• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Should I go back on buprenorphine?

Thanks for the post Po. Do you mind if I ask why you desire to discontinue the bupe, and from what dose you previously tried to jump?

No problem. This time around I've made some changes in my life that stimulate my mind and give me things to look forward too. Given that I was depressed the last time I tried to quit, and I'm not now, I may have a better chance. If I'm reasonably able to end the dependency, I just think it's logical to do so. If things really don't work out, then I don't have any problem with being on a low but stable dose in the long-term.

My first attempt at a jump was at 2mg. The first day was nothing and the second day was mild fatigue. Days 3 and 4 became unbearable. My whole body ached and every extremity felt like it weighed 1000 pounds. Sleep became an impossibility. I was anxious and depressed. I couldn't stop thinking about taking something for relief, not even for 10 seconds. I quickly learned that was way too high of a dose to jump from. This time around it will be much slower, basically down to the point where I'm taking .5 every other day. I'm currently at 4-6mg per day (down from 16mg a few months ago) so it'll still be awhile.

Thanks, that's helpful. When I jumped from 2mgs, years ago, I experienced a very similar hell...weeks of intense acute withdrawal, and a year of post acute. I had been through heroin withdrawal several times, but jumping off of bupe from that dose left a mark heroin never did. Which is exactly why I struggle with the idea of even using buprenorphine for a trial period now. However, as you mentioned, I've heard people have far better luck with long, slow tapers.