• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Shrooms made me want to quit opiates, next step?

falsifiedhypothesi

Bluelight Crew
I recently had an eye opening psilocybin experience, I basically saw my hole life layed out with so much going for me except my addiction was really holding me back. It was a beautiful trip and I really took something back from it.

The day I took the 2gs of shrooms I also took my last 300mg of tramadol. It's now 3 days later and I'm not really feeling any cravings like I would be normally, the fatigue and sickness is also lessened although in a minor way.

I know this won't be easy as I've been abusing opiates for the last 5 years but any encouragement or tips on staying clean would be well appreciated.

Yeah i remember tripping as a budding addict and seeing myself having to chose between my one true passion in life and opiates. How I could have an impact on humanity but never would if i didnt change. It didnt stop me from becoming an IV junkie but boy did it stick with me. That is all in my past now.

The only advise i can truly give is let it be a part of you, dont let the vision get obscured. It was when i saw that i knew i was going to get clean some day. I decided id do anything to get off heroin to pursue my interests however, it took a while for the life changes to implement, a very long while.

You can do it if you want to, you can have an amazing life... i sure do now that ive been off all opiates for over a year. My life has become infinitely better, just dont forget that you can do it and you can become the person you should be.

you could find a group to attend - i'm not saying NA cause i really hate that higher power shit but some sort of impartial group to meet up and share with regularly.
i just started going to one (UK council based one) a few weeks ago and altho i'm not set on quitting yet it really gave me a few new perspectives that might be useful if i do take the plunge

Id love to keep this lesson with me but I'm not sure how longstanding this revelation is going to be. This experience has been at the back of my mind for the past few days and I'd really like it to stay there. Just those thoughts seem to murder any cravings I have and if I could keep it this way forever I would, that might not be realistic but I'm really hoping it sticks with me for a long time to come.

I really don't want to go to any meetings. I hate the thought of gathering with other people to talk about addiction. I feel like it will put my addiction at the front of my mind and possibly trigger me. It just seems to cement the mentality of "you are an addict" which I think will do nothing but make me feel guilty.

OP, there's no reason to attend meetings if you don't want to; NA/AA/Refuge, etc. have no monopoly on recovery.

One of the biggest parts of quitting is that very abstract challenge of getting committed to your own recovery. It sounds like in your case the psilocybin may have kick-started that process. So then the question becomes, how to keep that momentum. That's deeply personal thing.

I think I'm gonna call off my friend. He usually hits me up when he has something and he'll respect my decision to abstain.

Meetings are great if you need them, I never really did. All I needed was to get on methadone so I could continue my normal life (had a job and stuff the whole 3 years i was an addict) but for me recovery was my own thing and I controlled all aspects of it. I came up with my taper schedule and was on methadone for a total of 16 months, up to 90 and down to 0. My counselor told me at the end shes never had anyone do the whole thing, accomplish the bare minimum, and get off methadone so quick. I never got take homes not because i didnt qualify but the clinic was on the way to work so i literally couldnt be bothered to take the groups required to get take homes.

My large point is your recovery is your own personal thing. When it comes to my life I 100% control everything that i can so i plan my life and everything in it, i could never do a recovery where someone told me i couldnt do that. That is who i am and that is how my recovery followed. You need to know if you benefit from interactions with people or if you dont, meetings would do me no good because i never considered myself one of those people.

^ thats exactly the way I want to go, full control. Whenever I saw a commercial for recovery and they say some bullshit like, "you can't do it alone" it just pissed me off. Why the hell not? If I really want to quit is it so unreasonable to think I can do it myself?

Really that's the attitude that got me into this mess, self medicating depression was all under my control. Going to therapists, psychs, just ended up making me feel like I was failing everyone since I couldn't do it their way, so I stopped doing it their way. That's just who I am too I suppose.

^ thats exactly the way I want to go, full control. Whenever I saw a commercial for recovery and they say some bullshit like, "you can't do it alone" it just pissed me off. Why the hell not? If I really want to quit is it so unreasonable to think I can do it myself?

Really that's the attitude that got me into this mess, self medicating depression was all under my control. Going to therapists, psychs, just ended up making me feel like I was failing everyone since I couldn't do it their way, so I stopped doing it their way. That's just who I am too I suppose.

Same here literally like "you cant do it like that no one ever succeeds like that" (me) "ill take that challenge not only that but ill do it in a shorter time frame and tell you it was easy"

I originally got into heroin because i enjoyed oxy but that was expensive. I had an easy time because i have always considered myself a very capable person exactly like "well if i cant do it, it literally must be impossible." I was lucky to go to a clinic that was willing to accept my stubborn need to do it my own way, if not for that i would have manipulated the system to make it happen. Thats what i did on subs, they put me on 16 i only took 8 systematically got down to 2mg per day through stock piling and taking less and just bailed on the clinic and reduced my dose down to nothing.

Dont let someone tell you you cant do something, how would they know? If you know you can do it then you can, a lot of people cant and a lot of people benefit from social interaction however, that is not myself. Good luck to you.

I haven't dealt with opiates, but my advice from coming off benzos is to taper, slowly if necessary, and to have an understanding, straighthead friend/family member issue your doses, if possible.

My family doesn't know I was addicted, well they knew I used opiates just not to the extent. Also I'm pretty much clear of withdrawals now, soooo noooope, haha thanks for the input though.

szuko000 I don't think I could relate to that anymore than I already do lol

Update: I'm sleeping much better than I ever did when I was sober before. Craving aren't nonexistent but still very very low, and easy to ignore. Im getting more stressed at work but I think it's just related to the greater workload lately. I'm probably not gonna update this for a while, I might in a few months.

Consider yourself lucky OP. IV heroin addict, no stranger to shrooms. Never had a life changing experience. I've had a few gos with salvia even and I'm the same junkie.

It helps to have some purpose and direction in life. To have some kind of meaningful identity as a person & a (somewhat) clear set of goals/vision for your own future...

IMO

Consider yourself lucky OP. IV heroin addict, no stranger to shrooms. Never had a life changing experience. I've had a few gos with salvia even and I'm the same junkie.

It was really a lucky coincidence that had this experience. It wasn't planned at all but most of my close friends were in contact with me the whole trip.

Actually the only reason I took the shrooms that night is because another friend was taking an eighter for his first time, all I wanted to do was guide him through and make sure he had a good time. I felt a strong sense of love between me and all my friends that night, none of us were physically together but we were all settled down in our own corner of the country, content, and connected. It was really just a perfect night.

I heard about this on the Joe Rogan podcast.
Saying that people with addictions, taking shrooms and completely be sober. turns you off from doing the drugs.

I had a bad experience with shrooms... this was crazy, it was 420 and I ended up getting little over 2 grams of shrooms. I was the only
One tripping. We go down to this stream behind our dorm and smoked some weed. Everything went slow mo and had the worst 5 hour trip of my life..... turned me off of weed, if I try smoking I get that bad experience again.

The cravings have come back, not nearly as strong as they were before but to a significant degree. Maybe I wouldn't have been pushed to this point so fast if it wasn't for all the stress at work lately.

I ended up using a bunch of hydro a week ago. Although the shrooms didn't outright "cure" my addiction I think they have made me more conscious about the path I'm heading down. It's caused me to slow down my usage and I plan to trip again soon so hopefully I can make magic happen twice.

Overall it felt very good to be off opiates for about a month and I can now see the benefits of living life without them.