• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Shots fired at Denver marijuana holiday rally

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
Gunfire erupted at a Denver park Saturday, injuring two people and sending tens of thousands gathered for an annual pot celebration fleeing the area, police said.

A crowd of marijuana smokers expected to swell to 80,000 had gathered at the park to mark the counterculture holiday known as 4/20 on the first celebration since Colorado and Washington made pot legal for recreational use. The shooting happened at about 5 p.m. and shortly after pot smokers shared hugs and joints in a mass 4:20 p.m. smoke-out.

Police spokesman Sonny Jackson confirmed two people had been shot and both were taken to a hospital with injuries that did not appear to be life-threating. The gunshots quickly dispelled the festive atmosphere, with police swarming the scene.

Witnesses said they heard three or more shots and crime tape was around the pavilion where the celebration was being held.

Aerial footage showed the massive crowd frantically running from the park.

A sizable police force on motorcycles and horses had been watching the celebration. But officers didn't arrest people for smoking in public, which is still illegal.

Ian Bay, who was skateboarding through Civic Center Park when shots erupted, said he was listening to music on his headphones when he looked to his right and saw a swarm of hundreds of people running at him.

"I sort of panicked. I thought I was going through an anxiety thing because so many people were coming after me," he said.

Before the shooting, reggae music filled the air, and so did the smell of marijuana, as celebrants gathered by mid-morning in the park just beside the state Capitol.

cont at
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/04/20/denver-pot-holiday/2098755/

Great just what we need more fuel for the anti drug nut jobs just because of some ass hole who was most likely drunk and n other drugs and/or mentally. It's stupid how these people don't seem to give a shit when this happens at bars. It will be funny if he ends up not having any marijuana in his system.

Great just what we need more fuel for the anti drug nut jobs just because of some ass hole who was most likely drunk and n other drugs and/or mentally. It's stupid how these people don't seem to give a shit when this happens at bars. It will be funny if he ends up not having any marijuana in his system.
I feel ya man. But in some places you arnt allowed to bring a gun in a bar. They should treat this the same way I think. Not that marijuana makes people go shooting their gun off but if they are serving alcohol it's probably a good idea.

I have been unimpressed with the behaviour at 4/20 and the global MJ march in Toronto and Vancouver. Drug dealers fighting over turf, drunk people being idiots, 12 year olds there smoking weed. Homeless people collecting roachs. Its bad enough that half the people you see there need a haircut and shower. I volunteered at a booth one year and caught like 5 people trying to steal pipes. One guy i saw try to start a riot by blowing weed smoke on a cop. My yuppie pot head friends want nothing to do with the whole scene, and thats part of the problem. People at those rallies don't represent me.

Marijuana still has associations with real criminals, in part because it is still illegal (most places), and only recently became legal in some places.

But there were what? 10,000 people? Get 10,000 alcys together in one place and see what happens.

Last edited:
These sort of events typically attract the wrong sorts of people, and by that I certainly don't mean people who which to take pride in smoking weed and protest prohibition. A protest where people openly flout the law (even a bullshit law) will obviously attract people who have contempt for law in general, not just bullshit drug law.

What's so tragic, broken and downright evil about drug law, is when you make crimes out of things that aren't real crimes, all you end up achiving is creating real criminals and real crime, sever good, productive people from society, all while doing nothing to curb the original pseudo-crime. Banning something never makes it go away, especially if it is normal human behaviour

Man, my older hippy friend ended up working at a state park near there and was so excited that he would get to be going this year. And then this happens. Dammitall.

it was probably a hired gun to fuel the fire that marijuana attract a criminal element (conspiracy theory anyone?) lol..