• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Silk Road founder Ross Ulbricht sentenced to life in prison

Meh, be angry that the laws exist and do something to change them.

I don't have any sympathy for anyone like him. The risk of his actions came to fruition. Whether that risk should exist is a completely different conversation IMO.

Also, fwiw, I have a feeling the sentencing would have been much lighter if he hadn't tried to kill people and if those fatal OD's didn't exist.

That's just embarrassing for our society IMO, it doesn't solve anything...

While I think Silk Road was an amazing idea and still is, he should have expected this.

The sentence sucks. But it makes sense for the crime committed as per our laws.

Either change the laws or expect the consequences. Sucks for him, and I personally don't know if it was worth it and if Ross is to believed, he doesn't think it was worth it either.

This case reminded me of the "Yuppie Conspiracy". There is a book from the author Carol Saline about the supposed 'kingpin' called Dr. Snow.

(good read)

That's the part that really disgusts me. Forcing Ulbricht to spend his life in jail achieves nothing

I agree. Ask Mexico if America's "Tough on Crime" policy of extreme punishment of drug crimes reduced drug related harm. The main market of Mexican drugs is the United States. Increasing the consequences of producing drugs domestically didn't decrease harm and violence. These policies exported the harm and violence while the level of domestic drug use increased. Judge Forest falsely though we want to abolish drug use. We can't force people to stop using drugs. We want to reduce harm and prohibition isn't the solution.

Last edited:
"They have their Drug War and their example, and Ross is their example."--Ross Ulbricht's mother, Lyn.

Silk Road mastermind Ross Ulbricht‘s life sentence won’t stop the darknet

043703-80601ad8-07e8-11e5-a3ac-5ee400cf9dbf.jpg

A RUTHLESS villain profiting from a trade in human misery, or a digital crusader well ahead of his time?

Either way, Ross Ulbricht will never taste freedom again.

The criminal mastermind behind darknet marketplace Silk Road was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole on Friday, though it is believed his punishment will do very little to stem the online trade in illegal goods.

Convicted of a total of seven felonies — including narcotics-trafficking conspiracy, trafficking drugs on the internet, computer-hacking, running a continuing criminal enterprise and money-laundering — Ulbricht, 31, claimed he

“wanted to empower people to make choices in their lives and have privacy and anonymity” while doing what they were going to anyway.

But, not all share the view of Ulbricht as tech-savvy libertarian pioneering a solution to the war on drugs. Manhattan US lawyer Preet Bharara described him as nothing more than a modern day mobster.

“Make no mistake,” he said. “Ulbricht was a drug dealer and criminal profiteer who exploited people’s addictions.”

“I understand what a terrible mistake I made,” Ulbricht, who made an estimated $13 million fortune from the site, told the court.

“I’ve had my youth, and I know you must take away my middle years, but please leave me my old age.

Cont -

http://www.news.com.au/technology/o...stop-the-darknet/story-fnjwnfzw-1227378043919

Making an example out of someone is the most clear evidence of not treating them fairly. Laws are supposed to apply to all men equally

These were my thoughts in a nutshell, making examples of people is the opposite of true justice...

In addition to running Silk Road, Ulbricht was also accused of hiring a hitman (who turned out to be an FBI agent) to kill an employee he believed was stealing money from him.
On the other hand it's hard to feel sorry for a second hand murderer, If that allegation is true at least. A good beating may have been in order but murder for hire? Eh...

Poor kid, just making an example out of him. Kiddle didlers and murderers get way less time and those violent ppl that perpetrate crimes like that are so likely to do it again its sick. Yet we will throw a youngan in jail for making a website. He wasn't fucking Pablo Escobar

Worst part is the FBI or NSA or some other agency that probably doesn't event have a name hacked the sr servers found where they were and inserted themselves. Fucking scumbags.

I really hope he can get some kind of appeal. Why not give him the death penalty? Going to jail at that age is like a death sentence...death by life in prison.

Wtf is happening to this police state?? I mean country....

Oh and ppl that refer to him as a criminal master mind are full of shit. He was an entrepreneur who got blamed for what everyone else did. Yea I'm sure Ulbricht going to kail will stop the dark net. Idiots.

Western society: WE LOVE CAPITALISM!

*man makes platform for capitalistic exchange that doesn't benefit the ruling or political class*

*man goes to gaol for the rest of his life*