View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Shroom comedown headaches

heyday918

Greenlighter
in my experience tripping on shrooms, when I come down I kinda have a headache of sorts for the rest of the day, but the next day I feel great. this doesn't happen with LSD. does anyone know what's going on?

This is fully normal for shrooms sometimes they leave me with nasty headaches for days. There are also papers published in their depression studies highlighting this negative side effect where some people get very bad headaches. This reason has led me to not doing shrooms more often since the headaches put me off.

Yes to @TripSitterNZ points above. I’ll dig up the studies and link em tomorrow.

But I too get wicked headaches, upon occasion from shrooms, even various 4 subs, as well as 2cx and 2ctx. And to a lesser extent from lsd.... they will begin on the comedown, sometimes lasting much of the next day.

I find eating and hydrating adequately in the days preceeding a trip helps but is no guarantee. Magnesium bisglycinate helps as well (occasionally I’ll take ibuprofen if it’s bad and often it’ll help but not always)

^^^Agree with TripSitterNZ. To paraphrase Ann Shulgin: “Everyone has a different neurochemistry - my favorite may not be a friend to another.”
Some folks are the opposite, getting headaches on lsd comedowns, never shrooms. No rhyme or reason to it, we just experiment carefully and hopefully learn what our bodies like. :)
And yes-to the above also - HYDRATE always, and keep hydrating.

Doesnt happen for me but it reminds me of how shrooms are used to treat cluster headaches which are these extremely debilitating headaches that cause people to bang their heads into walls and pull their hair out, maybe do to the same mechanism?

This is fully normal for shrooms sometimes they leave me with nasty headaches for days. There are also papers published in their depression studies highlighting this negative side effect where some people get very bad headaches. This reason has led me to not doing shrooms more often since the headaches put me off.
it's not too bad for me, it just means I don't want to plan to be productive at all on a day where I trip. the shorter duration might make you think that you can pack more into a day with shrooms, but I guess not

Psychedelics have some strange effects on cerebral vasculature and the cranial nerves. Both express the "psychedelic receptor" 5-HT2A, although psilocbyin binds to several receptors and there are many receptors expressed on the cranial nerves. Psychedelics tend to act as vasoconstrictors, but when the brain thinks it's arteries are too constricted, it starts a signaling process to dilate them. The pulsing feeling of a headache is actually because there are tiny nerves wrapped around the arteries of the brain, and as the arteries dilate the pulsing becomes quite strong against the sensory artery nerves. There are different types of headaches that can result from vasodilation and not all are pulsatory, but some can be caused by vasoconstriction more directly rather than vasoconstriction --> reactive vasodilation --> pain

So one explanation for the shroom headaches is that there is a period of vasoconstriction caused by the eg psilocybin, then the signaling process to compensate and dilate the arteries kicks off, then the psilocbyin leaves the system and is no longer constricting the arteries, therefore rebound arterial dilation is allowed to surface.

What I find odd is that I’m not guaranteed a headache, from the substances I listed in my post above. Nor are the headaches dose dependent

Interesting cuz I have the opposite effect, they can cure my headaches. I get cluster level migraines, the type that have you clawing at your head and contemplating a bullet. Mushrooms, 4-AcO-DMT and DMT all have this effect.

I prefer DMT though cuz it’s instant, no waiting. Often immediately afterwards I get really tired and want to sleep, next morning feeling good as new.

-GC

I dont get headaches but LSD and mushrooms both give me very weird sinus pressure. Like there’s a balloon up in there or something

Have you micro dosed or something? smoke some weed, should be gone in no time. They aren't that common but what it's common it's the mold contamination. Watch how you grow'em.

Have you micro dosed or something? smoke some weed, should be gone in no time. They aren't that common but what it's common it's the mold contamination. Watch how you grow'em.
I grew them myself and I'm reasonable sure there was no mold. it's only ever mild but still I feel a bit spacey the whole rest of the day

Interesting cuz I have the opposite effect, they can cure my headaches. I get cluster level migraines, the type that have you clawing at your head and contemplating a bullet. Mushrooms, 4-AcO-DMT and DMT all have this effect.
For this alone psychedelics should be accepted medicines..

I'm curious, how do you fare with triptans? Lasmiditan is an cool new one. Still trying to figurue out this report of this migraine sufferer who got full on psychedelic effects from it. Its a 5-HT1F agonist, thought to work by binding to the 5-HT1F receptors expressed on the trigeminal nerves that innervate the cerebral vasculature, but wondering if the psychedelic effects were some sort weird of vascular consequence or something rather than a direct effect on 5-HT1F receptors on neurons

About 30 minutes later I tripped out so hard, I don’t even know wtf happened. I started panicking because I couldn’t read, couldn’t form sentences, couldn’t understand what was happening (severe mental confusion), couldn’t walk straight, started seeing trails on everything, having violent tremors, racing heart, had a sensation of choking, couldn’t keep my mouth moving to form words, couldn’t remember basic words, and vomiting. In addition to all this fun stuff, I felt like my limbs were gummy arms/legs- I would reach out for my water cup and it appeared like my arm was stretching waaaaay far away to reach it.