View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Shrooms and alcohol mixing.

Sticky A Key

Greenlighter
So tonight I'm going to a friend's house and decided I may want to trip (3.5 grams). My friend's girlfriend wants to drink and I don't want to be the oddball out so chances are I'll play a few games of beer pong as well. There's only going to be like 4 people there max, one I might not know, but I don't think that would be too much of an issue. I've only ever tripped once before and it was on the same dose I'd plan on taking. Basically I'm asking what could I possibly expect from such a combination? Would it negatively effect the trip or anything of that nature from a chemical standpoint? Would it be best to take the shrooms after or before? Although it took about an hour and a half to kick in last time so chances are I'll do it before any alcohol consumption anyway. Thanks in advance. The faster you can help the better!

I doubt a beer or so will make any difference, however I cannot see how being drunk and tripping would appeal to anyone (however this is coming from someone that very rarely consumes alcohol and only ever as a compliment to a meal), who cares if you'll be an "oddball"? You'll be tripping and have a wonderful time and if they're your friends why would they judge you in any way other than the norm?

I can't say for sure about mushrooms, but in my experiences with drinking on acid the alcohol potentiates the trip in a very pleasant way as long as you don't over do it. I would imagine getting trashed while tripping on anything would suck, but i could see getting tipsy or *slightly* drunk enjoyable on mushrooms as well.

Ya for the most part its just like lsd where you don't really get drunk. Just drink a bit later into the trip if you can

well im the type of person who likes to rage an in my experience mixing anything with shrooms or lsd (including alcohol) is just a little more fun added to the fun.

When I was in high school, me and my boyfriend ate mushrooms nearly every weekend. One time, he drank at a party... well, he collapsed while he was leaning on their stove door. It broke the stove door off! He was in a really weird weird state that whole night. Especially after all the commotion with the stove. Here's the thing: mushrooms are poisonous, ya know? My stomach gets sick when I eat them, why the hell would you want to mix alcohol into that situation? Well, too late now, hope you didn't break anyone's stove!

I didn't end up doing it. Just tripping. But thank you for all the responses and I'll make sure to put them into consideration for the future.

While I agree you should keep the alcohol on the low and towards the tail end of the trip, psilocybe mushrooms are not poisonous. Who told you that?

I guess I do not have a reputable source.

Hmm, okay, so I just looked it up and you are 100% correct. I guess that someone told me that along the way, and since I have experienced nausea etc while tripping I assumed it had truth. When I looked just now, I found that even people in the medical field have been misled about this, so I don't feel too bad about my misunderstanding. However, I still stand by my statement about it not being a good idea to drink alcohol while on mushrooms, but to each their own. Thank you for enlightening me, and not being rude about it ;)

whenever i have a bad trip i bust out some shotguns or some shots of liquor, brings me back to reality and calms me quite a bit

I am saying this from FIRSTHAND experience, I've ate shrooms many times after drinking and when I've been drunk, you trip balls, definently intensifies trip. Iv tripped nutz just after eating 1.5gs after taking abt 10 shots of whiskey. Its tispy flipping its the shit! Dont let ppl tell u bullshit that there isnt a difference or shrooms sober u from alcohol thats stupid. Gives you alot more tracers, and insane closed eye visuals. Would highly recommend but that's just me and my friends. But it makes since if u like shrooms and alcohol why not just have both and double the fun? we trippy mane

In the nicest way possible, I will be doing the exact opposite of what lemonsteez claims makes "since" next time I trip.

Pharmacologically GABA agonists like alcohol will suppress visuals.

Additionally, adding alcohol tends to make an experience much messier, as its interference with memory formation and disinhibition can really contribute to a loss of control. The nauseating effects are certainly not desirable to me.

Generally I would always advise against adding alcohol because pharmacologically it has a wide range of actions which makes the potential for unpredictable, dangerous interactions high.

It's funny that someone said mushrooms are poisonous because they aren't, but alcohol absolutely is...

Anyways, I'd suggest saving most of the alcohol until you start coming down, as too much alcohol will make the trip really messy, disorienting, and just generally "fucked up", but a few drinks synergize pretty nicely with psychedelics and, if anything, slightly potentiate them.

Transform, you have never tispy flipped before and deffinently read that from a book. If u had actually tried the combination for yourself like I HAVE many times, you would understand the deference in the amount of tracers and closed eye visuals. Alcohol definently doesn't surpress your visuals, if u wana trip less eat ice cream or drink milk.

^^ Dude, I completely agree. I have never had a better trip after drinking. The mpsychedelic amphetamines (like DOC) actually mix pretty well and so can LSD sometimes, if you don't drink too much. But some psychedelics really don't mix, and in my experience mushrooms don't, nor do any other tryptamines. I always get reduced visuals, reduced euphoria and reduced profoundness. For me, drinking is the last thing I'd want to do on mushrooms. But everyone is different. I know many people who agree that drinking reduces some of the "trippiness" of psychedelics.

I've eaten shrooms when I had a nice buzz going beforehand and while I did feel the shrooms they seemed unusually weak and I never really tripped, just some mild euphoria affects and the usual runny nose and watery eyes.. oh and a perma-grin. Could have just been weak shrooms though.

I've drank beers while I was tripping pretty hard with buddies, but it was as if I couldn't get drunk no matter how much I drank. Went through a 12 pack of Bud Light and never noticed being drunk. Next morning I felt completely normal, no evidence of even a slight hangover or anything.

Then one time I did shots of whiskey while I was tripping hard and it destroyed my trip. I just got really angry at the world for no apparent reason and kept thinking about killing people and how to get away with it. When I realized what I was thinking about I started believing I was possessed by a demon or something which led to a panic attack followed by extreme paranoia and eventually uncontrollable crying. One good thing that came out of it was that it somehow made me hate drinking and ever since then Ive been repulsed by alcohol, still love shrooms though.

If you're tripping with others who are drinking I would definitely suggest a beer or two. You don't wanna be the only one on just shrooms while everyone else is drinking AND on shrooms. I took shrooms during the college football national championship game in my basement with my parents upstairs and I was screaming the whole second half. They were like WTF.

It definitely is one of the best feelings in the world. You feel very uninhibited yet don't become as stupid as you normally do when drunk.

Too much alcohol you'll definitely throw up.

Acid on the other hand....it makes the trip go much quicker and eases the paranoia. Although I feel when I drink on hallucinogens I get very angry. I will probably always drink ONE beer on acid from now on though. I never drink more than one beer anyway anymore even alone....but I like the way alcohol eases the come-up.

I never feel that good on shrooms. Always a upset and worried stomach. Had for most part a really bad experience adding alchohol to the equation.

On one occasion I had drank quite a bit of vodka before a friend came over and brought some shrooms.

I've never had visuals come on so fast before. I'm guessing the shroom slush in my belly partially infused with the alcohol as it was seeping into my stomach lining.