• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

should i bother making a gravity bong?

livinginahaze

Bluelighter
im a daily weed smoker and smoke out of a regular bong most of the time cause if i use a bowl its harder to get a decent high with my tolerance. ive heard that gravity bongs hit a lot harder but they sound like a pain to make and im also paranoid i'll mess it up and waste my bud. so is it pretty easy to get right first try or would it not be hard to mess it up if you've never used one before? and how much stronger is a hit from one compared to a glass bong? ive heard they're really harsh on your lungs and mine are not the best, one of the things i like about my bong is how they cool the smoke to help with coughing. if gravity bongs are hard enough on my lungs it might not be worth it to me so i was curious how harsh they really are

this last part is somewhat off topic but ive been using addy recently and really struggling with getting to sleep much at all so if anyone happens to have used a gravity bong before when coming down from addy or some other upper i'd be curious to know if you'd recommend using it. in the past ive successfully slept after smoking enough marijuana but recently it hasnt been countering the crash as well as it used to

They're good for parties but other than that I find them some what pointless. They allow you to get huge hits but the point of a bong is to cool the smoke when its pulled through the water allowing you to take bigger hits. With a G bong the smoke just sits on top and the water just helps force big/harsh hits.

Last edited:
Some people may scorn me for saying it, but gravity bongs are a novelty really.

Then again it depends what you mean by gravity bong.

You can get well made gravity bongs, which will pull through a chamber using gravity. You turn it upside down and the water draining through the chamber, pulls through the bowl etc... which in a way, aren't so bad. I wouldn't say they'd give much difference in terms of size of a hit compared to a normal bong. An you're limited on pull.

Then you get the homemade style gravity bongs, which like someone above me said, just leaves the smoke sitting on top of the water, never being bubbled through. It's harsh, a lot of residual oil from the smoke, makes it harsh, gives you a bad cough after a while. It's just novelty more than practical.

Honestly, if you want a bigger hit, just get a bigger bowl for your bong or better yet, invest in a vape.

Then you get the homemade style gravity bongs, which like someone above me said, just leaves the smoke sitting on top of the water, never being bubbled through. It's harsh, a lot of residual oil from the smoke, makes it harsh, gives you a bad cough after a while. It's just novelty more than practical.

I feel bad for anyone trying to g-bong this way. you can get long downstems that extend most of the bottle's length to ensure the smoke does percolate through the water, the end result is a very smooth/cooled hit that personally I have found to be even more mild than a bong hit but with a lot more intensity behind it.

Actually building the g-bong is easy, you just need a bucket and a bottle and a bowl with downstem to fit into the cap. you can either cut the bum off a 2L soda bottle or if you want to use a smaller glass bottle (recommended because of the tapered neck and it will eat less herb) then there's the ol acetone + string trick

Form My Personally Experience Gravity Bongs are Equal Or Come Close to REGULAR BONGS But ONLY IF USED PROPERLY And in My Opinion Regular Bongs are Smoother And Less Harsh Smoke From the Water And Or Ice Catchers Cooling Down the Smoke Allowing you to Inhale it More Deeply Hence Reason you Pull Or Release the Carb To Shoot ALL THE SMOKE DEEP Into Your Lungs To Achieve A Far Better Absorption And A High As A Result.

if youve never used a gravity bong then its def worth tryin atleast once... but like someone else said its more of a once in a blue moon sorta thing... def not something for using daily... atleast IMO...

You don't use a bucket bong for comfort, you use it to make shit weed have some sort of kick.

Our cleaner at university used to change the water in our bucket that was stored under the bed

oooo OTW... its not used to give shitty weed a kick its used by teenagers who are to young or to scared to go buy some glass ware and have to much free time on their hands... do you not remeber being young? lol we use to just make that shit out of bordom...

I'd rather not smoke out of plastic bottles that weren't designed for it. Used to do that stuff as a kid, but it's harsh, feels unhealthy & there are much better options nowadays.

If you want a big hit then save up for a plenty vaporizer, or maybe even a volcano, nothing hits bigger than a quality vaporizer.

If you want a big hit then save up for a plenty vaporizer, or maybe even a volcano, nothing hits bigger than a quality vaporizer.

true that... if youve never smoked out of a volcano your just missing out on life...

this one dude around here was selling one for like 75 bucks on craigs list a couple years back and i called him at like 10am and he said he just sold it 20 mins earlier... ahh the one that got away...

but yea def 100% worth the investment...

I rate the plenty higher, it's more portable (a bit, still needs mains power & not pocket sized), cheaper, no messing with bags & it hits harder, can fit more weed in it than a volcano. Same great build quality, can't see it ever breaking & it hardly even needs cleaning, even with me on it I think it'd take years to block it up. The steel coil/whip/mouthpiece cools the vapour just enough to take huge hits without it losing much potency. I got mine second hand on ebay for half the retail price, one of my best purchases ever. They use half as much weed to get me twice as stoned as smoking, it's amazing how much you're wasting by smoking it. Pays for itself quickly if you smoke a lot.

Last edited:
It's likely not worth it to switch your method of smoking to a g bong. . If you're concerned about waste and tollerance; get a vaporizer