• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Shocking feeling every now and then

Strboss2015

Greenlighter
I am a daily user of meth and I sometimes feel like electricity shocking my body am wondering what it is from ie lack of water or food. I sleep regularly and function just fine if anybody can share some insite would be great

This... sounds nuts.

I know that meth somehow affects the brain like SRRI's do. Whatever that means. Brain zap perhaps? Anyone clarify what it could be?

It's most likely over stimulation of your CNS. I've had it before. It's different than brain zaps.

I get it with coke more than meth, usually starts happening after week long binges for me. Haven't experienced it in years though, I don't binge on stims that much anymore.

Brain zaps. I got these from SSRIs and too much ecstasy but not as much from meth but sometimes.

@Strboss2015

OP can you specify what it feels like a bit more?

I've felt both brain zaps and body shocks

brain zaps feels like your brain glitches out for a second

body shocks feels like electricity coming out of your spine into your limbs

IMO at least, I think they are 2 different things.

either way your best bet is to take a break from the stims

@Strboss2015

OP can you specify what it feels like a bit more?

I've felt both brain zaps and body shocks

brain zaps feels like your brain glitches out for a second

body shocks feels like electricity coming out of your spine into your limbs

IMO at least

either way your best bet is to take a break from the stims
I’ve slowed down but it feel your body glitches and cannot control movement for 2 or 3 seconds almost fell on my ass the other night. I don’t know if it is siezures or tremors

I’ve slowed down but it feel your body glitches and cannot control movement for 2 or 3 seconds almost fell on my ass the other night. I don’t know if it is siezures or tremors

Involuntary movements/spasms? Sounds like CNS problem or over stimulation, but I'm no expert. I would take a break from the meth and see if it gets better. Meth has extremely powerful CNS effects.

Could also be a lack of vitamins, do you take vitamins/supplements?

Last edited:
I try to stay hydrated and take vitamins protein shakes when I’m not too hungry but I need to improve on it

This... sounds nuts.

I know that meth somehow affects the brain like SRRI's do. Whatever that means. Brain zap perhaps? Anyone clarify what it could be?

Do you know why that is?

When I have been taking meth daily for any longer than a week and then stop, I get brain zaps that feel exactly like what you get in SSRI withdrawal, as well as my whole baseline equilibrium being skewed and erratic feeling. I also get a strong tinnitus and histamine response. All together, it can feel pretty unbearable and sometimes will prompt use to relieve it when I had started out with the aim of taking a break

I typically use meth interchangeably with dexedrine, adderall and vyvanse and sometimes in combination. I've just come to think of it as amphetamine withdrawal, but the literature has never made any mention of withdrawal symptoms for amphetamines beyond things like mood, energy and temperament. I don't get crashes, or depression or anxiety after a binge or any kind of cessation. Other than I can be acutely short tempered, I don't suffer any of what you typically read or hear from other users about post amphetamine states. I get that in spades from cocaine, but with amphetamines, it's debilitating physical symptoms that feel like my brain is malfunctioning.

This sound familiar to anyone?

Do you know why that is?

When I have been taking meth daily for any longer than a week and then stop, I get brain zaps that feel exactly like what you get in SSRI withdrawal, as well as my whole baseline equilibrium being skewed and erratic feeling. I also get a strong tinnitus and histamine response. All together, it can feel pretty unbearable and sometimes will prompt use to relieve it when I had started out with the aim of taking a break

I typically use meth interchangeably with dexedrine, adderall and vyvanse and sometimes in combination. I've just come to think of it as amphetamine withdrawal, but the literature has never made any mention of withdrawal symptoms for amphetamines beyond things like mood, energy and temperament. I don't get crashes, or depression or anxiety after a binge or any kind of cessation. Other than I can be acutely short tempered, I don't suffer any of what you typically read or hear from other users about post amphetamine states. I get that in spades from cocaine, but with amphetamines, it's debilitating physical symptoms that feel like my brain is malfunctioning.

This sound familiar to anyone?

