• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Simple games for older relative?

cduggles

Bluelight Crew
I’m looking for suggestions for an older relative who only plays solitaire on a PC and is not really computer savvy, but is interested in games. Does anyone have any (serious) suggestions? Thanks!

Well what does he have access to? Are you talking other games similar to solitaire, or actual video games?

I like tons of simple games ... if you could narrow it down (like only PC , no consoles, or only point-and-click, etc)

PC only, please. Honestly, I’m not sure what I’m looking for beyond that! Not like an action game. I think 🤔.

And that's why miniclip.com exists. But make sure that PC has at least Windows 7, 4GB of ram no matter if it's a trashcan or not, 4 gigs are necessary. And at least a trash dual-core and a 512MB/1GB Gpu.

Honestly, I have older relatives and for 2 of them I bought a ROG. The investition was worth.

Last edited:
am sure you can get poker games and such for p.c. you said your relative was a fan of solataire, so i thought a card game such as poker would be good. i'm not talking about playing for money against real people, you can or could get games that are just for fun.

PC only, please. Honestly, I’m not sure what I’m looking for beyond that! Not like an action game. I think 🤔.

Bloons Tower Defence 5!
(you can try 1 first but there's no story or follow-on so it's basically just much worse graphics, less stuff etc).
It's very simple and very addictive.
Just google it for easiness, but I think the site it ninjakiwi.com

It's starts off slowly and explains everything in a simple way, too. I spend hundreds and hundreds of hours on this last time.

Last edited:
Try Papers Please, it's pretty simple to control. If you ever went through customs you can relate to this game.

Has he played the other versions of Solitaire, too?
I don't really "get" FreeCell, but Klondike (traditional), Spider, Pyramid and TriPeaks are all pretty cool and already come on your PC with Microsoft (just search "Solitaire in the white search box at the bottom of the screen and select "Microsoft Solitaire Collection". Like, I'm sure you already knew that lol, but just in case.

I don't really "get" FreeCell, but Klondike (traditional), Spider, Pyramid and TriPeaks are all pretty cool and already come on your PC with Microsoft (just search "Solitaire in the white search box at the bottom of the screen and select "Microsoft Solitaire Collection". Like, I'm sure you already knew that lol, but just in case.
I had no idea. Thanks!

First Plants vs Zombies is pretty good, easy to get into. Plus there's millions of hidden objects games, they're all pretty casual.

How old are these 'older relatives'? (he asks tentatively in case they're younger than he is).

Imo, computer games don't really cut it for family fun. What you need are good old fashioned board games - dust off the monopoly, cluedo, backgammon, chess, go, draughts or even a pack of cards. Much better...

How old are these 'older relatives'? (he asks tentatively in case they're younger than he is).

Imo, computer games don't really cut it for family fun. What you need are good old fashioned board games - dust off the monopoly, cluedo, backgammon, chess, go, draughts or even a pack of cards. Much better...

I used to love Monopoly, especially because it could take up like a whole afternoon.
I'm such a nerd I bought Game of Thrones Monopoly last year but I have nobody to play with as my IRL friends either hate Monopoly so fuck them or don't watch GoT in which case they are not worthy!!

@cduggles has said relative tried any of the suggestions on here yet?
OH, U totally forgot about The Sims! I started playing that when I was 11 so it's fairly simple (each updated iteration gets more and more complex so I would suggest starting with The Sims 4). It's really addictive. Me, my mum and my brother used to have full-blown arguments over who's turn it was. Even my mum could play it for 3 or 4 hours at a time xD.

Heres an idea: show them Shirley Curry video (aka Skyrim grandma), myabe they'll get hooked on Skyrim.

The latest one:

I'm assuming on PC and solitaire means they aren't close by, perhaps living on their own or a nursing home? Point being = social interaction with others is a step up and engages more of their mind, retains more of their function ability. How old? What environment? How is their mental and/or eye-hand? Is eye-hand something they'd want to work on?

