• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Shitty first time - cannabis

JohnHancock

Greenlighter
My wife and I are both in our mid-40s. She used to smoke pot when she was younger (back in the 90s). I never tried smoking or any drugs before.

Some time ago my wife wanted to smoke some pot with me. Shd knows I never did it before. We went into a cannabis store and she talked with the staff for a while about all the times she smoked pot, hash and whatever. They recommended something for us to smoke together, considering she hasn't tried any in almost 30 years, and I have never smoked anything in my life (not even a cigarette).

We found a cozy spot near a beach and sat down. When she lit it and tried some, she said it was "very nice". I tried it, felt it burn my airways, coughed, and had a burnt taste in my mouth. I figured it was just something to get used to and has to get better so we finished the joint together. We sat in that beautiful quiet spot for a while.

Long story short, she said the pot was quite potent and made her feel really good. I felt completely sober, except for the rest of the day I had a really sore throat and lungs. She said that I seemed more relaxed to her (I sure didn't feel that way), but I really felt nothing new except for the lung pain and burnt taste.

My lungs felt raw and irritated for a week. She woyld like to try it together again, but I keep telling her that the experience totally sucked for me and I don't want to bother. She thinks I might enjoy it if I tried it another time. But there was nothing pleasant about my experience at all. Why would that change? How would I enjoy it? How does anyone enjoy it? She said her first time was really good.

We have some MDMA to try (which she has taken before a long time ago and is excited about), but trying pot was a total bust and I'm second-guessing trying the MDMA because of the crappy experience with pot.

Is the first time shitty for anybody else? Am I too old to try it for the first time? I don't understand how it's supposed to become an enjoyable thing.

How about trying vaping instead of inhaling the smoke of burning plant matter? It's usually easier on the throat and lungs. There are also cartridges you can get with concentrate. Similar experience to vaping but only take a really tiny hit, and I mean tiny. Then wait 10 minutes before taking another. If you don't feel anything just take another tiny hit

This is totally nothing new, it's very, very common for first-time users to report a lack of effects, or even uncertainty whether they felt anything or not. I'm not sure why this is - I felt it profoundly my first time smoking, and loved it.

I'd encourage you to give it another go with your wife, you never know. There are many, many potential benefits to be reaped from cannabis, both mental and physical, and i wouldn't let one negative experience taint your overall view. Maybe try another method, a smoother way to smoke such as through a bong (an ice bong would help hugely with the throat irritation you mentioned) or maybe a vape? Or skip the heat altogether and try a low dose edible?

And regardless of whether you decide to retry cannabis, please don't let this episode scare you away from the mdma... can't really compare apples and orange, much less lump them together, eh?

Most importantly, after you educate yourself and listen to everyone else's opinion, do what YOU think is right for YOU.

Cannabis is composed of endocannabinoids, phytocannabinoids and many other cannabinoids.

You have THC, which is the inactive compound of the cannabis (it still hasn't been consumed)
Then you have THC-A, which is the active compound that is activated you light up your joint, or, blunt etc that gets you high.
Then you have THC-G, THC-N, which are also responsible for several neurotransmitters in the human brain.

Get a drug testing kit and test the cannabis. It could be what you smoked had such a big amount of CBD that it messed with your lungs.
I've tried many varieties of weed and some made me cough, others didn't. Well, I feel like a fool writing this. But it could be true.

You're not used to smoking so you were keenly aware of lung irritation etc

It's well documented that first-time smokers often insisit they can feel no effect - I've seen it personally many times

I'd say give it another couple of attempts and then decide what's what (and yeah, a vape might be the way to go)

Cannabis is composed of endocannabinoids, phytocannabinoids and many other cannabinoids.

You have THC, which is the inactive compound of the cannabis (it still hasn't been consumed)
Then you have THC-A, which is the active compound that is activated you light up your joint, or, blunt etc that gets you high.
Then you have THC-G, THC-N, which are also responsible for several neurotransmitters in the human brain.

Get a drug testing kit and test the cannabis. It could be what you smoked had such a big amount of CBD that it messed with your lungs.
I've tried many varieties of weed and some made me cough, others didn't. Well, I feel like a fool writing this. But it could be true.
I just revisited this post. I'm also wondering which endocannabinoids are in cannabis, this is fascinating!

I just revisited this post. I'm also wondering which endocannabinoids are in cannabis, this is fascinating!
endo- per definition means that it is made by the human body itself, so there are none in cannabis I'd say? what that poster wrote doesn't sound very credible at all.

@JohnHancock yeah not getting high on the first try is really common. I'd also use a vaporizer if smoking was horrible to you. no need for getting user to that in this day and age. I'd recommend only taking a couple of hits at most. when it hits, weed can be really strong, especially for naive users. If you really don't want to bother again, also fair enough.

there’s a physiological process called enzyme induction which may affect some first users. The consumption can cause cellular surface transporters to increase in number which *may* explain why first time users do not get high.

