• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Should I go to the doctor ASAP or wait?

Indefined

Greenlighter
What's up fellow blue lighters hope you're having a good day on this ugly spring day (in Columbus at least)! I myself was until about 30 minutes ago...

So I did a normal-for-me sized shot of some China into my right arm. Veins are pretty healthy right now and they have been since I cut way down on my H usage. I was able to hit a spot I typically don't, reason being so I can rotate as much as possible and not hit the same vein before the wound heals, just standard harm reduction. When my veins are bad I can pretty much only use crook in elbow vein and or big one on bicep and I think that at this point there is so much scar tissue in both crook veins that idk if I can even shoot into either one anymore. The vein I hit is probably 3 inches down from the crook, it's on my inner arm and it's significantly smaller than my massive crook vein. I've shot around this area before but not if this vein specifically (when my veins are in good shape I have countless veins in my forearms, I have pretty low body fat and work out regularly and again; I try to rotate as much as possible so I hit these veins whenever my blood pressure isn't so low from the dope that I can't hit them). Sorry about so much talk about the veins in my arm, just tying to give good background info.

I did the shot, about 3 points of a nice light tan China and it felt like it normally does. There was no pain like there would be from a missed shot turned into a skin popper. The needle was a fresh one as always, injected slowly, double filtered solution as usual, pulled needle out slowly. I used clean water, waited for solution to cool before injecting, did not need a tourniquet, shot this same batch yesterday so I know it's clean and of at least decent quality, cleaned spoon with alcohol and rinsed twice before using it to mix solution, cleaned injection site with alcohol, etc. So I'm pretty sure there was no contamination and I used proper technique so those things should be ruled out as the cause of my problem...

I played the same post-shot song as always (You might think he loves you for your money but I know what he really loves you for its your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat, by Death Grips). As soon as the song ended and I stopped air drumming I put my arm down on my center console (did this in the car) and my arm felt numb. Like it does when your leg falls asleep but there's no tingling, just numbness. I also noticed that the injection site had turned red without any visible swelling - a small oval shaped patch about 3 inches long and probably 2 inches wide. Only the bottom half of my arm is numb, the part that touches the console when you put your arm on it using is as an armrest. The numbness is only from the elbow to the hand.

I've heard of stuff like this happening and it goes unattended and results in bad things...even amputation. I'm aware that this is rare and probably won't happen but should I go and see a doctor immediately? If not how long do you think I should wait before going IF the symptoms continue or worsen? Also I know that I did not hit an artery, I've done that a couple times before from going too deep and I didn't get the sharp tingly pain in my hand, the unique histamine reaction or the racing heart. Dos anyone know what's happening to my arm? Kinda concerned...and it's been an hour since injecting and still feels the same. Took 30 minutes to write this while driving. I know...I'm a dick for texting while driving but whatever I was also working as an uber driver while speed balling not too long ago.

BTW sorry for any typos, I suck at typing on iPhones. I tried to fix as much as possible though. And thanks in advance for any help, I'll stay online and give updates.

I would have rinsed the spoon a bit more than twice if you put rubbing alcohol on it. that might be what is causing your numbness

could just be a histamine reaction due to that particular vein not being used to handling injected substances

hard to tell over the internet, id give it a little bit before you went rushing to the ER though

I would have rinsed the spoon a bit more than twice if you put rubbing alcohol on it. that might be what is causing your numbness

Sorry what I meant was that I cleaned it twice with alcohol. I rinsed the hell out of it, I'm super safe with that. I'm sure injecting rubbing alcohol would suck.

UPDATE: Redness has gone away but still numb...

UPDATE: it's been almost 10 hours and my right arm is STILL numb. Exact same area and exact same intensity of numbness. Gonna be going to sleep soon and if it's not any better by the time I wake up I'm gonna head to the doctor or urgent care or something. This is, unless anyone has some info for me that would change my mind. Pretty surprised about the response. Usually you guys are on top of this kind of stuff ?

Go to the ER. You may need imaging of your arm, like an MRI, because that can image soft tissues like nerves.