Sticking with PC....this should be my forte, but I'd have to go back and look. There's a tone of freeware out there which is simple by design, therefore relatively (ha! punny) simple to use. I'll go back and think of some candidates, but it would help to know how sophisticated they are looking to get - Role Playing Games (RPG) where they can develop a character and get attached with customizing? A bit more strategy with turn based games? Something they can do in 10-20min and be done, or something they can save and return to later? The old man in my is concerned they are only doing point-click which isn't doing a lot for them physically, but I don't know if that's their current limit. I"m also concerned about the screen and visibility, as the geek in my wants to connect the PC to a large screen tv, but that's likely uncalled for here.

Consider switching to a tablet? Runs the risk of getting left somewhere, compared to the PC which provides a 'place' to go to, and spend time away from. But mobile gaming is flooded with such games to try and discard. My concern here is again eye-hand work is limited, eye strain and visibility, potential misplacement of the tablet, and of course the need to lock it down from spending in apps. But it really is THE place for exploring such games. I'd do a tablet over a phone, primarily for the screen size and findability when misplaced.

I second the other recommendations for board games if at all possible. With family, or in a nursing home setting (my mother in law is in a retired community with card night, I'm sure such communities have board games). The whole point being to NOT sit alone and point-click, but to get more engaged with others WHILE sharpening the mind. Simple starters here could be card games (Uno has a dozen variants, but the basic is still good), or the old classics the person may recall how to play (monopoly & life, also with new variants but old standard versions as well).

Yes, CE. Thank you for asking.
Bloons Tower Defence 5!
I’ll check this out.
Try Papers Please, it's pretty simple to control. If you ever went through customs you can relate to this game.
This one too.
This definitely will be implemented.
How old are these 'older relatives'? (he asks tentatively in case they're younger than he is)
Sorry i missed this. He’s 80, lonely, and kind of getting depressed, which is why I am trying to help out. ☹️
@cduggles !

i had a eureka moment

View attachment 20387

you gotta get these! some of my favorite games ever, popcap is great
This looks very promising.
OH, U totally forgot about The Sims! I started playing that when I was 11 so it's fairly simple (each updated iteration gets more and more complex so I would suggest starting with The Sims 4). It's really addictive. Me, my mum and my brother used to have full-blown arguments over who's turn it was. Even my mum could play it for 3 or 4 hours at a time xD.
It might be a bit sophisticated, but we’ll see.
I'm assuming on PC and solitaire means they aren't close by, perhaps living on their own or a nursing home? Point being = social interaction with others is a step up and engages more of their mind, retains more of their function ability. How old? What environment? How is their mental and/or eye-hand? Is eye-hand something they'd want to work on?
I live relatively close by but I don’t have much free time lately. I make it a point to visit at least twice a month, but that’s not enough. Lives on his own. Mental acuity is intact, but he is not computer literate, doesn’t have much formal education, and speaks English as a second language. So there are a lot of barriers.

Sticking with PC....this should be my forte, but I'd have to go back and look. There's a tone of freeware out there which is simple by design, therefore relatively (ha! punny) simple to use. I'll go back and think of some candidates, but it would help to know how sophisticated they are looking to get - Role Playing Games (RPG) where they can develop a character and get attached with customizing? A bit more strategy with turn based games? Something they can do in 10-20min and be done, or something they can save and return to later? The old man in my is concerned they are only doing point-click which isn't doing a lot for them physically, but I don't know if that's their current limit. I"m also concerned about the screen and visibility, as the geek in my wants to connect the PC to a large screen tv, but that's likely uncalled for here.
Thoughtful questions for which I could only make assumptions to answer.

Based on some of the wisdom here. I’m also trying to get him to go take a class at an adult or senior center or the like.

It makes me sad.

Consider switching to a tablet?
It’s a possibility. But this is someone who I am slowly teaching how to text. He doesn’t use the Internet. So that’s where things are at rn.