• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Should Colorado repeal legal marijuana?

lolwhatzdrugs

Bluelighter
CBS 9 News.com said:
FORT COLLINS, Colo. – Nearly a year into legalized sales of recreational pot, the two main candidates for Colorado governor mulled the idea of repealing the law in a 9NEWS debate Thursday.

Republican challenger Bob Beauprez (a former congressman) advocated for a statewide vote on repealing the legalized sale of cannabis.

Gov. John Hickenlooper said a vote on repeal would be "premature," but agreed there is cause for alarm over the effect the drug might have on young people.

Asked if he thought the law should be repealed, Beauprez said he shared the position of a hospital executive who told him, "I think we're going to have to lead an effort to ask Colorado exactly that question and see if this citizens think this is a step that maybe we've gone too far."

"I think we're at that point where the consequences that we've already discovered from this may be far greater than the liberty, I guess, that the citizens thought they were embracing," Beauprez said.

"I'm not going to go as far as to say we should lead an effort to make it illegal," replied Hickenlooper. "But I do think that we have to put more resources to make sure that kids and parents understand that this is not like sneaking a beer out when you're younger."

Governors do not have the power under Colorado law to simply call a statewide vote on a ballot issue, but their support of such initiatives can raise the profile and fundraising ability of ballot issue campaigns.

The marijuana industry balked at Beauprez's suggestion that voters should consider a repeal of the law, known as Amendment 64.

"Bob Beauprez's statements are misguided," wrote Mike Elliot of the Marijuana Industry Group. "Repealing Amendment 64 would kill tens of thousands of jobs, destroy thousands of businesses, and return us to a failed policy that emboldens the black market and drug cartels."

Marijuana advocates are fond of noting that marijuana got more votes than President Obama did in Colorado during the 2012 election, with 55 percent in favor.

However, recent polling has appeared to show at least some degree of regret.

A USA Today/Suffolk University poll last month found that 50 percent of voters now disagree with the decision to legalize pot, while 46 still agreed with the policy.

A vote on repealing legal marijuana could be forced in one of two ways: a two-thirds vote of the state legislature, or a signature-gathering petition.

The relatively low number of voter signatures required (currently 86,000) to force a vote on issues was a major factor in making Colorado the first state in the nation to legalize cannabis sales to adults, drawing some state lawmakers to advocate for a higher number of signatures for ballot initiatives that
Source http://www.9news.com/story/news/local/2014/10/10/should-colorado-repeal-legal-marijuana/17037649/

Yeah, beer is nothing like cannabis! Cannabis destroys the liver, is physically addictive, linked with impulsivity and total lack of motor control - that's why beer is socially acceptable! Oh... wait!

make sure that kids and parents understand that this is not like sneaking a beer out when you're younger.
------

Kids have been stealing weed from their parents stash for a long long time.

bullshit. moving in the wrong direction, fucking conservatives make me sick.

I don't think it will. But you know that simpsons episode where they repeal medical marijuana because all the stoners "space" on the day they were supposed to vote (the date was last week or something). Maybe....

They burn all the weed and everyones trying to inhale it so they throw barber hair on the fire lol

Good luck, with occupancy rates at an all time high and a pretty sweet economy rolling, money flying into the state, and no major problems except for the made up propaganda bullshit the wacked out control freak prohibitionists make up.. you puritan whack jobs don't have a chance.

This weed thing in colorado has really driven the nail home that a large percentage of the population "is dumb as rocks." I say we make procreation by you simpletons illegal.

Last edited:
And from what I understand it's much of the money flowing into legal shops in colorado is from tourists (washington has a system and requirements which has limited supply drastically - high prices and two shops are what I believe are in WA). I believe the article I read stated that only suckers and tourists go to the recreational shops as a medical card allows you access to cannabis that is easily acquired and subsidized or just available cheaply.

Isn't it fucked up how negative toned articles always call it by the racist, anti-Mexican name marihuana.