Did you use a micron filter to draw up the solution?

Go to the ER. You may need imaging of your arm, like an MRI, because that can image soft tissues like nerves.

Did you use a micron filter to draw up the solution?

Yea I do use micron filters. I am an extremely cautious IVer. Thanks for the response, I really thought I was going to have to go...

Fortunately I woke up and the numbness was gone. Wish I knew what caused it seeing I'm so sage with this shit. Maybe I hit a nerve or something...who knows

Yea I do use micron filters. I am an extremely cautious IVer. Thanks for the response, I really thought I was going to have to go...

Fortunately I woke up and the numbness was gone. Wish I knew what caused it seeing I'm so sage with this shit. Maybe I hit a nerve or something...who knows

That'sprobably exactly what happened. I'm do glad you're feeling better.

Yeah, sometimes random stuff like that happens...stuff that you cant explain, i've had plenty of weird stuff happen. In my experience, it's best to be on the safe side. Maybe not shoot in that spot again? I dont know..be safe though dude.

Hey OP, I'm a long time user of the IV ROA myself and like you, I'm pretty OCD when it comes to cleanliness and from reading your description about what happened I would have to agree with TSLexi on this one, it sounds like you may have inadvertently knicked a nerve, especially if you are using the area in the crook of your arm, it has happened to me a few times before myself. Good to see that you try to practice good HR though with rotating injection sites and keeping things clean. Just remember to keep it up though, I've seen many people get complacent with their prepping and routine and end up getting some nasty results from not taking the time to be as safe and clean as they should. For now though I think you will be fine but just be careful bud! And if it ever happens again and you DONT regain feeling within, say, 24 hours or so, then absolutely seek some medical attention. Cheers friend

Would you recommend the OP save up to buy a portable ultrasound machine so they can easily locate veins and guide the needle? It's pretty simple to use, at least for this purpose, if you turn the Doppler on; veins will have areas of blue, because blood is flowing away from the transducer, while arteries have areas of red, since blood is flowing towards it.

It seems like an excellent harm reduction measure.

This would be the best harm reduction device ever, if only someone would actually build it: http://www.medteceurope.com/resources/medtech-gadet-alert-medical-feather

Happy and safe shooting!

Also, use 30G 0.5" needles; they're much more comfortable, and you can direct the needle more accurately and precisely.

TSLexi I'm not quite sure I would recommend going THAT far, I mean, maybe if someone is giving themselves facet injections then sure lol. I'm not being a dick though just keeping things light but honestly as a former paramedic, I can tell you that things such as a portable ultrasound for the average user would probably cause more problems and issues than it would fix. You'd have people using them to try to locate deep veins in their thighs and ending up with DVT or knicking arteries

TSLexi I'm not quite sure I would recommend going THAT far, I mean, maybe if someone is giving themselves facet injections then sure lol. I'm not being a dick though just keeping things light but honestly as a former paramedic, I can tell you that things such as a portable ultrasound for the average user would probably cause more problems and issues than it would fix. You'd have people using them to try to locate deep veins in their thighs and ending up with DVT or knicking arteries

Well, if you teach them how Doppler works, they could avoid arteries. Also, 0.5" needles are too short to get into arteries and deep veins, IIRC. And US isn't high enough resolution to safely do facet injections, lol.

And DVT risk can be reduced taking an aspirin every day.

I love medical imaging and image-guided treatments...I wanted to become an interventional and nuclear radiologist until my transition kinda threw my life off course. I was absolutely thrilled with the idea of being able to image and help treat trauma, cancer, and myriads of other things that formerly required open surgery, with percutaneous image-guided procedures.

Catheter angiography is fucking amazing.

