Votes: 12 33.3%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/2stars.gif [/img]

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 11 30.6%

• Total voters
I never thought this film was quite as bad as everyone said it was. Sure, it had no really sympathetic characters, and a moronic plot, but on the whole I thought it was just harmless, mindless cinema.

I've never seen it personally, but if Paul Verhoeven directed it then there's a good chance it's intentionally campy.

If you look at his other work, specifically Robocop and Starship Troopers they're loaded with satire and Robocop especially can almost be seen as a black comedy.

cydonorb said:
In terms of camp value SHOWGIRLS is highly entertaining. It is so over the top & deleriously trashy that it is second only to PLAN 9 FROM OUTERSPACE as the most unintentionally hilarious movie ever made.
wasn't Showgirls intentionally meant to be cheesy??? i have a hard time believing that the same man who made Starship Troopers tried to make a serious movie about the las vegas showgirl industry. oh well.

i don't know. i don't recall feeling that the trailer/commercials gave you any idea other than that it was going to be serious, but it's been so long since i saw them i could be completely mistaken.

Last edited:
Paul verhoeven went to the same school as i did i even saw the guy(cheesy looking guy) there once all his movies suck ass though

Banquo said:
wasn't Showgirls intentionally meant to be cheesy??? i have a hard time believing that the same man who made Starship Troopers tried to make a serious movie about the las vegas showgirl industry. oh well.

Nope. That spin came after the film had bombed & Verhoeven/Esterhaus became laughingstocks. The "it was supposed to be campy" shill came only after the film contionued to run at one theate in the East Village (NYC) where drag queens came & participated with the film.

Before the film came out both Verhoeven & Esterhaus gave many chin stroking "deep" interviews about how their new film was going to be a serious look at American sexuality.

What is actually a bit depressing is if you look at the prior & subsequent work of both guys you'll see that the sophmoric view of sex & women that is blatant in SHOWGIRLS is there more subtley in such features as BASIC INSTINCT. Basically these are 2 jerks who know nothing about women, can only get sex when they pay for it & whose artistic sensibilities are on par with the average beer commercial.

Last edited:
belisarious said it best. I am not pretentious at all with movies, and am perfectly happy with mindless entertainment. hell, I loved armageddon! now gigli, that was bad bad, I couldn't even begin to watch, total boredom. I didn't think showgirls was as awful as everyone made it out to be.

cydonorb said:
Before the film came out both Verhoeven & Esterhaus gave many chin stroking "deep" interviews about how their new film was going to be a serious look at American sexuality.

that's great. and thinking about how silly Total Recall was puts a new perspective on all of this. thanks for the info. next time i watch Showgirls (which will be never) i'll watch with a more critical eye.

BingeBoy said:
Paul verhoeven went to the same school as i did i even saw the guy(cheesy looking guy) there once all his movies suck ass though

how can you possibly say robocop sucks, and to a lesser extent starship troopers? robocop is superb, a great satirical look at the eighties. the sequels may have been pointless sci-fi, but the original is deep, it fucking rocks. one of my favourite final scenes ever in a film, up there with a clockwork orange's. "murphy".

showgirls ... i havent seen this movie in a while so i downloaded it online (yes i am a cheap bitch ;))

haha def a movie to watch late at night when nuttin else on and you are chillin alone sober.
its good to smile and laugh at how bad a movie can be and still entertain you.

Absolutely hilarious.

3/4 for the entertainment value.

1995_showgirls_005.jpg

LOL =D

Showgirls !!!

Best movie ever. And honestly I don't see it as camp or so bad its good. I actually truly enjoy the movie.

Merged.

I haven't seen this since I was ~13.

Good stuff, iirc. ;)

It was pretty sweet when I was 12.

Now that I am familiar with writing screenplays, I find the script laugable.

A good friend of mine has a huge DVD collection and one of his hobbies is collecting terrible films. He got the DVD box set for showgirls and no joke it came with shot glasses and score board and rules on a drinking game you can play while watching the movie. Good times terrible movie.