• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Shulgin Index Volume 2: Psychedelic tryptamines and related compounds

SomeRandomNob

Bluelighter
I found some information on this book that I wanted to share, no one's talked about it anywhere. It seems it's shelved, but I have faith a manuscript exists and will be published someday.

TITLE: Shulgin Index Volume 2: Psychedelic tryptamines and related compounds - https://www.librarything.com/work/10512766

RELEASE DATE: ~2016

"I have been working with the Alexaner Shulgin Research Institute on several projects lately, including:
* Commercial kratom product analysis
* Research chemical market analysis
* Technical consultation for the production of the Shulgin Index Volume 2 (ie, creating a database back end for storing data to reduce cross indexing of sections from months of manual work done with Adobe InDesign to hopefully a few days of mostly automated processes)
* Collection of various new and exotic tryptamine and lysergamide samples for which no GC/MS spectra are available for inclusion in the Shulgin Index Volume 2"
- [Redacted]

In 2011, his life’s work was published in The Shulgin Index,
Volume 1: Psychedelic Phenethylamines and Related Compounds.
While the frst volume contains over 1,300 compounds, there is
more to come. The Shulgin Index, Volume 2 will be published in
the near future.
- https://maps.org/news-letters/v24n2/v24n2_p11.pdf

"Thanks for reaching out.
Unfortunately Volume II of Shulgin Index did not happen in the end, and is not in process.
We do have a bunch of other books in the pipeline, so please keep your eye on our website."
- My email to Transform Press (Aug 2021):

Any additional information y'all can find on the subject would be appreciated, I've already messaged [Redacted] and the user that claims to own this book, so please don't bother them, I will let you know if they get back to me.

Alexander 'Sasha' Shulgin died several years ago, from liver cancer.
I'm unfortunately aware of that.

The MAPs PDF I linked, published months after his death in 2014, mentions he's passed away but that the second volume is on it's way.

In 2019 [Redacted] claimed to be working with the Shulgin estate to complete the book. Only question is how complete it is, if anyone's still working on it, and if/when it will release.

It seems to have been originally slated for a 2016 release, but as of 2021, Transform Press says V2 is not being worked on, but it's possible people who had access to it are still working on it, or parts of it, and it's possible it will be released in the future.

EDIT: Extra info, the editor working w/ Shulgin estate ([Redacted]) to complete the V2 index (and other projects) started a fundraiser to help them archive shulgins work. The fundraiser did not meet its goal. Either the lack of donations resulted in the project getting dropped, they gave up for other reasons, or where a scammer/liar. I believe they're honest, but that's a personal opinion, I haven't done the research necessary to definitively say their claims are true, but I have no reason to doubt them.

Last edited:
I Have PiHKAL & TIKAL, And I Had "The Simple Plant Isoquinolones," But Then I Sold It For $40 A Long Time Ago. A Little Known Shulgin Tome, Which I Perused While Working In The Library At UGA [which is also a stop codon abbreviation, hehe], Was Called "Controlled Substances" Or Something To That Effect. Highly Interesting.

I messaged the person on Librarything who claims to own it, "That was in anticipation. I'll move it to my Publication Canceled collection", so they don't have it lol. Just to clarify.