my liver had failed and my kidneys had collapsed … I had pretty much just damaged everything inside of me."

Today, he's feeling better than he was before his month in hospital. There are some lingering issues he's still dealing with, but the bottom line is he's still alive — something he is grateful for.

A student of rock 'n' roll history, Whibley knows there are others who haven’t been so fortunate.
Sum 41 Facebook page posting of Deryck Whibley

This photo of Deryck Whibley was posted to the Sum 41 Facebook page on May 23, along with a message from the singer, thanking others for their support. (Sum 41 Facebook page)

"You know, I'm glad I didn't go out like Jim Morrison: a little too young, which I almost did," he said.

Whibley decided to share his story with fans last month on his website.

"When everything that happened to me after years and years of drinking so much, I never realized that I was taking it that far, I never realized that I would end up in the hospital like that," he said. "I just wanted our fans to know that it can happen to you, too, if you’re not careful."

He’s thankful to the people who have reached out to him and to those he reached out to for support himself, including well-known rockers Iggy Pop, Tommy Lee and Duff McKagan.

Asked if he's worried about how he will stick to sobriety, Whibley said he's not, but also that no one can predict what will happen in the future.

Since getting out of hospital, Whibley has been writing some songs, including while on a recent visit home to Canada. He plans to work toward getting back out on stage and performing live.

"I do miss playing right now. It's been long enough now, I'm getting that itch, I want to be back out on tour," he said.

Whibley can't say when that will be. That will depend on the music, which he says will be worth the wait.

"All I know is I’m not putting out anything until I really feel like it's great," he said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...pretty-much-just-damaged-everything-1.2684106

I'm not that much into his genre, but, I really enjoyed at least a couple of Sum 41's tunes.

I wish him well. Hopefully he's learned his lesson the hard way: Just because alcohol is embraced by most of society, doesn't mean it's completely safe to consume.

you'd have to be drunk to think their music was good. proof shit music can kill you

you'd have to be drunk to think their music was good. proof shit music can kill you

Lol well if you where not drunk before you heard their shitty music this would drive you to drink. Didn't this hypocrite say he was straightedge when he was with that talentless bitch Avril Lavigne? Or maybe she just said it i don't know either way they are both hypocrites of the highest order. She even admitted herself that she drank alot but apparently drugs are teh evil while booze never hurt anyone 8) . As if alcohol isn't a very addictive and very damaging drug that just happens to come in liquid form. If alcohol was invented today it would be looked upon as every bit as bad as the so called "hard drugs" like coke, Heroin, Meth, etc as it does way more damage then most illegal drugs and certainly far more then opiates.

Seeing pictures like this make me glad i gave up drinking when i did and got out of it with nothing worse then a fucked up stomach, slight long term memory problems and a bad case of nerves for a year or so when i was going through the PAWS from alcohol withdrawal. This guy is only a few years older then me and fuck me i have never looked that far gone on any drug even alcohol. If i had kept it up like i was drinking no doubt my liver, kidneys and not to mention brain cells and the rest would be totally shot by now. This guy looks like he's got 1 foot in the morgue already because i'm sure i have seen concentration camp survivors look healthier. He looks like he's about 100lbs in boots maybe but then again food isn't that much of a priority when you drink to that amount. Alcohol kind of has this way of turning you off food so you don't eat plus it depletes your body of certain vitamins further adding to the malnutrition as well as psychiatric problems caused by this lovely legal drug.

You guys really didn't like any of Sum 41's tunes, huh?

Funny you mention that you'd have to be drunk to enjoy listening to their songs, because I recall being drunk the first time I heard them.

Their alright I used to like them when I was younger, that pic had me doing a double take. Think I'll see if I still like any of their songs.

I had no idea who this guy was but his story is a lot like mine, minus being a rock star lol. That alcohol is no fucking joke and really I had no real idea that it could tear my body up the way it did. Same shit though, I drank a 1.75 liter bottle of vodka every fucking day from age 17-23. Idk what I was looking for, escape from my social/mental issues I think. I used to sell coke/weed etc. and it also made me forget the reality of my rightful paranoia(being locked in a box with my mental issues,no good!) of driving around illegally making sales everyday all day. But well that how I grew up and that's all I knew how to do. Mom was an addict father was a dealer, no excuse but I was young and once you make $1000's a day it's hard to be a cashier at 7-11. Anyway towards the end if my run I started getting a dull pain in my stomach, it was uncomfortable but I dealt with it by(no fucking lie or joke) mixing my vodka with pepto bismol. I'm lmfao now but that was my solution lol, quitting never entered my mind. I also had a 20pill a day e-pill habit(sick I know). But well it all took the depression and anxiety and pushed it to the back of my mind so I could function. Soooo the dull pain just increased over a month until one morning I woke up and I was frozen in pain, I could barely move. So I stashed everything and called an ambulance(cops come when u call an ambulance here). I get to the hospital and they had no idea wtf was wrong with me. I told them what I drank everyday and it still took them 3 days to figure out that I had acute pancreatitis. I was given massive amounts of morphine/dilaudid/fentanyl and still the pain persisted. It took ten days of not eating or drinking to calm it down to a bare able level 7-10 on pain scale. I went 5 years with that pain totally untreated and it really fucked me up mentally(even more lol). Well now I've been getting pain meds for the past 5 years and the pain is ever present. I will never be off these meds now and they run my life. I live on disability ($750 a mth lmao!) and everyday is still pain and more pain... I'm sry for going on like this but if some kid like me finds this and can take something from it my shit life will have had some meaning. Btw I weigh 105lbs and it's very hard to eat(weed helps but docs r afraid of Feds) so I choose meds or eating. Some life huh. Well that's my story do with it what u will.... Troll if u like but please take it easy everyone.