The red-flag point here is that the symptoms are causing you to re-dose when you intended to have a break. One major withdrawal symptom of amps, especially meth, is craving that emerges around 2 days after your last dose. I’ve never heard it manifesting as brain zaps but definitely as ‘baseline equilibrium’ being out of whack and feeling very erratic.

DO you keep up your Rx type amps when you stop taking meth? That could account for lack of real comedown feelings. Maybe a total amp rest for a couple for weeks would be a good idea and see if the effects subside.

Also, hard to see the point in mixing those Rx amps with meth. If you take them first they will bind to receptors and take the edge of your meth (or maybe this only an issue for people looking for a rush) and if you take them at the same time the meth will just overpower them. However, I’m curious if you see any benefit or novel experience in taking them together?

I think I know what you are experiencing. I get those from opiates. I think they fall under myoclonus jerks/jolts. That being said, I think, as "safe" as they may be, they do represent your central nervous system being overwhelmed. I went five days last week without using opiates, and I didn't get any of these. Then I used Suboxone a few days ago, and I got them again. I take them very seriously, even though they seem to go away when I stop using.

I relate to what the OP is explaining though it's hard to say it's the same thing. I haven't experienced it in a long time but throughout the first 2 yrs of regular meth use I would get random jolts, shakes, and randomly get dizzy out of nowhere. The severity of it was always different as well. I know that jolts, shaking, and tremors are usually due to the CNS trying to regain control as the signal from dopamine receptors has been all kinds of fucked.

I am a daily user of meth and I sometimes feel like electricity shocking my body am wondering what it is from ie lack of water or food. I sleep regularly and function just fine if anybody can share some insite would be great

This is more than likely peripheral neuropathy of some form and more than likely exacerbated by stimulant use.

This is more than likely peripheral neuropathy of some form and more than likely exacerbated by stimulant use.

Deru, do you know if these forms of neuropathy that seem clearly associated with drug use will eventually lead to things like autonomic neuropathy - the form of neuropathy that Johnny Cash?

A friend and fellow lightweight competitive strongman of mine was drinking FOUR Monster Energy drink per day, and after a few months of doing this, ended up getting numbness all throughout his left leg. I think in time, things got better, but it shocked me what an over-the-counter drug could do when done 4x the daily limit [because I think I am not the only BlueLighter to have gone over 4x the daily limit of our drug of choice - in my case: opiates!].

I definitely get a little myoclonus when I do opiates. That, in itself, is not a huge concern. I used to go to sleep using Xanax to attempt to sleep through withdrawal of opiates, and find myself waking up in the middle of the night with sleep paralysis. I think my body wanted to wake me up to re-dose the opiates, but the Xanax wanted to keep me asleep; hence the sleep paralysis. Now THAT made me much more concerned about damage to my central nervous than the myoclonus - which is something I have had to some extent my entire life [as is true of many of us - myoclonus is quite normal...sleep paralysis is normal too, but not at the frequency I was getting it at when combining opiates and benzodiazepines, which leads me to believe it was absolutely my drug use which caused it].

Also, sort of on-topic, sort of not: does anyone here do tests to see if they have damaged their CNS? I often try to hold my hands in front of me, and look for even the slightest shaking of my fingers. If I see nothing, I consider that to be a good sign.

Deru, do you know if these forms of neuropathy that seem clearly associated with drug use will eventually lead to things like autonomic neuropathy - the form of neuropathy that Johnny Cash?

It would depend upon the underlying cause. Diseases, disorders or drug use that affects the nervous system can lead to peripheral or autonomic neuropathy. Vitmain deficiency, specifically B6 and B12 can lead to neuropathy as well.

does anyone here do tests to see if they have damaged their CNS?

Deep tendon reflex test would be one (think: when your doctor taps your knee and the resulting involuntary reaction.) There is also a test where you test for symmetrical feeling on body for specific dermatones to test the specific level spinal nerve they are connected to.

It would depend upon the underlying cause. Diseases, disorders or drug use that affects the nervous system can lead to peripheral or autonomic neuropathy. Vitmain deficiency, specifically B6 and B12 can lead to neuropathy as well.