Edibles are also a possible choice. No sore throat/lungs- but it can be u predictable for new users; frequently people feel they aren’t getting high, take more and then end up unpleasantly too high. A first time user should start with no more 5-10mg THC (5 would be better) and wait for a full 3 hours before redosing. A word of warning, edible highs can last what for some is an uncomfortably long time (6-8 hours), which isn’t pleasant if you’re having a bad time.

Tom

Pot and MDMA are totally different, so there's no need to let your experience with one carry over into expectations of the other. However, they do make a great combo.

Many people get little effect from their first times smoking pot. Personally i needed several times and rather high doses (for a rookie) before i could really tell i was feeling it.

If your lungs hurt, there's no need to keep pushing there. Use edibles next time!

Good luck. Exploring psychoactives together is a beautiful thing.

My wife and I are both in our mid-40s. She used to smoke pot when she was younger (back in the 90s). I never tried smoking or any drugs before.

Some time ago my wife wanted to smoke some pot with me. Shd knows I never did it before. We went into a cannabis store and she talked with the staff for a while about all the times she smoked pot, hash and whatever. They recommended something for us to smoke together, considering she hasn't tried any in almost 30 years, and I have never smoked anything in my life (not even a cigarette).

We found a cozy spot near a beach and sat down. When she lit it and tried some, she said it was "very nice". I tried it, felt it burn my airways, coughed, and had a burnt taste in my mouth. I figured it was just something to get used to and has to get better so we finished the joint together. We sat in that beautiful quiet spot for a while.

Long story short, she said the pot was quite potent and made her feel really good. I felt completely sober, except for the rest of the day I had a really sore throat and lungs. She said that I seemed more relaxed to her (I sure didn't feel that way), but I really felt nothing new except for the lung pain and burnt taste.

My lungs felt raw and irritated for a week. She woyld like to try it together again, but I keep telling her that the experience totally sucked for me and I don't want to bother. She thinks I might enjoy it if I tried it another time. But there was nothing pleasant about my experience at all. Why would that change? How would I enjoy it? How does anyone enjoy it? She said her first time was really good.

We have some MDMA to try (which she has taken before a long time ago and is excited about), but trying pot was a total bust and I'm second-guessing trying the MDMA because of the crappy experience with pot.

Is the first time shitty for anybody else? Am I too old to try it for the first time? I don't understand how it's supposed to become an enjoyable thing.
i never got stoned first time i smoked !! the second time though about a week later i was "oh right i like this" and is pretty much same story for every toker ive ever known

although mdma and weed are really different feelings, they both just make my body feel kind of weird. if a person isn't into their body feeling different, then maybe E isn't for them, but this poster wasn't saying that they didn't like the effect of weed from what i gather, they were saying they didn't get much feeling and they didn't like experieince with the smoke messing with them, so i might try some E to see if you really like to get your body feeling different, i mean, i can't describe weed or mdmas feelings, i just feel weird all over my body. i personally like the feeling of being stoned a lot more than rolling, but everyone is different... maybe rolling will make you want to try weed again from a vape or with edibles. people often describe edibles to be different than smoking, so you might want to read about that.

Did the OP say how they feel about alcohol? i feel like if a person wasn't into alcohol or weed, then maybe they just don't like drugs, but who knows then too. everyone is always different.

if you want to get into drugs, i might try some E and if you like the body high and how you feel, maybe read up about shrooms and go for those. no smoking involved, you can just make some tea with the shrooms.. i feel like the body high of E and shrooms are a little bit similar when not dosing the shrooms high, more similar than weed ime...

...both in our mid-40s. ... ...she hasn't tried any in almost 30 years, and I have never smoked anything in my life (not even a cigarette).

Well, that raises the matter of neuro-plasticity right there IMO. Then that of a consumption method & associated ritual, all messed up in a durable manner.

Well, that raises the matter of neuro-plasticity right there IMO. Then that of a consumption method & associated ritual, all messed up in a durable manner.

Neuro-plasticity? Could you explain what you mean for the layman, please? I'm not sure we understand you, the formation of synaptic connections doesn't really seem to have much to do with why a person who once got high isn't able to anymore. Are you saying their brains are growing in a way that makes them less capable...? Because that sounds inherently contradictory.

The inability to reach a "high" seems more of a matter concerning specific receptors and their ongoing ability to receive but, again, i'm just a layman trying to make sense of the words you're putting on my screen. I just get really confused at the thought of growth and new formations limiting prior pathways-- almost seems cancerous when I look at it from that perspective.

Last edited:
@JohnHancock I would suggest trying water soluble THC drops. A large number of benefits\

1) You can usually dose them down to 0.5mg, giving you precision, low dosing and fast onset, ~ equivalent to smoking.
2) Completely miscible (mixable) in liquids; so coffee, juice, soda pops, seltzer's, water, zero alcohol beers. Salad dressings!
Start low; 1-2 mg in a small amount of liquid, drink it. Wait for 30-60 minutes. you can redose if you feel 100% ok. if not,stop.

Again. This os water soluble THC drops and *not* THC in soluble oil. It might also be called complexed, nano-emulsified, hyperemulsified or sonicated.

