• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Sight, Smell or Name?

My general rule is that if it's a Jack herer strain it's probably good.

It can be awesome, but as a 3 way cross there is a lot of variation, each individual plant/clone is different. It's more consistent than most, but you're still going to get quite a lot of very different plants. The strongest one I smoked was chosen from 5 packs of sensi seeds Jack Herer (60 seeds grown out, best one cloned) by somebody related to the seed vendor I used to work for (it'd be expensive to pay full price), strongest, not best, it made everybody that smoked it whitey, trippy haze-like high, but it was a 7 week flowering period. It was really potent & moreish, before you knew it it was projectile vomit time. Amsterdam coffeeshop Jack Herer tends to be more like skunk & a much gentler smoother smoke, I think they just select the higher yielding ones, having people go pale & vomit off half a joint in the shop maybe isn't great for business, but whiteys are a favourite pastime here in the UK. They don't even put harder stuff on a lot of the menus in Amsterdam, it'll just be something the dealer recommends that they daren't even advertise, like that Domina x Haze. Never had a bad Jack Herer smoke, but some can be pretty average relaxing high, or it can be mind warping buzzy trippy stuff that makes any experienced smoker vomit.

Even the staff at the seed shop I worked at knew the strain names were meaningless & they'd have to grow out 5 packs of their most expensive seeds to find something special. The people that are hyping the names know they're all bullshit more than anybody, it's just done for marketing so they can get away with charging a premium to suckers.

If you're talking about names for individual clones, then they're much more consistent, but for the strains that are distributed as seeds, especially when the same name is produced by several different seed vendors, then the name becomes meaningless, it's nearly as bad as saying you prefer people with a certain family name, especially if it's not some stabilised land race inbred for centuries. The Jack Herer you smoked was maybe a distant cousin of some of the Jack Herer I smoked, most likely it was completely different.

My rule of thumb is that if Sam Skunkman was involved with the seeds they're probably good & fairly consistent. A lot of breeders are just hacks in it for the easy money, they can make a lot more money pumping out random seeds than growing for bud, or somebody got hold of a great clone & tried to make some seeds from it, sure you might get a great plant from that, but it's just luck, they'll all be totally different. Some seed houses used to be great, but had to downscale, change breeders, sometimes they'll lose all their genetics & have their main breeder imprisoned for 5 years, but they still keep selling seeds with the same names somehow. Names that were once great can turn to total crap.

Last edited:
REALLY?!
That's really ghetto.
The spraying to add weight part I mean

I know, I've seen all sorts of things. It doesn't happen often because it looks suspect as hell, you can see the sugar crystals, a quick cautious taste confirms it. Need to check what you're buying before you smoke it, at least make sure it's all weed. I don't taste all the weed I buy, but if it looks suspect then it's easier to tell with a taste. It's not that often that people mess with weed, but it does happen & tasting it is an easy way to confirm if you suspect something is wrong. Obviously don't buy it or smoke it, sugar isn't meant to be smoked.

The glass/grit weed was the worst, there were lots of bricks of import weed that seemed to have been sprayed or dipped with glass/sand/silica particles & glue, that was horrific. It needed a fairly close inspection to see it, at a quick glance it just looked really crystally & unusually small for it's weight. A taste confirmed that too. That was a few years ago now, but it was really bad, there was lots of it. All the bud I get now seems to be locally grown, I think that incident stopped a lot of weed imports & encouraged growers, but it might just be the weak pound.

Low grade hash can be bad for having things it shouldn't have in it too, again it'll usually taste wrong.

Last edited:
For experimental purposes, I took 8 random strains (all the same price) and gave them each a test with my eyes, my nose and it's name. I then judged each one on the taste and high while smoking them. You can take a look at one of the strains I used in testing right here:

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/741738-Pot-or-Not-Headbandin

I did this test a few times over a few days. I found that my likeness for the sight, smell or name of each strain could slightly change after I had smoked each strain. However, there were no "drastic" changes in my results done in these few days (a #2 spot could take a #1 spot, but a #3 spot couldn't).

On the first day and first round of testing I liked how the Candy Kush (one of the 8 from that store) smelled the best, and the SFV Headband (another one of the 8 from that store) got second place for smell on Day 1. On Day 2+ however, SFV Headband held the #1 spot for smell and continued to hold it (very easily).

I felt like the Candy Kush promised me something (with that sweet pungeunt goodness) that it could not match in taste and potency that the SFV Headband provided.

As far as looks go, from the begginning the SFV Headband had the rest beat. Just dripping with crystals and beautiful buds, the SFV Headband looks killer and killed the others in competition.

And being at the #11 spot for the earth's strongest strains isn't so bad for a name (SFV Headband). I've also always loved the strain headband as well as the SFV crosses so as far as name goes it was a no brainer for me, from Day 1.

For comparison purposes, the SFV Headband was the only solid "A" that I gave out of all 8 from that store. Most of the others where in the A- to B+ range and only one strain got an overall score of a "B-" from me. That strain was called Lemon Diesel, and it mostly got low scores because of the taste, it tasted like it had not been cured and/or flushed properly (I hate that!). Here is a photo:

NSFW:
xRF3rMG.jpg

Experiment Conclusion:

With only a handful of strains, I am able to see faults with each of the 3 main judgements: Sight, smell and name. Each of these three seem to be equally needed for a proper judgement and expectations aren't always what they seem, no matter which way I look at it, smell it or name it.

How do I buy weed?

Sight (crack open a bud and see how crystaly it is), smell, taste, how a joint burns, BHO yeild, dryness, density, trim factor, bag appeal (what a oz looks like in ziplock). Brand names are good, but good weed is what is important.

but the best test is smoking a 1g joint and seeing how that feelz

cant buy weed on one factor alone, ive had great weed that smelled bad or not at all and terrible stuff that smells great.
I can tell by smell, appearance, and feel. Taste isn't my priority honestly.

On the street you can't usually test shit out unless you do I guess can't hurt to ask.

I think the smell of but bud has a greater influence on my purchase.
Yeah same here. I've always said that even if it didn't get me high there are some strains that I would still smoke because they taste really good.

Most stuff nowadays is strong enough, so I'm after the best smell/flavor.

It's interesting that this thread is still applicable in today's hemp market with all the new distillates. My shopping habits and views are very different however I still use a similar technique when purchasing.

Here's an update using our modern hemp derived distillates instead of traditional flower:

Sight: I enjoy buying distillates that are clear. Gold and amber colored distillates are also popular but I prefer those that are clear. This is typically an indication of a higher purity product.

Smell: I prefer distillate with absolutely no smell. I've added cannabis derived terpenes to these distillates to mimic common delta 9 dabs, however I've recently given up vaporizing all the things and stick to edibles only.

Name: I tend to look only for delta 8 raw distillate. Very occasionally I'll pick up some HHC distillate but for everyday use I've found THE ONE.