Deep tendon reflex test would be one (think: when your doctor taps your knee and the resulting involuntary reaction.) There is also a test where you test for symmetrical feeling on body for specific dermatones to test the specific level spinal nerve they are connected to.

I’ve had the tip of one finger in my left hand go quite numb - is that an example of peripheral neuropathy? I’m not sure whether I hit a nerve further up my arm with a needle, whether it is a masturbation injury (don’t ask), or a symptom of something I should worry about.

is that an example of peripheral neuropathy?

Technically, yes. The nervous system is divided between central (brain and spine) and peripheral (everything else.) Anything that affects the ability of a nerve to transmit electrical impulses is a neuropathy of some form (numbness, weakness, tingling, pins and needles, electricity and prickly sensations) and where the nerve is decides if it's central (i.e. autonomic) or peripheral.

or a symptom of something I should worry about.

If it's a temporary loss from compression on a nerve, then no. It's when there is damage or disease to the nerve that would be cause for concern, so typically short term numbness from IV use resolves on it's own (but not always, for the record.)

Last edited:
I get these zaps when I’m falling asleep sometimes after extended meth use. It’s frustrating as it totally prevents me from getting any sleep which is the only thing I want and need at that point of withdrawal.

The red-flag point here is that the symptoms are causing you to re-dose when you intended to have a break. One major withdrawal symptom of amps, especially meth, is craving that emerges around 2 days after your last dose. I’ve never heard it manifesting as brain zaps but definitely as ‘baseline equilibrium’ being out of whack and feeling very erratic.

DO you keep up your Rx type amps when you stop taking meth? That could account for lack of real comedown feelings. Maybe a total amp rest for a couple for weeks would be a good idea and see if the effects subside.

Also, hard to see the point in mixing those Rx amps with meth. If you take them first they will bind to receptors and take the edge of your meth (or maybe this only an issue for people looking for a rush) and if you take them at the same time the meth will just overpower them. However, I’m curious if you see any benefit or novel experience in taking them together?

On red-flags, yes I was disconcerted to find myself feeling so uncomfortably physically unwell from the absence of a drug I had thought not habit forming--I just wasn't expecting or prepared for it. I've had dependencies over the years, on alcohol and on heroin, and I've suffered extreme withdrawals innumerable times. A long time ago I decided to try and avoid using anything habit forming long enough to form a habit. I never use opiates for more than five days without a break--it doesn't seem to take much longer than that for them to start to dig into me again. If I've been in a phase where I basically always want to be under the influence, I rotate substances. My drinking patterns have varied a lot over the years, but generally I seem to drink less frequently and less heavily as I age. I try not to get very cosy with cocaine any more after years of shooting it, then years more of smoking it when my arms were getting tapped out. It may not generate any dependency, but the all-encompassing severity of obsession, craving, and constantly wanting more coupled with the horrible soul gnawing crashes was just too much cost. It is probably the only drug I hate. When I have enough amphetamines, I don't touch much of anything else at all anymore.

I've only been using amphetamines regularly for the last few years. I was assessed as being ADHD and prescribed accordingly. I was surprised at how I took to them as they'd never made much impression before. I really appreciated that they made it much easier to cope with high stimulus environments, like crowds, or malls, or anywhere many people are speaking over each other without any order. They make a lot of regular daily tasks feel less daunting and overwhelming. They also quell depressive states and the raw haunting by loss that I am, in my middle aged years, acutely plagued by, often with little ability to regulate. Amphetamines literally make me feel normal, and like I am "ok", that I am content. They make me feel not just able, but willing to go through my day. I do also appreciate sometimes taking excessive amounts, binging, and being very high--losing myself in hyperfocus, or just indulging in a protracted libidinous fervour; but it does seem to have hard limits as tolerance skyrockets that way, sometimes doubling with every dosing. It rapidly becomes costly in quantities consumed. I also just pretty much poop out after three or four days max with the itch for excessiveness well sated.