Some of the chemicals used to help/assist/induce nanoemulsification are;

Betadex
Tocophersolan
Lecithin (not a modern emulsifier, but it works, just not as efficiently as the others)
Polysorbate80

Chemically speaking, you are looking for drops (or an edible) with a non ionic surfactant (google). Water solubility can also be induced with ultra high speed homogenization (blending).

Quick onset/comeup, only last 2-3 hours, can redose, has precision. Also available in gummies and other edible formats; but I like the precision/specificity of the drops.

Tom

@JohnHancock I would suggest trying water soluble THC drops. A large number of benefits\

1) You can usually dose them down to 0.5mg, giving you precision, low dosing and fast onset, ~ equivalent to smoking.
2) Completely miscible (mixable) in liquids; so coffee, juice, soda pops, seltzer's, water, zero alcohol beers. Salad dressings!
Start low; 1-2 mg in a small amount of liquid, drink it. Wait for 30-60 minutes. you can redose if you feel 100% ok. if not,stop.

Again. This os water soluble THC drops and *not* THC in soluble oil. It might also be called complexed, nano-emulsified, hyperemulsified or sonicated.

Some of the chemicals used to help/assist/induce nanoemulsification are;

Betadex
Tocophersolan
Lecithin (not a modern emulsifier, but it works, just not as efficiently as the others)
Polysorbate80

Chemically speaking, you are looking for drops (or an edible) with a non ionic surfactant (google). Water solubility can also be induced with ultra high speed homogenization (blending).

Quick onset/comeup, only last 2-3 hours, can redose, has precision. Also available in gummies and other edible formats; but I like the precision/specificity of the drops.

Tom

hey dr. tom, take a look at this recipe and let me know if you think it's viable.

i googled "water soluble thc drop recipe" and found this bad boy:

[edit: fuck hold on, didn't realize that site was more than a blog. one moment for editing yall]

WHAT EXACTLY IS CANNABIS POWDER?​

What exactly is cannabis powder?

Water-soluble cannabis powder contains all the cannabinoids and terpenes naturally present in cannabis in a fine powder, similar to matcha tea. Sprinkle it into your favorite recipe or mix it with water or any other beverage for a quick, easy-to-measure dose of cannabis. Unlike cannabis flower or concentrates, cannabis powder is water-soluble, meaning it allows you to infuse recipes or drinks not necessarily rich in fats. Many cannabis compounds are naturally hydrophobic and only bind to fats like oil and butter.

HOW TO MAKE CANNABIS POWDER AT HOME​

How to make cannabis powder at home

While water-soluble cannabis powder might sound like a high-tech invention, you can make it at home with very simple ingredients and equipment.

EQUIPMENT​

• Mixing bowl
  • Whisk or wooden spoon
  • Measuring cup or digital scale
  • Mesh sieve or flower sifter

INGREDIENTS​

• 30-60ml cannabis oil (infused MCT oil works best, but any infused oil will get the job done)
  • 250g of tapioca maltodextrin (a food-grade starch powder derived from tapioca, similar to potato or corn starch powder)
  • 1 teaspoon of liquid or powdered sunflower lecithin (a natural emulsifier derived form sunflowers that's amphiphilic, meaning it is soluble in both water and fat)
Note: Lecithin is the key ingredient that makes this powder water soluble as it is able to absorb and emulsify the cannabis oil when mixed into water.

HOW TO MAKE CANNABIS POWDER​

Put the tapioca starch and lecithin in a large mixing bowl

Gradually add in the cannabis oil while you stir the powder

run the powder through a fine mesh sieve

cannabis powder

1. Put the tapioca starch and lecithin in a large mixing bowl.
  2. Gradually add in the cannabis oil while you stir the powder with a spoon or whisk.
  3. Once the powder and oil have combined well, run the powder through a fine mesh sieve or flour sifter for a finer end product.

@Jibult I had a whole reply typed out with pretty photos and really cool explanations, uh - but then I got high and closed the tab, window and application and just shut it down on the activity monitor when it complained, so I got no real good explanation, just guess based on some of what I've done at work.

Yeah, lecithin is an emulsifier; a pretty good one. When I had the Magical Butter, I used it. Also used it when making slow cooker butter.

I've also messed around with corn starch (really, check out oobleck on YouTube). At work, we would spray dry additives onto animal feed and that worked. This is the same kind of thing (mixing components). If you get it dry, nice and even with no lumpy bits, then yes you'd have a Cannabis powder that could be measured/mixed/etc.I don't know how active it would be - let's say 100. I've got doubts about its solubility but I think you should sacrifice and test this out.
Yeah, I think it would work. Google Ripple Powder. The future is here

Tom

Edit: It was only a matter of time. Cannabis pop rocks (legal) and Cannabis LikemAde (lik em ade candy) and pixy type sticks.

Last edited:
Effects of weed depend on the strain. Indicas as a example are way different then landrace sativas which are usually pretty stimulating. So depends on the weed really. Also you could try concentrates like hash or shatter