Come on now, give yourself some credit, if you want to do it, go for it! I'm living proof that the stereotypical stigma associated with drug users is total bull, I hold a degree in emergency medicine and engineering, it's all what you put your mind to. None of this "got thrown off track" mess ;) I've made my rounds in the rehab circuit myself so trust me when I say you sound like a pretty sharp person. Never let anyone, including the demons in your head, tell you that you can't do something. You've got a good theory about the US don't get me wrong, you should try and get some local exchanges to implement your ideas and educate users. That in itself would be amazing. Back to the topic though if anyone finds themselves in the situation that the OP was in its always best to err on the side of caution and not let a little slip up get out of hand and turn into a major health issue. Got to look out for number one first and foremost when it comes to our particular type of recreation!

Come on now, give yourself some credit, if you want to do it, go for it! I'm living proof that the stereotypical stigma associated with drug users is total bull, I hold a degree in emergency medicine and engineering, it's all what you put your mind to. None of this "got thrown off track" mess ;) I've made my rounds in the rehab circuit myself so trust me when I say you sound like a pretty sharp person. Never let anyone, including the demons in your head, tell you that you can't do something. You've got a good theory about the US don't get me wrong, you should try and get some local exchanges to implement your ideas and educate users. That in itself would be amazing. Back to the topic though if anyone finds themselves in the situation that the OP was in its always best to err on the side of caution and not let a little slip up get out of hand and turn into a major health issue. Got to look out for number one first and foremost when it comes to our particular type of recreation!

It's more like I'm not in a position to pursue my original dream anymore, because I have a disabled veteran wife who's 18 years older (I'm 24, she's 42 and also MtF), two awesome housemates I rescued from homelessness, and I run my own futures trading LLC...and I live in the middle of nowhere and never managed to complete my immunology degree when I was studying in England. I let myself and my parents down by being an arrogant lazy spendthrift bitch....

Anything is possible for me, but not everything is practical.

What are your thoughts on my portable US idea? The needle exchange is two hours away, only open Wednesdays, and I have no reason to use it, because I order my gear from medical supply companies. And the exchange probably don't have the type of syringes and needles I prefer.

Perhaps needle exchanges could teach users how to install IV catheters, so they don't have to constantly puncture their veins, just inject through a port, and get the catheter changed every few days.

Please friend me, you seem like an awesome dude.

Glad to see some more responses! That gadget is badass...didn't know that even existed. If I had the money to spend on that I would. But I don't IV enough to buy one of those. That's crazy though...would love to get one. I think what happened was just one of those things that happens randomly and can't really be explained unless it were to happen under medical supervision. If it happens repeatedly then I'll look into it more. Right now I'm just going to continue using as safe as possible like I have been and hopefully it won't happen again.

I'm not sure what happened to my post but I saw that ultrasound machine. I commented how these long black lines don't map out my veins well enough. If this double posted, expect a Yakov Smirnoff type punchline. Hilarious hijynx ensue.

Glad to see some more responses! That gadget is badass...didn't know that even existed. If I had the money to spend on that I would. But I don't IV enough to buy one of those. That's crazy though...would love to get one. I think what happened was just one of those things that happens randomly and can't really be explained unless it were to happen under medical supervision. If it happens repeatedly then I'll look into it more. Right now I'm just going to continue using as safe as possible like I have been and hopefully it won't happen again.

Were you referring to the GE V-Scan, or the Medical Feather; only the former actually exists; the latter is just an awesome concept for a medical gadget.

TSLexi I think you're on to a good idea, in theory at least anyway. Now you just need to figure out some way to implement it and use your knowledge to help people. Not trying to get too far off topic but as a side note I used to be married to an older woman myself who was 42 while I was 24 and she had three daughters so I know what it's like to take on responsibilities like that and it takes a tall measure of a man to do it so props to you brother. Now, onto the teaching laymen how to initiate catheters... Ehhhhh..I would have to say most definitely not, hell they're hard enough to do when you're a paramedic or nurse in a favorable environment let alone. Also catheters require extreme diligence to ensure they do not become infected or form clots. Think about it, it's hard enough to get some people to follow simple HR such as using alcohol swabs, imagine if they had a constant opening into their body with no way of properly keeping it sanitized, eek. Maybe a small pocket sized guide to vein anatomy would be a better fit in the scenario you're talking about. Just my .02 :)