Politicians can claim it was reckless, other politicians running can claim they will repeal. Alcohol and tobacco industries can pour money into bad propaganda and pay scientists to come out against cannabis. Mothers against legal pot can set up websites vowing to fight legal cannabis. More and more propaganda can come out against cannabis, the dangers, the children, the harm.

But... nothing can stop the momentum of the cannabis legalization movement. It had been building up for years and is now exploding in the right direction. The momentum is so strong on legalization that a politician claiming to repeal will be as effective as one man trying to stop a speeding locomotive with his hands. In fact, I believe, IMO, that all we have to do is keep the momentum going and we will see more states legalize. The people say so!!

The Dutch politicians also threaten to do this stuff, I think its just for show. No government anywhere bans something that makes them rich.

Marijuana laws are harsh as fuck here in Florida but it literally everyday I saw kids buying, selling, and using it right on campus and in the church parking lot across the street from the school.

Yea they could repeal it but then they could say goodbye to all that sweet sweet money lol. I really hope the gov will get with it one day....

I'm willing to bet my collection of marbles that Amendment 64 will never be repealed - the pro-A64 lobbyists will see to it after all the cheese they've managed to rake in, and a significant portion of which will no doubt exchange hands between businessmen and politicians in order to get said politicians to back off.

The flood gates have opened, the genie is out of the bottle, the roof is on fire, Americans have now seen the back of a $20 bill on legal weed, who let the dogs out (woof!), etc.

Amendment 64 is here to stay, I say, ho'kay, g'day.

As a Brit - who can never imagine weed being legalized in the UK - it cracks me up that in the vast majority of America guns are readily and legally available whereas pot is treated with the same severity as if it were cystal meth or heroin or coke in 48 of the 50 states. Talk about giving logic and evidence the finger!!!!

I for one would shed tears if the moronic right repealed this epic step in the right direction which WA and CO have dared to take.

Just out of curiosity what sales tax does one pay in WA and CO to buy pot? How much dough are those two states actually making?

As a Brit - who can never imagine weed being legalized in the UK - it cracks me up that in the vast majority of America guns are readily and legally available whereas pot is treated with the same severity as if it were cystal meth or heroin or coke in 48 of the 50 states. Talk about giving logic and evidence the finger!!!!

Do you agree that the recreational consumption of illegal/controlled mind altering substances is a victimless 'crime?'

I mean of course in the majority of cases where the consumer is non-violent, and never does end up actually victimizing a potential victim (e.g. a non-consenting human being).

Well, if you do believe that it's a victimless 'crime' (which I believe also, and I use the quotes around 'crime' because I don't see it as a crime to begin with), then check this 'logic' out:

The piracy of software, video games, movies, music, books, and so forth is defined as the theft of intellectual property belonging to a third party. And since it usually costs a lot of time, effort, and money to make games, movies, music, and software (among other IP), then the owner/author of the intellectual property which was pirated is technically a victim because of the loss of money.

How many people are arrested daily for (digital) piracy?

How many people are doing time in prison for (digital) piracy?

The point I'm trying to make is that (digital) piracy is more of a crime than recreational drug use (of certain intoxicants) ever has, or ever will be, yet, here we are with this type of piracy being treated by governments around the world as a civil matter (in the vast majority of cases).

It just boggles my mind that all these pro-drug war idiots who also happen to have no qualms about pirating their copies of Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, and so forth are able to live with this choice, and many other contradictions and double-standards which appear to fly over their heads without a second thought.

I am not certain of where I was going with this, other than to point out the absurdity in the priorities of law enforcement organizations and governing bodies around the developed world.

I mean, why in the blue fuck is there no Digital Piracy Enforcement Agency? I know... not enough money to be plundered from digital pirates, but at least a non-consenting victim would be present in all cases (unlike in non-violent cases of people being busted for possession of a street drug for personal use). Blah.