• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Should I get a pulse oximeter?

TSLexi

Bluelighter
Hey guys!

I've recently ordered a 50 pack of 1 mL 0.5" 30G syringes, bacteriostatic injection solution, and sterile empty vials to fill with a "known" concentration of heroin solution (I will assume the heroin is 100% pure, since it's better to overestimate purity than underestimate), and antiseptic swabs, because I want to make sure I am as safe as reasonably possible when shooting up.

I'd like to know if I should also get a pulse oximeter, and set it to alarm if my SpO2 drops below 90%, since a SpO2 below that indicates hypoxia, and my wife and/or housemates should call EMS.

Thanks all!

A more reliable indicator of respiratory depression secondary to opiates is respiratory rate. Normal range is 12-20 breaths per minute. Most hospitals will administer Narcan if respirations drop below 8/min and person is difficult/unable to be aroused. Get a baseline of your resting respiratory rate (count the number of full breaths, in and out equals 1, in 60 seconds) prior to using then have your wife check them again if you become difficult to arouse.

A pulse ox is fine if you want one but they are not always the most reliable. Readings are effected by temperature, circulation, nail polish, poor connection with skin, low sensitivity, etc. You can also be experiencing dangerous levels of respiratory depression but still have a normal pulse oximetry reading. It's fine to use as a secondary measure of poor oxygenation but can be misleading either way. Best way for your wife to check on you is 1) are you consistently easily arousable. And 2) Are you breathing at least 8 times/min regularly with no signs of apnea (pauses in breathing) or distress (visibly labored, irregular respirations, using accessory muscles to breathe, etc.) If you are able to be awoken and can respond appropriately but respirations are low have your wife get you up and moving then recheck.

If at any point your wife can not wake you to a reasonable level of alertness and/or your breathing becomes shallow, labored, or stops emergency services should be called and they should be made aware it is a possible opiate overdose so they respond quickly and with Narcan ready.

Thanks for the info.

What do you think of my dilution and injection setup?

Everything sounds fine. I wouldn't premix vials of heroin solution very far ahead of time, though. 24 hours worth maybe. Especially if you're making multidose vials. The risk of bacterial growth and degradation of product isn't worth the convenience really.

Also, be cautious of using the same needle to draw up with through the vial and inject with. Ideally, once the needle punctures the stopper of the vial it should not be used to inject with because of blunting/barbing. Didn't see anything listed to filter with either. Make sure you're doing a cold mixture, no heat to prevent dissolution of some cuts, and using at the very least a cotton filter.

I'm going to order a micron filter from the same place I got my other supplies. Also, the injection solution is bacteriostatic, as it contains benzyl alcohol.

I'd just mix a morning and evening solution.

I studied pharmacy technology in community college, so I know how to properly reconstitute powdered drugs: http://www.atitesting.com/ati_next_...ication-administration-3/equipment/vials.html

I'd never heat the stuff. That's a waste of butane; why do people do it?

Sounds like a good plan. Many users wrongly assume that they are not getting all of the active ingredient without heating. It is a long standing argument between IV users. I've always been firmly on the no heat side of things.

I mean, is it really that hard to Google heroin's solubility in water?

Some, even with the facts known, still insist they only "get high" when heating their solution. If this is anything other than placebo I'm assuming it comes from the heat dissolving a certain cutting agent that increases itching, diplopia, sedation, etc. thus giving a difference of effect when heated. It seems to be however one learns their first time to prepare their DOC becomes ingrained in the ritual aspect of IV drug use and, regardless of facts, they are hard-pressed to change their method out of loyalty to the ritual.