Even for maintenance usage, I have a greater tolerance than many people(always have and with most any substances) and take breaks pretty regularly. I don't find breaks need to be very lengthy to be effective. For the longest time I had a friendly connection for very reasonably priced, ample quantities of dexedrine and adderall with which to heavily supplement my actual script--usually five or six times the amount in my script, so, the lion share of my habit. At some point my connection ghosted me for nearly a year with no explanation, and has sadly done the same again. It's been about six months so far this time and she's still AWOL. Not fun.

It is only during this recent period that meth became something readily available to me. I briefly flirted with shooting it because it can be a real showstopper that way and I was just loving shooting again. But that shit is like battery acid, traumatizing what's left of my remaining spidery little veins. Hit or miss it seemed to ravage any entry point leaving worrisome hard discoloured knots. I have never known anything so noxious that screams "poison!" as crystal meth does. After playing around with eating it and booty bumping it, as both methods can also get enough in you at once to get really lit up, I put aside using it for getting fried and now generally just smoke it. It is so mild that way that it works well for more therapeutic purposes. It was a few months into this new drug regime that I started having the nasty brain skewed "withdrawals" from not using that feel just like SSRI cessation. It is harder to take breaks when that is in store. I have now read in several places now that one mechanism of meth acts on serotonin in some similar ways to those SSRIs which in my experience were nasty and toxic. Apparently it isn't that common, but some people get the brain zaps from meth and I seem to be one of them. Yay, i'm so special. . .

I've been slowly using less and using less regularly to minimize having symptoms when not using. It has me sad and frustrated though, because I'm left with the supply problem again. For a little context, the last decade plus of my life has been a terrible desolated era for me--I made some pivotal failures and also suffered some grievous essential losses. It was sufficient to break me in ways that just don't heal--I'm not really the same person I once was and I mostly find simply existing to be a gruelling yet banal marathon without end. Hence, I had been so relieved and soundly satisfied finding amphetamines. They had been reliably making life so bearable, and doable, that it's been maddening to simply not have access to adequate amounts. It certainly hasn't been comforting that the only other option is this shabby swampy chemical gunk that costs too much to be a real solution, doesn't work as well, doesn't feel as good, and has foul side effects. Not to mention having to mix with unpleasant unreliable people in a never-ending merry-go-round of foraging for the stuff.

Regarding balancing my Rx with meth, I don't. I often burn through my script fairly quickly and usually only find a little pharmaceutical supplementation here and there throughout the month. I go periods with nothing in my system and at other times might have two or three different stims in me. I've also found, as I originally posted, that it doesn't take that much meth use now to produce the strung out serotonin thing in my brain.

As far as mixing and matching substances go, I find all stimulants tend to stack well with each other, rather than cancelling each other out, or crowding my brain's hungry little receptors. I even rather like the feeling that coffee on top of amphetamines gives. The exception is coke. Coke and amphetamines don't work well together--i get less desired effects of both, and more undesired effects.

I honestly think my brain is severely deficient in something dopamine related, or else decades of being stuck on wellbutrin has destroyed something essential in there, because amphetamines are always smooth and copacetic in me and short of doing mountains of them, I just feel good, natural and, for lack of a better term, normal. They don't feel like escape, or getting wasted. I don't look or act much different even at the end of a large lengthy binge other than physical things like excessive perspiration or shaky hands(two issues I have already anyways). I have always tended towards tedious long-windedness, so the verbosity pills just make for a heady confluence. I don't get anxious or paranoid. I eat, I don't waste away. Unless I am intending a binge, I sleep well regularly. I've never had any psychotic type stuff go on (and that despite during my adolescence and twenties, I had severe bipolar episodes, so you'd think maybe I might be susceptible).

I was the same with coke, generally mellow and coherent despite a massive appetite for the stuff taken at the highest possible doses. So many people I know or cross paths with who use stims get so batshit, or agitated, sketchy, bobble-headed, paranoid or cognitively disordered. With many of them, I wonder why they use at all, because they don't seem to enjoy it and instead it seems to produce only distressing negative states.

Anywhoo, thanks for replying and the queries. I don't find many places to talk meaningfully about this facet of my life. Oh, lets face it, I don't find many places to talk about anything at all. I've been enjoying reading various threads.