• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Should I Stop Taking Turmeric/Curcumin If I Want To Roll?

Curcumin is a strong antioxidant and neuroprotective substance that actually should prevent risks from MDMA use, but I don't know if there are any cross-effects like enzyme inhibition or the danger of a Serotonin-Syndrom (MAO-inhibition). You could try with a low dose like 30mg (of MDMA) to see if there are any severe side effects.

Last edited:
I don't see any red-flag concerns about mixing the two; no obvious overlap in metabolism or effect on the brain.

It looks like mixing curcumin and MDMA is probably OK, possibly even beneficial (since there are suggestions of neuroprotective effects from the curcumin.)

Thanks guys

Bump though, because I want more opinions on possible neuroprotection and/or serotonin syndrome

Im pretty sure curcumin has some maoi - inhibitor properties. This good lead to serotonin syndrome. Id avoid mixing the two for sure.

STOP TAKING TURMERIC AT LEAST A WEEK BEFORE ROLLING. DO NOT MIX THE 2, poster above me is correct.

Im pretty sure curcumin has some maoi - inhibitor properties

Interesting. I didn't find that listed on the pharmacology/side effects references I saw, so I did a bit more digging, and it has indeed been shown to have some mild MAOI properties in lab experiments.

Whether it would be a problem to combine the two is unclear to me, but in light of this, some caution is warranted. Since the half-life of curcumin is reported to be short, stopping use for a couple days should be enough to clear it from your system.

But on the other hand, curcumin (especially in liposomal formulas) is a strong neuroprotective and antioxidant substance (beside alpha-Lipoic Acid and THC/CBD) that shows a fast protection of neurons. EGCG has those effects too, but is only adsorbed rarely if it's not being consumed on a very regular basis.

A study on rats showed that Vitamin E and alpha-Lipoic Acid seemed to reduce the damage of MDMA. But it's still not 100% sure why MDMA causes damage (oxidative effect, catecholamin depletion, cortisol release + high catecholamin levels, etc.) so Curcumin may help in reducing damage, but it's not sure.

And Curcumin indeed shows a low MAO-inhibiting activity, but a lot of spices like nutmeg, cloves and pepper also have this effect, just saying…

Not an issue as long as you dont's dose together.

Also depends on dose curcumin. 100mg won't cause any issues even when taken together.

With high doses just stop 1 day in advance. You can dose curcumin a couple hours post roll without issues and it will probably even be beneficial.

Not an issue as long as you dont's dose together.

Also depends on dose curcumin. 100mg won't cause any issues even when taken together.

With high doses just stop 1 day in advance. You can dose curcumin a couple hours post roll without issues and it will probably even be beneficial.

Not only dose but also was the turmeric organic powder or extract and was it taken with piperine to increase it's bioavailability.